Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im surprised so many call it overpriced, all the stores I've seen are listing it very cheap.

They feel $779 is too expensive while found $2000 is a bargain price on some camera, what a world we living!

10 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Agree, the camera is not expensive at all, the price is right, and if it had DPAF in 4k will be a bargain....

Yes but it doesn't have DPAF...  

Do we know if it is a technical limitation or just Canon being Canon?

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Yes but it doesn't have DPAF...  

Do we know if it is a technical limitation or just Canon being Canon?

Nobody really knows, could be a hardware limitation due to overheating or something else, but since the camera do has DPAF in HD, most probably is just a market decision....

"With a crop factor of 1.6x (or 2.56x total crop relative to full-frame) the video mode is almost unusable." 

The stock photo literally has a 15mm lens on it. Sounds useable to me. 

The pocket is 3x and looks better than any Sony or Panasonic DSLR. 

Will there be a speed booster for this camera? 

Canon color + 4k for 800 is great. Depends what youre using it for. I imagine on a gimbal or for interviews this could be rad. You really don't totally need auto focus with a crop so high. 

The widest you can go natively in 4K is 28-29mm with the UWZ they have, which isn't that wide, but definitely usable. You just have to buy another lens (in M system, the 22mm and the UWZ are mandatory I believe, only good lenses of the system) and the 22mm is 56-57mm equiv. still workable, but on the tele side of things for a youtuber I guess.

I would be more interested to actual see footage of that said 4K, and other video formats than the crop numbers, but certainly is an inconvenient crop (I shoot wide to medium most of the times, from fish eye to around 80mm equiv, so that would not been practical for me, but as a 2nd 3rd camera, I wouldn't mind much).

The battery life is a huge minus though I had issues with Sony cameras and their small batteries, and it seems that this one is even worst.

I think people just get used to complain for everything that Canon release....this is a cheap camera, with Canon color, no overheating, 4K, intercheable lenses, and DPAF in HD.....for anyone who doesn't need 4K is a great camera, there are already some adapters to reduce the crop as @mercer previously quoted, even for people that doesn't need DPAF in 4K is a great camera ether (I need DPAF in 4K so I will not be getting this baby but anyway looks incredible).....so please guys, if it is not the right tool for you just move on and get a GH5s or latest Sony, obviously much more expensive cameras....

4 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I think people just get used to complain for everything that Canon release....this is a cheap camera, with Canon color, no overheating, 4K, intercheable lenses, and DPAF in HD.....for anyone who doesn't need 4K is a great camera, there are already some adapters to reduce the crop as @mercer previously quoted, even for people that doesn't need DPAF in 4K is a great camera ether (I need DPAF in 4K so I will not be getting this baby but anyway looks incredible).....so please guys, if it is not the right tool for you just move on and get a GH5s or latest Sony, obviously much more expensive cameras....

..or stay with the ones we have (buying cheaper, do more - in this case). That is always an option as well. People do not have to buy every camera ever existed (except if they want of course, but they do not have to).

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I guess it depends on the shooter. I don't see how it in any shape or form would be inconvenient just because its a hybrid. Luckily there are options for all.

It's inconvenient because you have to carry an extra set of lenses with you if you want to shoot the same angles of view in 4k

8 hours ago, Inazuma said:

It's inconvenient because you have to carry an extra set of lenses with you if you want to shoot the same angles of view in 4k

I agree with you. A lot of people consider a 'good hybrid camera' as the ability to shoot good stills and video. I think a 'really good hybrid camera' allows you to switch between 'stills and video seamlessly'. So any 'automatic crop' (that isnt a creative choice) in say 4k is a pain although most people can probably deal with 1.2x to 1.3x. I also find it important to be able to maintain isos between stills and video useful which is why I dont like a lot of log gammas.

• Super Members

My concurrently most used camera is a x5.6 crop. But that's another subject.

I just didn't see how the relative small crop of x2.4 (less than s16, GH4, etc) would be an issue for a "hybrid". I don't see why "hybrids" needs another approach to field of view compared to others.

But its cool, its probably just depending on how one operates and a person style. I was just curious.

Let's be clear here, though. The inconvenience you get from switching from stills to video may be an issue for some. But it is only a x1.6 crop from the aps-c. You aren't suddenly zoomed in x2.4. x1.6 ought be manageable for the price point. If you are shooting video only, it shouldn't be an issue at all. You just need a wider lens. I shoot with a s16 cam and use a 9mm lens. No issues.

I am not getting it cause there is no dpaf in 4k and the battery isn't very good, both of which are understandable owing to the price and size of the camera. The higher end models should be closer to the mark.

What's funny to me is that the colors should compare favorably to the much touted $2500 GH5s.