Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

On 23/05/2018 at 5:49 AM, Don Kotlos said:

That being said, even if a lens does not resolve the 4K resolution, it can still create a very nice filmic image since you won't notice any aliasing artifacts and there is going to be a gradual decrease in amplitude of the higher spatial frequencies.  

Isn't the technical term "optical low pass filter" ??? :glasses:

Just like the early days of Microsoft...  it's not a bug - it's a FEATURE!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The speed booster and the C-Mount lenses came in today! The speed booster is fishy. Using my all manual CONTAX Zeiss, the image displayed on the M50 is super choppy. Almost like the video card in the camera cant handle it or something. Really weird. But when I put an actual EF lens with electronic contacts on it, it works fine. I assume this has something to do with my Leitax mount CONTAX glass. 

IMG_2435.JPG

Below is the CONTAX ZEISS 28mm F2.8 WITH the speed booster. Shot 1080p, 24fps. I did test the booster, and autofocus with dual pixel DOES work and it works well. What is interesting using this adapter with this camera is, this is the ONLY Canon camera that shoots full frame video with focus peaking and a 4k mode that has a flip out screen. I hope to see a fully articulating screen like this with focus peaking on the future full frame mirrorless from canon. 

5b062c794f532_SpeedBooster.thumb.jpg.ba18a372571cb6d622c094c1890920bc.jpg

Below is the same lens. Same distance. Without the speed booster. Just using the EF-M to EF adapter from Canon. 

5b062ca3558fd_NoSpeedBooster.thumb.jpg.5cea53f305b238feff223b8261610939.jpg

IMG_2439.JPG

The c-mount lenses were a downer. You get very serious vignette, even in 4k. I know there are some C-Mount lenses that mount on APS-C. Maybe I should pick some of those up. The only way to use the C-Mount in 4k is to either crop it to square format, or zoom in 150%. Neither is a practical thing and I wish I did more research on this before I jumped in. Anyone know any C-Mount lenses that would suffice on a 2.4x crop? 

5b062b3b487b0_C-Mount4Ktest100.thumb.jpg.cd186099b29377c669763ed50542d76d.jpg

100%

5b062b47bd6f7_C-Mount4Ktest150.thumb.jpg.1b34221aacf26f08a2a7711a61101c0a.jpg

150%

5b062b54a7dca_C-Mount4KtestSQUARE.thumb.jpg.8529d81ef457e5bd9525fe6d66bce8d7.jpg

Square format

27 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

The speed booster and the C-Mount lenses came in today! The speed booster is fishy. Using my all manual CONTAX Zeiss, the image displayed on the M50 is super choppy. Almost like the video card in the camera cant handle it or something. Really weird. But when I put an actual EF lens with electronic contacts on it, it works fine. I assume this has something to do with my Leitax mount CONTAX glass. 

When those lenses are mounted do they touch any electrical contacts that connect to the camera?

It sounds to me like the camera might be frantically trying to talk to the lens and it's interfering with the cameras ability to function smoothly.  Perhaps a bit of sticky-tape over any pins or contacts might stop it?  It may not work but is cheap and worth a try :)

Or, maybe there's a mode in the camera for shooting without a lens?  Also worth trying perhaps.

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

IMG_2435.JPG

Below is the CONTAX ZEISS 28mm F2.8 WITH the speed booster. Shot 1080p, 24fps. I did test the booster, and autofocus with dual pixel DOES work and it works well. What is interesting using this adapter with this camera is, this is the ONLY Canon camera that shoots full frame video with focus peaking and a 4k mode that has a flip out screen. I hope to see a fully articulating screen like this with focus peaking on the future full frame mirrorless from canon. 

5b062c794f532_SpeedBooster.thumb.jpg.ba18a372571cb6d622c094c1890920bc.jpg

Below is the same lens. Same distance. Without the speed booster. Just using the EF-M to EF adapter from Canon. 

5b062ca3558fd_NoSpeedBooster.thumb.jpg.5cea53f305b238feff223b8261610939.jpg

IMG_2439.JPG

The c-mount lenses were a downer. You get very serious vignette, even in 4k. I know there are some C-Mount lenses that mount on APS-C. Maybe I should pick some of those up. The only way to use the C-Mount in 4k is to either crop it to square format, or zoom in 150%. Neither is a practical thing and I wish I did more research on this before I jumped in. Anyone know any C-Mount lenses that would suffice on a 2.4x crop? 

5b062b3b487b0_C-Mount4Ktest100.thumb.jpg.cd186099b29377c669763ed50542d76d.jpg

100%

5b062b47bd6f7_C-Mount4Ktest150.thumb.jpg.1b34221aacf26f08a2a7711a61101c0a.jpg

150%

5b062b54a7dca_C-Mount4KtestSQUARE.thumb.jpg.8529d81ef457e5bd9525fe6d66bce8d7.jpg

Square format

The 1080p looks great.

