Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

If you don't care about 4K while blogging then the M50 looks a very decent camera (I never understood the need to see a babbling face in 4K :) )

In 4K other than the crop and lack of dual focus, there is massive rolling shutter that would make it useless for blogging anyways. Good thing is that you still have the 4K option for deep DoF static shots/interviews etc... 

Bad aliasing artifacts at around 5:50 on that building in the rear.

12 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

If you don't care about 4K while blogging then the M50 looks a very decent camera (I never understood the need to see a babbling face in 4K :) )

In 4K other than the crop and lack of dual focus, there is massive rolling shutter that would make it useless for blogging anyways. Good thing is that you still have the 4K option for deep DoF static shots/interviews etc... 

I agree with the above, but would add that 4K can be nice for talking head stuff for people whose channels are higher quality and more like they're the presenter of a show rather than someone recording inane verbal diarrhoea to amuse themselves while in-transit to somewhere unimportant (which - let's be honest - is most vlogs).  This camera could easily do the presenter style videos because those people shoot under controlled conditions (essentially in a studio set) and so manual focus and a chair with a backrest would work well in these instances.  RS doesn't matter as much if the camera is on a tripod and it's just a person talking.

If they had to make compromises (it's Canon, so we'll let the ML team determine if they were necessary) then they're not so bad for vlogging I think.

18 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Many vloggers use a LOT of punch ins, so higher resolution is very handy for that. 

• Super Members

True, depending on how much one wants to peep, you can punch in on HD for youtube and no one would ever know.
I know plenty that have done it for years including myself (I believe in 99% of all my videos), no complaints so far.
On standard HD DSLR footage I go 80% punch in without thinking twice about it :)

I will of course go further with 4K, but for a blog it would be sufficient imo.

BTW,

After watching Kais sample footage this camera got very interesting imo. I don't need it right now but maybe after the summer when it can be found used I would consider it. I always liked the original M and M3 for stills so this should be about the same plus really good looking video, at least to my eye.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Many vloggers use a LOT of punch ins, so higher resolution is very handy for that. 

59 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

True, depending on how much one wants to peep, you can punch in on HD for youtube and no one would ever know.
I know plenty that have done it for years including myself (I believe in 99% of all my videos), no complaints so far.

It depends on why you are punching in.  In a true example of story > IQ I see many vloggers digital zoom in to 5x or 10x if there's something funny going on (especially of faces that people make in the background when they say something noteworthy).  If they only do it for maybe a quarter of a second then the blurry and noisy quality is almost a filter that says "I punched in to this funny thing'.

Part of my choice of the XC10 was that between the higher bitrate 4K and the lens IS the lens IS takes care of blur during the exposures of each frame and then I can punch-in or stabilise in post to smooth or eliminate macro-sized movement, meaning I don't have all the downsides of owning a gimbal.  Obviously it's not quite the same, but it's a lot better than you'd think, especially if you're only rendering to 1080.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Many volgers however use the punch in to make jump cuts when they are blabbing to long or get side tracked. And for that HD is fine imo.

My partner is starting her own business and part of her duties is public speaking, so I'm learning a bit about editing those videos.  When you're going to smaller events they only film them with one camera (if they film them at all) so if you want to edit the speech down for length or to take out awkward moments then I've found punching in to be very useful.

As much as I think people look down on YT and vloggers I have learned a lot about low budget film-making from watching how the best of them handle difficult situations.  Partly because their publishing schedule is too fast to allow endless re-takes of things, and partly because they often talk about filming, or walk past mirrors, etc so you get to see a bit of behind-the-scenes as well.
I particularly benefit from the fact that they have little to no planning, shoot under uncontrolled conditions and then have to make the best of it in the edit room, as that's also what my run-and-gun shooting is like with family holidays etc.  

On 3/17/2018 at 12:05 AM, kye said:

It depends on why you are punching in.  In a true example of story > IQ I see many vloggers digital zoom in to 5x or 10x if there's something funny going on (especially of faces that people make in the background when they say something noteworthy).  If they only do it for maybe a quarter of a second then the blurry and noisy quality is almost a filter that says "I punched in to this funny thing'.

