Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

8 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Well, I'm a wanna-be-something that's curious as to why AF is important to vloggers is all.  Seems like many more staid vloggers could just avoid the camera messing up focus by simply not using AF.

We are all wanna-be's! The point is that by using bigger-sensor cameras (the current fad) up close and sometimes with mediocre lighting so they open up the aperture, the dof is relatively shallow and Vloggers heads move enough so that manual focus would result in the heads moving in an out of focus. But maybe they don't know how...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

That rolling shutter at the 55-57 seconds in...Doesn't look good.

Clearly this camera is not for any of us....AF in 4K is just crap....unusable.....but this is good news anyway....we will see in the next iterations new Canon cameras with 4k and DPAF....probably with a higher price...but anyway worthy.....this is just the starting point guys......let's be patience...sooner than later we will get what we are waiting for.

2 hours ago, k-robert said:

No. I am sorry.

The entry level, lowest camera in the M line is the M100, but even the M3 is still on the shelves.
I would neither consider an 800 USD camera as entry level. For this price, the M50 is rather an insult.

Actually, the whole M-line is a mess. Incomprehensible naming, i.e. segmentation, mediocre lens line-up, and empty marketing buzzwords. The "5-axis "image stabilization is "non-axis", as Canon uses electronic, software-based picture make-up, The 4K is a joke, huge crop, no dual pixel AF, and on this "Vlogging-monster" the microphone input blocks the articulated screen.

No need to apologize, it’s just a camera and a bunch of opinions. 

Well tha M5 is the direct lineage of the M3, so you really cannot say just because you can still buy an M3 that it is the entry level camera. 

The M100 on the other hand does seem like it’s the lowest on totem pole. But Canon did state in their release that the M50 is their entry level camera, so according to their US marketing it is. So maybe since this is the first camera with the Digic 8 processor, their product lines are starting over from this point on.

3 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Clearly this camera is not for any of us....AF in 4K is just crap....unusable.....but this is good news anyway....we will see in the next iterations new Canon cameras with 4k and DPAF....probably with a higher price...but anyway worthy.....this is just the starting point guys......let's be patience...sooner than later we will get what we are waiting for.

You know I already find it pretty staggering the amount of patience shown towards Canon and their lack luster releases. It seems every other camera manufacturer can release products that their customers can get genuinely excited about. 

59 minutes ago, Canonnuser said:

No worries, the M50 mark II will be 4k, 60fps with DPAF, in 3 years from now, for loyal canon users only :)

I think you are bit optimistic with your forecast. If I remember correctly, the first affordable 1080/60 Canon camera was the 7D MkII which arrived well after everybody.
I believe they will give us 4k/60 in 2022 or so, long after smartphones and the GH7 will offer 8k60 and 4k/120.

11 hours ago, meudig said:

They just put 4K in this one for the marketing. Look at all the review article headlines. Kinda sad really.

I feel sorry for the marketing team trying to promote such a compromised implementation. How would a sales person even explain the crop factor to a layman? Congrats, you tele is now super tele (but you shall never see wide again)!

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Inazuma said:

"Canon Takes 4K Seriously with the $799 M50"

Wtf are Nofilmschool smoking

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/02/canon-finally-takes-4k-seriously-799-m50

Not just there, everyone is hyping it up. The coverage is misleading as the specs on the box are. Class action lawsuit level misleading for the average customer.

The whole thing is an utter disgrace.

You honestly have to ask about the love affair the online press have with Canon.

NewsShooter today did their A7 III piece in a cynical tone moaning about the Japanese presentation and lack of 10bit, when it's basically an A9 for half price with SLOG and HDR!!? 6K full pixel readout?! $1899 for full frame 4K?! Are you kidding me - what's not to like about that?! Yet the M50... Glorious write up and as usual the glaring flaws simply glossed over.

Did anyone read the NFS article? Because it was hardly praising of the camera, other than the title... which easily could have had a question mark at the end.

The most positive statement and thesis of it is quite simply that this could be a sign that Canon is ready to embrace 4K in future models. But it went into complete detail why this variant is flawed.

Either way, I don’t think any filmmaker is going to be duped by this camera but it still looks like a fun, cheap hybrid, for stills and casual video, to me.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not just there, everyone is hyping it up. The coverage is misleading as the specs on the box are. Class action lawsuit level misleading for the average customer.

The whole thing is an utter disgrace.

You honestly have to ask about the love affair the online press have with Canon.

NewsShooter today did their A7 III piece in a cynical tone moaning about the Japanese presentation and lack of 10bit, when it's basically an A9 for half price with SLOG and HDR!!? 6K full pixel readout?! $1899 for full frame 4K?! Are you kidding me - what's not to like about that?! Yet the M50... Glorious write up and as usual the glaring flaws simply glossed over.

well, not everyone.

