Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I don't mind it when the digital sharpness of 4K is turned down. In 1080p, it was a problem. In 4K, nope, I'm fine thanks for detail and don't mind it turned down a notch.

Sounds a bit like people who defended soft HD because you still got so much better resolution than even good SD?

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So yes... Competitively speaking, it's a shit camera. But it's cheap. And it could accidentally be a nice Super 16 creative cam....

It is US$780 body only

You could buy nearly four Z Cam E1 for that amount. 

Or you could buy a Nikon D7500 for this (just went on sale btw, dropped down to this price. Well, only a hundred dollars more:  https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/11/new-low-price-refurbished-nikon-d7500-camera-for-899.aspx/. Seems the D7500 is not only a much better stills camera, but a better video image too). 

Or you could buy a Panasonic G7 with a lens and still have hundreds spare. Or get a Panasonic G85 with a lens for only a hundred dollars more.

Sorry, but whichever way I look at this then the M50 doesn't make sense. If Canon slashes its price in half then we could start talking. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

If Canon slashes its price in half then we could start talking. 

Or when ML is ported to the camera...  although that might be a tall order depending on what the insides look like from a technical perspective.

39 minutes ago, kye said:

Or when ML is ported to the camera...  although that might be a tall order depending on what the insides look like from a technical perspective.

Not using the same base OS in the M50 as in the Canon DSLR series, thus I reckon the chances are near ish nil that ML will be ported across.

34 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Not using the same base OS in the M50 as in the Canon DSLR series, thus I reckon the chances are near ish nil that ML will be ported across.

Ah.  Yep, almost zero chance then.  No matter - we've almost got 4K RAW on the 5D and almost 1920 RAW on the crop-sensor models.

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Actually I don’t know if we definitely know this yet. The past few models have been based on the powesgot but the first few were based on their DSLRs. I assume they are continuing the trend but I haven’t heard one way or the other. But this thing won’t be ported or even worked on Seriously for a very long time considering the new Digic processor used... they haven’t even figured out the 80D yet.

I know I'm late to reply to this thread but I just want to say that I think Canon nailed it with this camera! 

My main gripe is that it doesn't have dual pixel autofocus for the 4k, but overall its a solid vlog camera and a good photo camera as well. 

On 18/04/2018 at 8:42 AM, omar said:

I know I'm late to reply to this thread but I just want to say that I think Canon nailed it with this camera! 

My main gripe is that it doesn't have dual pixel autofocus for the 4k, but overall its a solid vlog camera and a good photo camera as well. 

Have you used this camera personally Omar?  If so, what type of filming do you do?

With all things, the features of a camera can be great or terrible depending on what you are using it for :)

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎12 at 7:31 PM, IronFilm said:

Sounds a bit like people who defended soft HD because you still got so much better resolution than even good SD?

It is US$780 body only

You could buy nearly four Z Cam E1 for that amount. 

Or you could buy a Nikon D7500 for this (just went on sale btw, dropped down to this price. Well, only a hundred dollars more:  https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/11/new-low-price-refurbished-nikon-d7500-camera-for-899.aspx/. Seems the D7500 is not only a much better stills camera, but a better video image too). 

Or you could buy a Panasonic G7 with a lens and still have hundreds spare. Or get a Panasonic G85 with a lens for only a hundred dollars more.

Sorry, but whichever way I look at this then the M50 doesn't make sense. If Canon slashes its price in half then we could start talking. 

Big price drops are unlikely considering it's build quality and the relative complexity of the design. As a camera it is fine, vastly better ergonomically than the original EOS-M versions for sure. The video quality of the camera is not going to be driving it's pricing IMO.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:26 AM, kye said:

Have you used this camera personally Omar?  If so, what type of filming do you do?

With all things, the features of a camera can be great or terrible depending on what you are using it for :)

I own the camera. I’ve used it for about 3 weeks now and love it!

I mainly do vlogs but I’ve also done some cinematic test with it and it rocked! It’s not an Alexa but it’s still a powerful tool.

here is my film test: 

and here is my latest vlog: 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Got the speedbooster for my M50, now I can have FF look in a compact setup and Canon colour, and 4K is now super 35mm instead of super 16mm look.

