Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

On 10/1/2018 at 5:54 PM, Inazuma said:

I just saw David's video about the M50 and it inspired me to have a look. I was surprised to find that the M50's 1080p is actually pretty good. Perhaps one of the best HD images from any non-cinema line Canon.

Canon M50:1080-60p-no-is.thumb.jpg.0e10d3e018325a86a4409a8682f3a738.jpg

Canon 80D:

Canon80D_1080.thumb.jpg.65cb9104f088edb0eb6218814f0eb826.jpg

The difference is particularly apparent with the foliage in the corner. The codec on most canon cameras turn foliage into mush. 

I was also quite surprised at this. If you compare it to the champion GH5 or A7s 1080p is no that different. I would lower the sharpening though to avoid some aliasing that is still present. How is the mic input noise level? With the Viltrox reducer in the way this can be a very good stills / video camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I have come up with this info. Looks like it does not have a clean HDMI output, and no sound over HDMI is what I see. So...

It also has a Micro HDMI output, but this is not clean, showing a red dot in the frame (which could be cropped out in post if you are out to mimic a “2:35:1 cinemascope look by adding top and bottom black bars”)…. Also note that recording in 4K simultaneously internally and to a recording device is not possible.

HDMI OUT terminal Type D
HDMI output while recording (shooting screen without sound) available
HDMI output to HDR compatible TVs* available

The M50 has a Micro-B USB 2.0 port, a Micro HDMI Type-D port -- which supports HDMI output of the shooting screen without sound while recording.

Picked one of these up as a b cam to my C100 after deciding I couldn't justify the expensive EOS-R (considering it has too many shortcomings for me). 

The m50 is definitely a bit sharper in hd than what the typical Canon dslr can muster, but still looks soft compared to the c100. The 4k on this little thing though looks lovely, still not quite as sharp as c100 but reasonable detail without any sharpening artifacts produces a nice image - so long as you don't move the camera - RS is bad, the crop is extreme,  and of course no DPAF. As a 2nd camera for interviews, other tripod based work I think it will work quite nicely. I don't use/like gimbals but imagine this would be a great camera for that, the AF is impressive in hd. Shame they can't squeeze the wdr profile on this camera - I realise clog is saved for their premium cameras - been playing around witrh neutral profile and sharpness and contrast down, and with a little tweaking can get it to match C100.

A fun little camera with a few drawbacks, as is the Canon way

2 hours ago, ade towell said:

Picked one of these up as a b cam to my C100 after deciding I couldn't justify the expensive EOS-R (considering it has too many shortcomings for me). 

The m50 is definitely a bit sharper in hd than what the typical Canon dslr can muster, but still looks soft compared to the c100. The 4k on this little thing though looks lovely, still not quite as sharp as c100 but reasonable detail without any sharpening artifacts produces a nice image - so long as you don't move the camera - RS is bad, the crop is extreme,  and of course no DPAF. As a 2nd camera for interviews, other tripod based work I think it will work quite nicely. I don't use/like gimbals but imagine this would be a great camera for that, the AF is impressive in hd. Shame they can't squeeze the wdr profile on this camera - I realise clog is saved for their premium cameras - been playing around witrh neutral profile and sharpness and contrast down, and with a little tweaking can get it to match C100.

A fun little camera with a few drawbacks, as is the Canon way

Nice write up. Have you used other Canon cameras with your C100? Like a 80D, older Rebel. Trying to figure out what would be the cheapest, sharpest to match a C100. I know that is going to be hard to do.

Thanks - yes tried the 750d and it looks like horrible mush compared to c100, m50 is still fairly soft in hd but better, in 4k it is close enough. Unfortunately Canon haven't offered decent hd video in any of their reasonably priced dslrs and probably never will - have been using Panasonic GH2 up til now with  c100 and works better than 750d as the sharpness difference isn't so jarring. The m50 is a step closer - it is tiny though and feels a bit unbalanced in the hand with Canon 17-55mm 2.8 and adapter, the little kit lens it came with suits it better. AF works fine with Viltrox adapter, but the other issue with Canon is that for all their great AF abilities they don't have any decent fast lenses with STM and IS. Almost all my lenses are USM and so make a lot of noise when using AF and don't seem quite as responsive as the little 15-45mm kit lens

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of YT videos of people using the m50 in 1080 & their skin always looks flat, lacking depth or something. Maybe it's the IPB? I shot 4k IPB on the Eos R in NYC and 1080p 60p in ALL-I; the 1080p looked so bad imo. The 4k on the Eos R looked really good, except I saw my copy had a few large white hot pixels. I bet the next version of their APS-C will have DPAF, but it will still have an additional crop in 4k. I hope they try to compete with Fuji/Sony, but they seem to just do their own thing since the majority of their segmentation will buy whatever the hell they put out there. 

