GH5s good enough for photos?

64mulford

Thoughts?

I've been sold on the GH5s for video but worried about it's photo capabilities. Does anyone have an experience with it? I know it has a low megapixel count but how much do we REALLY need? Does the extra sensitivity and newer tech make it for better images than say a GH5? Are there any other limitations with the photo side of things?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't used the camera yet, but almost certainly the only issue with it will be sensor resolution.  Apart from that it will likely perform as well or better (with it's increased RAW bit depth) than the other GH series cameras - that is to say, very well indeed (but perhaps not quite as good as other offerings in it's price range).

So then you just have to decide whether the resolution is good enough for the purposes you have in mind.  For web publishing the answer is almost certainly yes; but for making prints and posters you'll be limited to somewhere around the 8.5 x 13 inches mark. 

• Super Members
3 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

Pretty much any DSLR made in the last 10 years is good enough for photos, unless your work is going on billboards. I prefer the colours of my D700 (ancient) do D750 sometimes.

You don't need a particularly high resolution for a billboard. 

Well... it is 10MP, so that CAN BE pretty skimpy for photos.

One reason I have a hard time parting with my a6500 is because I shoot more stills than video and the ability to exploit all of those 24MP for cropping in is really nice. I can bring a couple of lightweight prime lenses on a hike and know that I can zoom in by cropping in.

I have a phantom 3 advanced that shoots 12MP stills and I do feel very restricted when it comes to cropping those shots. My clients generally demand at least 3,000px across. The 12mp sensor of the Phantom 3 Advanced only gives me 4MP across.

I am really tempted to get the GH5s, but I guess I would want to get the G9 for stills as well. And then I have to start buying lenses...

Got a GH5s and finally tried the photo mode yesterday. My take is that it's plenty good as long as you can live with the 10mpx limitation. I do. I seldom print 50 cm large posters and, like about everybody today, tend to show my pictures to peaple through a screen. So 10mpx is fine. But if you like to reframe, if you're the kind of guy who print a lot of large format posters, then i'd say, get something else. I still have a good old D800 not that far that still takes the most gorgeous pictures when I need some resolution, so I am spoiled.  

How big do you print? I worked with an extremely successful high end photographer who would make wall-sized prints from 12MPs. 

The shots were stunning, but IMO they didn't quite hold up when you stand close. If you print bigger than 11X17 I might reconsider, but it depends on your personal standards so no one is going to be able to answer this question for you.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, TwoScoops said:

Pretty much any DSLR made in the last 10 years is good enough for photos, unless your work is going on billboards. I prefer the colours of my D700 (ancient) do D750 sometimes.

Holy shit, we posted the same video. ?

I worked in print for a few years, right before the industry crossover into digital. I think ppl have an understandable misconception on how printing actually works. It's similar to theater projection. Especially for things like billboards, as the video explains you have to factor in viewing distance. 

Now, for the various configurations of magizine spreads, you need a minimum of 300 dpi, and a minimum of 8MP. (8 million pixels) Again, the veiwing distance is relatively close, so pixel denisty matters a lot more here.

Sometimes, you get what you get from a client and you have to run it. 

In short, for most applications, at least on the resolution end, the GH5/s should be adequate. That being said, the GH brand of cameras have never been touted for their photos end. That does'nt mean ppl don't shoot stills with it.

This goes to show ppl that the resolution race, although nice to have, has largely been a gimmick to sell cameras.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, ntblowz said:

Just found out GH5S allows you to transfer RAW photo to your cellphone wireless, most other camera I use only allow jpeg transfer. 

A bonus of a low megapixel count!

As someone who started with a Nikon D50, then 10 megapixels is tonnes of resolution for any non-pro usage.