How would you grade this?

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, Liam said:

I think my monitor might suck. let me know if this looks horrible

5a8c9e6f21972_MarinaForegroundUnGradedgtrs.jpg

The reason many of you are seeing differences in the image in your application as opposed to the outputting file is most likely because you're exporting in a different color gamma than you're using in the app. You can embed various color gamma in the jpeg marker which ensures consistent viewing. 

Ok, unless someone goes nior I think we baked this one and are on the verge of burning it. 

[Critique]

Not to be mean, but I personally think the grades that soften his face do not fit what was shared about the narrative. We need to see some shadow in his face to denote suspicsion, hiding, scheming, fear, mystery, etc.

And typically warmer tones do not translate a thriller/narrative unless they're flanked with cooler tones. And just because there is considerable blue in this shot doesn't automatically mean those tones are cool, they were actually pretty warm in the original. 

Grading is more than just popping colors, it has to fit the theme and vision of the film and the character. Colors are character que, and can also foreshadow something or tie in a story arch.  

This was meant to be a test for fun... not to decide upon the knowledge or talent of the colorist, or filmmaker. It's all subjective anyway. I think all of the images are interesting and I've learned a ton from this. But honestly, i don't love any of them and how could I... none of you could be in my head and understand the theme and narrative within that scene...  but I sure do like a lot of them and most are better than what I came up with.

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

This was meant to be a test for fun... not to decide upon the knowledge or talent of the colorist, or filmmaker. It's all subjective anyway. I think all of the images are interesting and I've learned a ton from this. But honestly, i don't love any of them and how could I... none of you could be in my head and understand the theme and narrative within that scene...  but I sure do like a lot of them and most are better than what I came up with.

I get that. My intention is not to put down anyone's proficiencies, I think this is a great exercise. We should keep this going on new grabs. If anyone is offended, I apologize it is taken that way. 

My main point is that I think we collectively baked this particular shot. I'm seeing ppl pretty much replicate very similar results. I don't think the image lends itself to much more versatility. I could be wrong. But I doubt it. 

That being said, you have to realize there are also working professionals subscribed to these boards and some of us share our industry viewpoints and art direction. Unless you state explicitly that critique is not welcome, we're going to elicit it, because that's our normal operating mode. Comes with the territory.  

We have a mix of ppl here and I think that's what makes this community special. Everyone gets a seat at the table regardless of their background and interest level and I find that democratic and refreshing, I certaintly don't want to scare ppl away.  What I say is in the spirit of knowledge sharing, not posturing. Not all pros are open to that, some covet their knowledge to ensure job security. 

For those hobbists here, again, there is no intention to critize you as a person. In the field, critique is a normal every day occurence that professionals use to bounce their work off their peers, you build a thick skin and learn to seperate yourself from the work. You put the work forward to make sure you're communicating what you want. 

If you're open to it, you can learn insights that you may have never come across on your own. We as ppl tend to tunnel ourselves into a tight creative corner, myself included. Creativity, and skill is a muscle.  

@Matthew Hartman and I can appreciate that. But this is an enthusiasts forum more than a professional one. I can count on one hand the amount of professional narrative filmmakers that visit this site and their visits are usually infrequent.

I am not afraid of critique, I welcome it. I’ll post the worst image in the world if I think I can get useful information by posting it. But there are a lot of people that look at the this forum and are afraid to post because they don’t want to suffer the backlash. And that kinda sucks.

But I do agree this image has run its course. Perhaps, you would like to share an image for others to try?

I am heading out for another test tomorrow, so if people are interested in more ML Raw footage, I’ll gladly share some more.