Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon's main strength is DPAF and to purposely remove it from 4k is ... vintage Canon. I truly believe they sit around in meetings discussing how they are going to cripple their next camera. I would have much rather seen this camera w/o the crippling lack of DPAF, ridiculous crop factor and heftier battery for $250 more.

Why do I keep hoping Canon will wake up? This is a lesson in futility.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What a bunch of absolute bastards. It's beginning to feel personal!

Well, I don't usually get annoyed over a new camera release, but this did annoy me. 

I see it as a completely utterly pointless release like it's some kind of sick joke.

It's like bringing out a flying car in sexy colours which doesn't actually fly, it jumps. One inch off the floor. 

What a joke this company. What are they afraid of? Sony and Pana both have a professional cinema camera line, yet they still manage to sell small mirror-less video without killing their pro segment (incredible!). It could have been a hit with Vloggers and gimbal work, but no. I can't even say it's a disappointment, Canon is very consistent.

Regarding auto-focus, maybe I'm watching the wrong vlog stuff on YouTube...but...do people really move around all that much?   Most "Hey Guys, sorry I'm in my parent's basement today, but I want to show you..." video I've watched is a simple talking head w/jump cuts and the person is the same distance from the lens ALL. THE. TIME.  

So, ummm, why is AF the hot spec right now for cameras that these people want?  Where exactly is the need for awesome AF?

Or is it us, the enthusiast market that has more practical uses for it, that's clamoring for it?

the crop thing like we all predicted, its around 2.4-2.56x before they finally revealed

the lack of DPAF is pretty bad, but still it would make good interviews at 4k resolutions

and yea the battery dropped 20% from M5/M6 I expected before it released but seriously this is an entry level camera

Honestly I am a bit disappointed about the lack of DPAF in 4k mode but afterall it's a solid release for $779, in fact some regions is selling this @ $700 body only

what I suggest to buyers is simple: for vlogging go with 1080p, for a bit serious projects shoot manually in 4k

34 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Regarding auto-focus, maybe I'm watching the wrong vlog stuff on YouTube...but...do people really move around all that much?   Most "Hey Guys, sorry I'm in my parent's basement today, but I want to show you..." video I've watched is a simple talking head w/jump cuts and the person is the same distance from the lens ALL. THE. TIME.  

So, ummm, why is AF the hot spec right now for cameras that these people want?  Where exactly is the need for awesome AF?

Or is it us, the enthusiast market that has more practical uses for it, that's clamoring for it?

yea its kind of funny.

in fact, GH4/GH5/GH5s probably got the worst AF in all cameras

I am seriously interested in the design of a6700 though

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Plenty of vloggers walk around with their cameras and hold stuff up in front of it or turn the camera around to look at points of interest

10 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Have you seen the video with Gordon Laing? This is even useless for vlogging in 1080p... they seriously need sensor stabilization... I mean, Fuji has come around and Canon is still playing the segmentation game. But the real ones to blame are the people that will still buy this crapgh.

no offense to Gordan Laing but he does have real shaky hands, i mean real shaky

1 minute ago, Inazuma said:

Plenty of vloggers walk around with their cameras and hold stuff up in front of it or turn the camera around to look at points of interest

yes, thats the reason why they cannot stand Panasonic

even Casey got tired of that out of focus and going back to 6D

9 hours ago, mercer said:

Well, there’s this one which seems to have no electronics...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Focal-Reducer-Adapter-EF-EOSM-With-Optical-Glass-Fr-Canon-EF-Lens-To-EOSM-Camera-/322688363117

And there’s this one that claims to be electronic where the AF works...

https://www.ebay.com/i/302623520529

The EF to EF-M focal reducer with electronic contacts in the ebay link may possibly be a modified Viltrox EF to Sony E-Mount speed booster. E-mount and EF-M have the same flange focal distance of 18mm, and the diameter of both mounts is fairly similar, so apparently it's possible to change the mounts over, with a bit of work. In terms of making the electronic contacts work, here's a guide on how to do it: https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3941898#forum-post-59943832

I might look into doing this, but hoping Metabones will release an EF to EF-M adapter soon considering the increased interest in EOS M cameras. For the M50 with its 2.5x crop in 4k video it would be good to have a 0.64x XL speed booster to get aps-c crop, or a 0.58x BMPCC style speed booster.

An alternative would be a EF-M to MFT adapter, which I've never been able to find. I imagine that's hard to make as it has to be 1.25mm thick, tough to fit the electronic connections in that space. However it would be nice to use smaller MFT lenses on the Canon M50, in combination with the 4k video crop, but also have the option to use an EF to MFT speed booster.

4 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

Women will buy it.

It's small enough to fit in their handbag and very easy to use. 

yea and thats why they make it white color too

M50 meant to be a simple camera for youtube vloggers not professionals, just look at the price tag and dials controls

and how many people are actually watching 4k in youtube anyway? I would be surprised to see over 5%... and I predict even 5 years later most people will still watch youtube in 1080p

It's just tiring to see a company become so big they're scared to change for fear of losing money. You have to pay a lot more to get the features you want in the cinema line which is fine because the work pays for it- but with cameras like these it's kinda like buying an artificially speed restricted car.

The only reason we can make films is due to technology improving and becoming more affordable, yet they obviously are too afraid to allow the potential of the technology be utilised (look at Magic Lantern on the 5diii)

I guess it all makes business sense, but then that's the problem- Canon need a shakeup.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yes, autofocus prowess really matters for Vlogging: you see plenty of instances where the camera loses focus on the Vlogger's face - even slight head movements do that (GH5 anyone?). And many Vloggers like to move around with the camera at a set distance (selfie stick), and the same ugly thing happens as something in the background appears and attracts the attention of the AF.

Pro-wannabe's and pretenders of course claim they use manual focus exclusively. Only amateurs, tourists, and hobbyists "need" AF. :) 

1 minute ago, Inazuma said:

Panasonic's AF actually works really well in 1080p - competitive with dpaf. So if it's AF people want, they needn't stick with Canon. 

The M50's AF works even better in 1080 than any Panasonic - dual pixel beats CD any day.

The complaints are that in 4K the AF is lousy in the M50 because it is not dual pixel, just like for all Panasonics for any resolution.