Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
59 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

It's slightly better than the M5 and M6 and only if you prefer a vari angle over a tilt lcd

m5 and m6:

1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 35 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 24 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 24 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

1280 x 720 @ 60p / 16 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

m50:

3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 120 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 60 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 30 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 23.98p / 30 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1280 x 720 @ 120p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1280 x 720 @ 60p / 26 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

4 minutes ago, eoslover said:

m5 and m6:

1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 35 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 24 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 24 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

1280 x 720 @ 60p / 16 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

m50:

3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 120 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 60 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 30 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1920 x 1080 @ 23.98p / 30 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1280 x 720 @ 120p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

1280 x 720 @ 60p / 26 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC

We shall see how good it looks. Better bitrate means nothing if the initial readout is still crap

3 hours ago, Ben Corwin said:

Honestly, I don't even care if Canon goes bankrupt at this point. They earned it.

Well, there is no way that is going to happen, Canon is number one seller, and this camera is an entry level for soccer mom`s and uncle Ben vacation`s.....not for us.....we have to wait to see what Canon bring us in the next iterations...

Olympus has presented the PEN E PL9, a camera similar in Segment and Price to the M50, and I can't see where the PL9 is significant better than the M50. If  I had to select one from these two, i would go with the Canon. But I need a camera for video, and I can imagine both only as my D-Camera.

44 minutes ago, RedWineMogul said:

Olympus has presented the PEN E PL9, a camera similar in Segment and Price to the M50, and I can't see where the PL9 is significant better than the M50. If  I had to select one from these two, i would go with the Canon. But I need a camera for video, and I can imagine both only as my D-Camera.

I need a small camera too, was waiting that the M50 was the one, but the lack of DPAF in 4K make it unusable.....we will have to wait a little longer...

3 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I need a small camera too, was waiting that the M50 was the one, but the lack of DPAF in 4K make it unusable.....we will have to wait a little longer...

It’s funny, this is not at all what I was hoping for when the 4K rumors started floating around. I was hoping for no crop (or very minimal) and I didn’t even consider that 4K wouldn’t have DPAF... seriously the thought didn’t even enter my mind. So when it was officially released and saw the heavy crop and no DPAF, I was bummed to say the least. 

But then I began to consider the possibilities of the crop... 4K, Canon colors and c-mount lenses sounds like a great combination. The c-mounts will soften the 4K video. And to be honest... the EF-M mount doesn’t really have enough lenses to make DPAF all that appealing. Sure you can use adapters, but big clunky adapters, with big, clunky EF lenses doesn’t sound like that much fun either. 

As is, the EF-M 11-22mm plus the 22mm f/2 seems like a great combo for street photography and DPAF 1080p (which I’ve heard is pretty clean) and a couple c-mount lenses for 4K.

I don’t know... I get why people may not like the camera... but barring really bad IQ (so far so good from what I’ve seen) this could be a fun little camera that will scratch my itch when I don’t want to lug around my 5D3.

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

It’s funny, this is not at all what I was hoping for when the 4K rumors started floating around. I was hoping for no crop (or very minimal) and I didn’t even consider that 4K wouldn’t have DPAF... seriously the thought didn’t even enter my mind. So when it was officially released and saw the heavy crop and no DPAF, I was bummed to say the least. 

But then I began to consider the possibilities of the crop... 4K, Canon colors and c-mount lenses sounds like a great combination. The c-mounts will soften the 4K video. And to be honest... the EF-M mount doesn’t really have enough lenses to make DPAF all that appealing. Sure you can use adapters, but big clunky adapters, with big, clunky EF lenses doesn’t sound like that much fun either. 

As is, the EF-M 11-22mm plus the 22mm f/2 seems like a great combo for street photography and DPAF 1080p (which I’ve heard is pretty clean) and a couple c-mount lenses for 4K.

I don’t know... I get why people may not like the camera... but barring really bad IQ (so far so good from what I’ve seen) this could be a fun little camera that will scratch my itch when I don’t want to lug around my 5D3.

Sure it is going to be a little fun camera.....but in my case I don`t have the money to spend in a camera which I can not use for my projects....and I really need something small like this which I can hide in a small bag or use for gun and run without attracting much attention.....to be honest the crop didn`t bother me much......but the lack of DPAF in 4K was the breaking point.....ohhh Gosh....hope next iteration is sooner than later.....

1 hour ago, hijodeibn said:

Sure it is going to be a little fun camera.....but in my case I don`t have the money to spend in a camera which I can not use for my projects....and I really need something small like this which I can hide in a small bag or use for gun and run without attracting much attention.....to be honest the crop didn`t bother me much......but the lack of DPAF in 4K was the breaking point.....ohhh Gosh....hope next iteration is sooner than later.....

I get that and honestly if this camera is for you or not doesn’t matter at all to me but I expect the AF in 4K will be as good as the AF on the G7X Mark II... which is actually pretty damn good and should still be better with tracking and touch than any camera in its price range. But I’ll wait until more samples and reviews pop up to say for sure.

To add, I’m unsure how many points the contrast AF has but I just remembered that not only does the G7X Mark II use contrast based AF, but so does the XC10... so as much I would have loved DPAF, it still should be decent. We shall see. 

@Inazuma yeah I saw that but I really don’t think that’s a good indicator due to him shakily holding the camera. Actually as much as that camera is shaking, it’s locking onto his face pretty darn good, IMO. Obviously not as good as DPAF would do, but for me it’s not a deal breaker. As I said, I suspect it will be as good as the G7X Mark II which was praised for its AF abilities.

Okay yeah I can see the drifting from that point, but still for a contrast af, it still isn’t that bad. Panasonic, Olympus or Fuji’s variants wouldn’t have been nearly as good. So again for me, it’s a bummer there is no DPAF in 4K but still not a deal breaker. Hopefully, they’ll tweak it by the time the production model is released or in a future update... or I’ll just manual focus.

And I did, thanks. You must realize my impatience for long online videos. Lol. 

For me, I was bummed but I didn’t expect much, so in some ways for my weird reasons, it’s actually kind of an exciting release to me. I was close to just getting G7X Mark II for around the same price, so this will definitely be better than that.

I read somewhere on canonrumours I think where one of their execs basically said this was their first push into what will be a renewed plan to enter into the mirrorless market. So I am expecting more to come, and when the later iterations do come, I think most people will be pleased. They have to cripple this one to distinguish it from their higher end models (if it isnt simply a matter of hardware limitations in a small body). Once canon get it right, they will be leaders yet again - not because they have the best specs like sony, but because they are able to execute a camera correctly. 

Ask yourself this question: which camera would you more readily recommend to a soccer mom - Canon M50 or a Sony a6300? I think any rational person would pick the canon. The a6300 is too complicated a camera for the average person to use between the menus and the ergonomics. I've heard it multiple times from people in museums complaining about how they don't know how to use the camera. If they don't know how to use it they will put it down.    

I don't even think Soccer Moms buy "real" cameras anymore. They use their Smartphones. Crappy cameras are a total thing of the past. Other than 12 year old girls in Japan buying the white version of this I really see no market for it.

Other than being able to change lenses, which most average people never buy anything but the kit lens, I see nothing a Smartphone can't do over this for the average person..