Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

@ntblowz

Regarding the Speed Booster, do you have a link to this guy in Korea doing the conversion?

Also does it Dual Pixel AF through it after conversion or are the electronic contacts completely useless?

I've been very lightly toying with the idea of an M50 but only for my Super 16 glass which adapts and matches the 4K crop factor.

If it becomes a Super 35mm camera, that means it goes from nearly 3x crop to 1.5x crop with your Speed Booster - which would need a reduction factor of 0.5x!!... Seems a bit of a hefty step? Isn't the Speed Booster 0.71x for APS-C? Which would mean 2x crop like Micro Four Thirds on the M50...

The guys is selling again

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EOS-EOSM-Focal-reducer-Auto-focus-adapter-EF-EFM-EF-to-EFM-EOS-to-EOSM-Booster/302738475602

Everything functions like normal, DPAF works fine  (though I do find my 35mm F2 IS USM is more smoother than 50mm 1.8 STM),  lens correction for EF lens works fine too (dont have ultra wide to test out distortion yet)

1FDF64B0-EC70-4653-9E88-028E768E7F44.jpeg

Regarding the crop factor in 4k I thought it was 2.56x?  isn't 2.56*.71=1.8x? or is the crop even more?  I just base on it on calculation, though I need to test it vs gh5s regarding crop factor to see which have narrow view.

EOS Utility v. 3.8.20 works with M50 on tethering

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

The guys is selling again

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EOS-EOSM-Focal-reducer-Auto-focus-adapter-EF-EFM-EF-to-EFM-EOS-to-EOSM-Booster/302738475602

Everything functions like normal, DPAF works fine  (though I do find my 35mm F2 IS USM is more smoother than 50mm 1.8 STM),  lens correction for EF lens works fine too (dont have ultra wide to test out distortion yet)

1FDF64B0-EC70-4653-9E88-028E768E7F44.jpeg

Regarding the crop factor in 4k I thought it was 2.56x?  isn't 2.56*.71=1.8x? or is the crop even more?  I just base on it on calculation, though I need to test it vs gh5s regarding crop factor to see which have narrow view.

EOS Utility v. 3.8.20 works with M50 on tethering

DANNNG. Thanks for posting. Just bought the last one! ?

5 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Man, some of you are prepared to jump through a lot of hoops just to get that Canon color in 4K. It's 2018, it shouldn't be that hard, don't you loyalist think?

Of course. But I’m a youtuber. All my canon related videos get twice as many views as non canon videos. So I do whatever I can and find anything I can to talk about canon cameras. 

18 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Of course. But I’m a youtuber. All my canon related videos get twice as many views as non canon videos. So I do whatever I can and find anything I can to talk about canon cameras. 

What a sellout! :yum:

Will be interested to see your experience with c-mount lens.

1 hour ago, tweak said:

Neither of those lenses are particularly great. Fun to mess around with for a stylised look though if you're after that. (I've had both).

What are the BEST c mount primes then if I wanted a good wide and a good normal focal length? Any advice on Zooms? Any that are amazing?

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

What are the BEST c mount primes then if I wanted a good wide and a good normal focal length? Any advice on Zooms? Any that are amazing?

There are no c-mount lenses that can resolve 4K - most don't even resolve HD.

52 minutes ago, Django said:

not to mention i'm seeing some pretty severe spherical abberation from the sample pics of that custom adapter.. usually result of poorer quality focal reducers..

https://www.popco.net/zboard/view.php?id=dica_forum_canon&page=1&sn1=&divpage=3&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&keyword=부스터&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=10172

I posted some full res photo sample on dpreview forum.

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/61111222

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

There are no c-mount lenses that can resolve 4K - most don't even resolve HD.

There are some machine vision C-mount lenses that do resolve 4K but they are fairly expensive and certainly not worth buying for the M50. 

That being said, even if a lens does not resolve the 4K resolution, it can still create a very nice filmic image since you won't notice any aliasing artifacts and there is going to be a gradual decrease in amplitude of the higher spatial frequencies.  

5 hours ago, Django said:

still seeing what appears like spherical abberation. any chance you could provide us with some video samples? with the (1.5x ?) crop in 4K that effect should be diminished.

It looks fairly well contained though. Im going to make a video with the one I get and start bugging Metabones to make one. I hope they do. 

41 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

It looks fairly well contained though. Im going to make a video with the one I get and start bugging Metabones to make one. I hope they do. 

I wrote to Metabones and Viltrox about this - Metabones said they have an ef-m speedbooster in their plans but couldn't discuss any further details. Viltrox said they're planning to release one in a few months. 

I'd recommend the Fujinon CF primes, best bang for buck and look, although some need work adapting them. Some of the Canon and Fujinon zooms for 1inch are nice but they never rival primes from the era really and the best ones are still expensive. C-mount primes in Wide angles are pretty hard to come by (especially so for decent prices). You could go the Kowa 6mm or 8mm if you want a proper wide angle, then pair it with some longer fujinon primes.

If you want sharp and vintage, go with Kerns or Zeiss Tevidon. The Kerns should fit in most c-mount adapters, the Tevidons may need to be modified using one of those kits they sell on eBay.

But Tweak is right, the Fujinon C-Mounts are awesome. There’s a guy in England that will modify all of them and declick them. 

Also, I wonder if the old Arri S16mm or Schneider Lenses can adapt to EF-M Mount.

I also think the Schneider c-mounts are supposed to be that good.