Yup! Some YouTubers punch is so extreme is must be like 240p or worse!

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yup! Some YouTubers punch is so extreme is must be like 240p or worse!

I think many times it's "worse" rather than silky smooth 240p!

1 hour ago, Aussie Ash said:

Many you"tubers" have this problem, ten minutes of "talking head"to say something that could have been summirized in 60 seconds.

Yeah, and you know what 'streaming' is and why it's becoming so popular right?  It's making videos without the editing.  Or, as I like to call it, "you save 4 hours editing and 100,000 people waste 30 minutes watching crap you should have edited out - creating a total waste of 50,000 hours minus the 4 you saved yourself".  Or shorter - "selfish and worse".

Of course, some you tubers had already worked out that not editing anything saved them time before streaming became a thing.

In case any YouTubers are reading this, please drink deeply from the following statement...   IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PRE-WRITTEN SHOW WITH MULTIPLE PRESENTERS AND AT LEAST ONE PERSON PRODUCING THEN YOU ARE WASTING THOUSANDS OF HOURS (OR MORE) OF HUMANITIES TIME.  IF YOU'RE NOT A PRO AND CAN'T DEVOTE THAT KIND OF TIME THEN DON'T STREAM, AND IF YOU ARE A PRO AND YOU'RE NOT DOING THIS THEN DO YOUR F**KING JOB AND KEEP IT INTERESTING FOR THE WHOLE F**KING SHOW.

I know I don't have to watch, and I'm optimistic that eventually everyone else will work this out, but in the meantime the person whose time you wasted might have done something that helped cured cancer instead of watching you read the comments section without saying anything useful.

Ok, rant over.

Well the problem I see with it is the more often you post the more money you make. So it leads to trying to get a Vlog out Every day. who can come up with interesting info that others could give a crap about everyday? Casey seemed to be the only one that sort of was doing that with much success in content. But his was like 12 minutes on average I think.

The ones that only come out say once a week you Can accumulate a decent amount of Useful information to go  on for 30 minutes. I follow a lot of Sailboat Vloggers and in a week sailing around they do have a story worth hearing that lasts up to 30 minutes or more..

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well the problem I see with it is the more often you post the more money you make. So it leads to trying to get a Vlog out Every day. who can come up with interesting info that others could give a crap about everyday? Casey seemed to be the only one that sort of was doing that with much success in content. But his was like 12 minutes on average I think.

The ones that only come out say once a week you Can accumulate a decent amount of Useful information to go  on for 30 minutes. I follow a lot of Sailboat Vloggers and in a week sailing around they do have a story worth hearing that lasts up to 30 minutes or more..

Casey is ok, but i do not watch him 99% of the time

there are a few filmmakers/photographers are doing great jobs in youtube sharing free tips and tutorials in under 2-3 minutes

i'm very interested in those clips because there are so many youtubers day by day i wouldn't watch a daily vlog for 10+ mins anymore

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well the problem I see with it is the more often you post the more money you make.

It is not just about frequency, they still need to offer something in terms of content. A person could upload hourly just white noise, and it would get them nowhere fast

On 3/22/2018 at 1:30 PM, eoslover said:

i'm very interested in those clips because there are so many youtubers day by day i wouldn't watch a daily vlog for 10+ mins anymore

Yeah but I am retired, so I have pretty much the whole day to watch Vloggers if I want to. And some days I am watching 10+ hours of them or more. I have always tried to learn new things every day, even when I was young.. My Favorites file on Firefox has just a crazy amount of items in it. Over a 1,000 easy.

And no I don't follow Casey much myself either as of late. Really not too much interested in what he even reviews. I rarely buy Anything new as since retirement my spending money is on the weak side as they say. I pretty much have to sell something to buy something else expensive. So I only buy used stuff, and even then used like new stuff. That way I find it is easier to re sell for close to the same as I paid for it if I am lucky..

• 2 weeks later...