Your picture shows the Viltrof EF- E II adapter...but that is an E-mount adapter? See here

Can you point us in the direction of a EF - EF-M focal reducer with AF (as there are many 'dumb' options)

@ntblowz @Timotheus I emailed Viltrox last week and they mentioned they're going to release a speedbooster for eosm in a few months - although I don't know when they'll announce that officially. Metabones previously also told me they were looking into designing one but were unable to discuss any details at all. Looks like you had your speedbooster modified to fit the M50 with electronic contacts? It looks great!

Personally I look forward to using a speedbooster with the original eos m with magic lantern, especially now that it can do continuous raw recording at 2.5k resolution in crop mode with the sd card hack.

2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Your picture shows the Viltrof EF- E II adapter...but that is an E-mount adapter? See here

Can you point us in the direction of a EF - EF-M focal reducer with AF (as there are many 'dumb' options)

Like Alpicat said it was modified to EFM mount and EFM connector at back from E mount, there is no manufacturer making it except some Korean guy who modify other brands to retrofit to EFM mount.

2 hours ago, Alpicat said:

@ntblowz @Timotheus I emailed Viltrox last week and they mentioned they're going to release a speedbooster for eosm in a few months - although I don't know when they'll announce that officially. Metabones previously also told me they were looking into designing one but were unable to discuss any details at all. Looks like you had your speedbooster modified to fit the M50 with electronic contacts? It looks great!

Personally I look forward to using a speedbooster with the original eos m with magic lantern, especially now that it can do continuous raw recording at 2.5k resolution in crop mode with the sd card hack.

Good to know other manufacturer are going to make one, technically it should be much easier to do since it just Canon system passing through, dunno why they still haven't make one yet!  For me I need one asap for works so can't wait that long.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:16 AM, mercer said:

@ntblowz any 4K samples or initial thoughts on the camera. I’ve already seen some decent grey market prices pop up on it, but I’m waiting until more footage shows up before I open the wallet. 

I did a interview shot with c100mkii and m50 in 4k after the trip in japan.. sadly c100 @ 1080p is still sharper than m50 @ 4k, but m50 was using efm 11-22mm @ f4 and 2 c100mkii on 50mm stm and 35mm usm both stop down to f2.8 I think,  so lens might have a play there.

Colour wise it is still got canon look which looks good without any grading, easily fit with c100 with just minor touch.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I did a interview shot with c100mkii and m50 in 4k after the trip in japan.. sadly c100 @ 1080p is still sharper than m50 @ 4k, but m50 was using efm 11-22mm @ f4 and 2 c100mkii on 50mm stm and 35mm usm both stop down to f2.8 I think,  so lens might have a play there.

Colour wise it is still got canon look which looks good without any grading, easily fit with c100 with just minor touch.

The C100 sensor is a classic one, I wouldn't expect the M50 to be that good (in low light performance, as well). It makes me wonder, why just not Canon implement a better codec on this camera, and keep it relevant a lot more than it is (I already used the C100mkII in 2 projects this year, GH5 and my Samsung in the rest, so C100 is still relevant, but you know what I mean).

All the reviews of the 11-22mm I have read, speak about an ultra sharp lens, even wide open, I could guess if you stopped down to 5.6f that would be enough to match most primes. It is a good lens. M50 is an interesting little camera, but as Canon describe it, is an entry level M camera, so I wouldn't expect much of it. I am pretty confident that we will see more M cameras, soon, and they will be a lot more exciting. Top wish? A pro M body, a camera that can truly replace my NX1 as a hybrid with amazing ergonomics/touch screen implementation and focus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

@ntblowz

Regarding the Speed Booster, do you have a link to this guy in Korea doing the conversion?

Also does it Dual Pixel AF through it after conversion or are the electronic contacts completely useless?

I've been very lightly toying with the idea of an M50 but only for my Super 16 glass which adapts and matches the 4K crop factor.

If it becomes a Super 35mm camera, that means it goes from nearly 3x crop to 1.5x crop with your Speed Booster - which would need a reduction factor of 0.5x!!... Seems a bit of a hefty step? Isn't the Speed Booster 0.71x for APS-C? Which would mean 2x crop like Micro Four Thirds on the M50...