I was afraid of those lenses... I think they may be 2/3rds lenses and you will need 1 inch c-mount lenses and even then... anything wider than 10mm probably will vignette. 

• Administrators

Yeah it's a 2.4x crop so similar to GH4 4K and the c-mount lenses need to be over 25mm to cover. Wide angle and zooms tend not to work.

Check out the Blackmagic Super 16mm c-mount lens thread here...

And the lenses sticky always worth a look

My M50 has arrived as well and been shooting c-mount with it.

Zeiss Tevidon 25mm F1.4 favourite so far, looks lovely!

The Canon TV 50mm F1.4 is also nice.

It's just that they are a bit soft wide open and the M50 doesn't apply much sharpening to the picture so it can look a little mushy... filmic and analogue though, which is better than over sharpened and digital.

Thanks @EOSHD_Twitter and @mercer!

I need to do more testing. The rolling shutter is so so bad though. Is it worse than a6300? Looks like it to me. This camera just needs to be locked down when in 4K mode lol. 

Speedbooster is really working well. I need to pick up some EF glass to do more tests. M50 with speed booster makes Canons only fullframe mirrorless camera! ;) 

One extra thing I’m trying out is adding an adapter to the 22mm f2. I love that little lens and it’s really the best part of the EF-M system. With a beastgrip wide angle lens, it converts the 22mm to a 10mm f2 lens! Haha. Fun stuff. Keeps the autofocus too. The beast grip wide angle lens is pretty crap. Only paid $14 for it. I’m sure there are better adapters out there. But this setup is nice and small. I ordered a step down ring so I can actually screw it on the lens. 

I’ve been playing around some more. I found a better wide angle adapter. It is able to go over the entire lens just enough to cover the lens and be gaff taped onto it. the autofocus works perfect and the new focal length is 14mm. So we now have a 14mm f2 autofocus lens. It’s perfect for vlogging! 

553D1326-83EF-4FB6-BAC0-3802ABF9867E.jpeg

015B8E3C-84BD-4724-B991-68AE44C7A20E.jpeg

Also, I found the EVF to be way too small and crappy to use as an actual method for manual focusing. So I pulled out my old BMPCC Z-Finder and it works great! I just gaff taped it to the monitor, but you could probably buy the Zacuto sticky mount for it. (You’d loose the ability to fully close the screen obviously.)

7B088C8C-7676-4C2F-B92E-FBA9AFF0695B.jpeg

Also, I don’t know why but I’m just really enjoying toying around with this camera. I can’t remember when I’ve enjoyed something this much. I had fun like this when I got my BMPCC for the first time, or when I hacked my 5D3 to shoot raw. It’s just plain fun. 

You don't need lenses over 25mm to cover GH4 4K, just that 1inch c-mounts that do cover (or get very close) are really hard to find. I did try to say these lenses weren't particularly practical. How's the quality of the booster image wise?

4 hours ago, Yurolov said:

I'd be willing to try my s16 superspeeds if someone can find a pl adaptor. 

I think Andrew is on the right track here. Canon colour, small package, ease of use and inconspicuous. Compliments a bolex well. 

Only issue is, ROLLING SHUTTER IS SO SO BAD!!

• Administrators
On 25/05/2018 at 2:34 AM, DaveAltizer said:

7B088C8C-7676-4C2F-B92E-FBA9AFF0695B.jpeg

Also, I don’t know why but I’m just really enjoying toying around with this camera. I can’t remember when I’ve enjoyed something this much. I had fun like this when I got my BMPCC for the first time, or when I hacked my 5D3 to shoot raw. It’s just plain fun. 

You hit the nail on the head there... it's so much fun

Simple, satisfying image, great peaking and EVF, no real quirks getting in the way of you making an image, at least if you have the glass to match that crop.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You hit the nail on the head there... it's so much fun

Simple, satisfying image, great peaking and EVF, no real quirks getting in the way of you making an image, at least if you have the glass to match that crop.

I really hope this is a sign of things to come with that full frame mirrorless. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just saw David's video about the M50 and it inspired me to have a look. I was surprised to find that the M50's 1080p is actually pretty good. Perhaps one of the best HD images from any non-cinema line Canon.

Canon M50:1080-60p-no-is.thumb.jpg.0e10d3e018325a86a4409a8682f3a738.jpg

Canon 80D:

Canon80D_1080.thumb.jpg.65cb9104f088edb0eb6218814f0eb826.jpg

The difference is particularly apparent with the foliage in the corner. The codec on most canon cameras turn foliage into mush. 

Yeh it seems like a great casual, compact camera. One of the reasons I was holding out was because of the the lack of primes, but I'm really pleased they've now released a 32mm f1.4. 

Can anyone tell me how much of a delay there is when switching between evf and LCD?

5 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Yeh it seems like a great casual, compact camera. One of the reasons I was holding out was because of the the lack of primes, but I'm really pleased they've now released a 32mm f1.4. 

Can anyone tell me how much of a delay there is when switching between evf and LCD

How would you compare it to the c100s 1080p?