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I see a lot of YT videos of people using the m50 in 1080 & their skin always looks flat, lacking depth or something. Maybe it's the IPB? I shot 4k IPB on the Eos R in NYC and 1080p 60p in ALL-I; the 1080p looked so bad imo. The 4k on the Eos R looked really good, except I saw my copy had a few large white hot pixels. I bet the next version of their APS-C will have DPAF, but it will still have an additional crop in 4k. I hope they try to compete with Fuji/Sony, but they seem to just do their own thing since the majority of their segmentation will buy whatever the hell they put out there. 

Could be bad color grades? I doubt Canon will ever try to compete with Sony or Fuji, they'll always be two steps behind. 

Could be, but I see them switch between a 5D and the m50 for different angles. Should be the same grade. It doesn't seem terrible, just more simple. I want canon to release a new g7x with 120p & 4k. That would be an awesome pocket camera, I heard the sony ones don't really focus well in their slow motion?

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Could be, but I see them switch between a 5D and the m50 for different angles. Should be the same grade. It doesn't seem terrible, just more simple. I want canon to release a new g7x with 120p & 4k. That would be an awesome pocket camera, I heard the sony ones don't really focus well in their slow motion?

I am not sure if the A7III can focus or not in 120fps. Keep in mind its full frame so its using more processing power in the first place.

I am pretty confident the A7000 is going to give everything the XT3 has and more. Other then color, they probably won't deliver in that department. But if its 10 bit the image will be malleable enough to do a lot with regardless.

The a7iii does focus in 120p pretty sure, I was referring to the "pocket cameras", rx100 v etc. I was interested in one, but I read that the focus goes pretty numb in 120p, not sure if that is true. Saw andrew mention something of it a long time ago, but can't remember if that was the rx100 iv that had problems in 120p

On 11/26/2018 at 11:44 PM, Snowbro said:

This is because they are doing something that they shouldn't There's nothing wrong with the skintones of this camera, if you use the proper settings and profiles. I'n enjoying the dynamic range also. 

8 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

This is because they are doing something that they shouldn't There's nothing wrong with the skintones of this camera, if you use the proper settings and profiles. I'n enjoying the dynamic range also. 

I like it... was that 4K or 1080p... am on my phone, so I can’t really check. Which profiles have you tried? In the past I’ve used Prolost Flat, Marvels and Technicolor, but I’ve only used the last two briefly on the M10... so...

This camera is so cheap right now, I should pick one up to temporarily kill my GAS and save me from buying an X-T3 until there’s a price drop. Also what lens(es) have you been using with these tests?

29 minutes ago, mercer said:

I like it... was that 4K or 1080p... am on my phone, so I can’t really check. Which profiles have you tried? In the past I’ve used Prolost Flat, Marvels and Technicolor, but I’ve only used the last two briefly on the M10... so...

This camera is so cheap right now, I should pick one up to temporarily kill my GAS and save me from buying an X-T3 until there’s a price drop. Also what lens(es) have you been using with these tests?

it's visioncolor visiontech 2.0. I'm waiting for my Viltrox focal reducer which found for 110 euro. Will be great. The 1,7 crop on video and 1,1 on photos, almost full frame. 

On 11/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, ade towell said:

The 4k on this little thing though looks lovely, still not quite as sharp as c100

4K doesn't look as sharp as 1080??

Oh Canon......  you never stop being you. 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:28 AM, ade towell said:

Unfortunately Canon haven't offered decent hd video in any of their reasonably priced dslrs and probably never will - have been using Panasonic GH2 up til now with  c100 and works better than 750d as the sharpness difference isn't so jarring

The Panasonic GH2 is still a solid ultra low budget buy even in nearly 2019

On 12/3/2018 at 5:17 AM, gatopardo said:

It is the kit lens 15-45mm

I do like this though, I wish more kit lenses started at 15mm for APS-C

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I do like this though, I wish more kit lenses started at 15mm for APS-C

They have a crop factor of X1.6, that is why they start from 15mm and 11mm in their ultra wide zoom, while others start from 16 and 12mm. Everyone has a 16mm kit lens.