PM review was very honest and didn't really try to sell M50, he liked the screen, disliked the 4k, disliked the slow mo

in fact if you view the comment session, since PM mentioned there was no DPAF during 4k and showed the hunting autofocus, most people who owns M5/M6 probably wait til a real upgrade. But for those who wants to start vlogging without any camera, they will buy it because the 1080p DPAF is reliable and amazing enough for general purpose

... you guys sound surprised as if Canon was really going to give DPAF, 4K, no-crop & manageable codec in a sub-$1K body when it hasn't even done so on their flagship 1DX2 / 5D4 / 6D2!!

watching that unbox video though i gotta say the 1080p looked cleaner/sharper than i've ever seen a non-cinema Canon camera produce and if you forget the crop & dual pixel absence in 4K, the IQ remains pretty strong with those pleasing Canon skin tones.

so my verdict is if you're on a tight budget doing 1080p interviews or vlogs with the occasional macro 4K product shot, this might not be as bad as it seems.

and of course this paves the way for upcoming better spec'd higher-end models ( i still want to see c-log, peaking & zebras in non-cinema line).

Look guys....I truely and sincerely believe that Canon is NOT "holding back" on its customers. Instead, i believe that Canon is actually doing the best it can.

I now 100% believe that they are  just not able to control heat in small cameras and they just arent anywhere near as sophisticated as Sony in terms of sensor architecture and processing ability.

Canon cameras are far behind Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji....not because they are "trying" to be...it's bacause they just cant compete on a technical level.

Stop dumping on Canon guys. These poor folks are only doing the best they can. We all just want them to be something they are not.

Luckily for Canon, their customers just dont care about technology the way the rest of us do. To these people it's about getting the right logo on your camera. Once they have that,  its "mission accomplished". Its all about the brand "name" and thats really all that matters to them. 

So lets stop trying to squeeze blood from a rock....

Look guys, every sub $1000 camera has handicapped 4K. Panasonic has a crop, albeit a smaller crop, but it’s a smaller sensor. Sony has overheating or time limits. And Fuji has time limits. Canon has a larger crop but it also has the highest bitrate 4K in the sub $1000 market. There are concessions to be made in the sub $1000 market. Hell, Panasonic’s entry level camera doesn’t even have manual video.

1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Look guys....I truely and sincerely believe that Canon is NOT "holding back" on its customers. Instead, i believe that Canon is actually doing the best it can.

I now 100% believe that they are  just not able to control heat in small cameras and they just arent anywhere near as sophisticated as Sony in terms of sensor architecture and processing ability.

Canon cameras are far behind Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji....not because they are "trying" to be...it's bacause they just cant compete on a technical level.

Stop dumping on Canon guys. These poor folks are only doing the best they can. We all just want them to be something they are not.

Luckily for Canon, their customers just dont care about technology the way the rest of us do. To these people it's about getting the right logo on your camera. Once they have that,  its "mission accomplished". Its all about the brand "name" and thats really all that matters to them. 

So lets stop trying to squeeze blood from a rock....

You know, I would like to believe this is true but I dont think it is.

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that a company with double the camera revenues of its nearest competitor has half the tech of everyone else...

2 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

You know, I would like to believe this is true but I dont think it is.

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that a company with double the camera revenues of its nearest competitor has half the tech of everyone else...

Canon has zero desire to compete on a technical level. They literally just dont care if their cameras are 5 or 10 years behind the industry.

Why should they care. They sell cameras on just their name alone. While other company kill themselves to spend money on research and development, Canon just sits back and laughs....because they dont "NEED" to spend their money on R&D! Their logo carries them as far as they want to go without all that development cost.

Its an interesting business model. Just lean on your brand name and ride the wave for free!

Canon can literally make money without actually "competing" with the rest of the world. They can actually be 98% "lazy"...and STILL bring in the sales numbers.

They count HEAVILY on their customers "brand loyalty"!!!

TOKYO — Canon will shift more of its focus to mirrorless cameras, a change in strategy spurred by sharp growth in the market.

The company boasts a commanding share of the global single-lens reflex market but was reluctant to enter the mirrorless field over concerns about cannibalizing SLR sales.

Canon said Monday that it will release an entry-level mirrorless camera next month. The product is positioned as “a strategic model” for mirrorless cameras, according to Masahiro Sakata […]

Canon hopes that the new product will attract demand from families, including mothers who enjoy taking pictures of their children.

[…]

With mirrorless cameras rapidly gaining popularity and rivals like Sony breaking into SLRs, Canon decided it must “actively roll out products for a growth market even if there is some cannibalization,” Sakata said.

[…]

The company is making efforts “to be able to respond to customer needs in any region by offering both SLR and mirrorless cameras,” said Go Tokura, a Canon executive officer.

look at the canon youtube channel

females vloggers, body white in color... these are all signs towards amateur video content creators

and Canon is still the only one with vari angle touchscreen + reliable dpaf 

is it a fantastic 4k camera? absolutely not

is it better than the previous generations? definitely

@eoslover interesting.

This reminds me of an interview with Steve Jobs RE. iPod Touch sales cannibalising iPod Classic sales. Basically he said, it’s better if you cannibalise your own products with the next generation of innovation/design, than another company doing it for you.

There will always, or mostly always, be someone pushing technology forward- why not stay at the front and forgo your legacy sales when something better is emerging? It’s a better investment in your future rather than resting on your laurels.