Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon-catch-22: do you leave 4K our and have people bitch about that or do you implement it in a incredibly limited way and have people bitch about that?

Also: Panasonic has 4K working for 1" sensors (looking at you, Sony RX100) and up to FF (Leica). However, Pana is stuck using CDAF, so maybe others have to dedicate too much of their CPU time to PDAF.

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Honestly, if I do get one, I’ll keep a 22mm in my pocket for stills and 1080p and a couple c-mounts in my other pocket for 4K.

There’s no DPAF in 4K.

Canon is being Canon.  No DPAF in 4K and ridiculous crop.  I wonder how terrible the rolling shutter is.  I'm surprised how much hype is around this camera that has useless 4K.

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Honestly, if I do get one, I’ll keep a 22mm in my pocket for stills and 1080p and a couple c-mounts in my other pocket for 4K.

There’s no DPAF in 4K.

I wouldn't shoot lens without IS unless it got IBIS, but that just me

Anyway the timing is good for me since I will be going to Japan in April, and they are pretty cheap in Japan. (with additional 8% tax rebate even cheaper!)

7 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Exactly what I am saying. The GH5 is a huge camera and it needs to be - and that's with a m43 sensor. 

But you already have people complaining on here that the m50 will be crippled cause such and such reason and they don't even mention the size limitations, which size was put in place specifically for the vlogging crowd.

Everyone on here will have to wait for the ff mirroless, if any, to see what canon are really holding back/giving.  

In the end this camera will be far better than the a6500 cause you will actually be able to see what you are shooting in bright daylight and the colors will be a heck of a lot better and it will be far, far cheaper.   

We weren't complaining. we were just speculating what compromise would be made. 

For the record, the Fuji xe3 has 4k with autofocus and no crop and is a smaller camera. 

“Our core goal when developing new entry-level interchangeable lens cameras for our consumers is to meld high-quality features and usability together. In listening to our customers, we believe we have achieved this goal with both the EOS M50 and EOS Rebel T7, ” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. 

1 hour ago, Michael Ma said:

Canon is being Canon.  No DPAF in 4K and ridiculous crop.  I wonder how terrible the rolling shutter is.  I'm surprised how much hype is around this camera that has useless 4K.

All 4K is pretty useless at this price point, so I don’t mind the crop. Sure I’d rather it be less, but it isn’t and I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

I wouldn't shoot lens without IS unless it got IBIS, but that just me

Anyway the timing is good for me since I will be going to Japan in April, and they are pretty cheap in Japan. (with additional 8% tax rebate even cheaper!)

I get that, I love Canon’s IS lenses. Even the modest 2 stops on the 28-135mm is pretty steady at the long end. At 4 stops, the 35mm f2 is damn near tripod steady... as is the 24-70mm f4.

Please post some videos when you get it... I probably won’t pick one up until the summer or fall. 

24 fps, no DPAF, crop ..... all suggest that they were just barely able to get 4K out of the processor. I guess they still have issues with the thermal envelope, at least in an M style body.

A little bit weaker than I thought it would be. I wonder what bit rate they are using?

Also, having a crop probably means they are using nominal pixels, so the overall resolution is likely to be soft.

Yeah, 24/25 fps with no DPAF with a 1.6 crop factor is not good at all.

The only good news that they can now do 4k h264 at 120 Mbits. Hopefully they can improve on the M5 II but I don't have too much hope now....

Currently cannon can read 4k 60fps with low rolling shutter but no oversampling (1dx II) with DPAF (even at 120fps fhd with DPAF).
They can do 120 Mbits 4k h264 but have to disable DPAF and max 25fps. Maybe is just thermal issues from the small body but I'm not sure....

Not really good news in the video front

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

"No DPAF and a big crop in 4k". 

Well that's just like teasing people to the brink of excitement, only to then show them the middle finger. 

Well done Canon, you've done it again. :expressionless:

What a bunch of absolute bastards. It's beginning to feel personal!

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

"No DPAF and a big crop in 4k". 

Well that's just like teasing people to the brink of excitement, only to then show them the middle finger. 

Well done Canon, you've done it again. :expressionless:

Crap!!!.....don't mind the crop, but DPAF was a must.....anyboby knows how long will have to wait for the 5M II?

On 22-2-2018 at 11:14 PM, Cinegain said:

[..] Wonder about the price and what that 4K would actually look like... and/or how Canon decided to cripple it, I mean, it's Canon after all, they're the OG players in the segmentation game. [..] Hum. We'll see. With any new camera release though... better not get your hopes up.

Whehehe. I knew it. Typical Canon move again.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

4K and no DPAF? I really don’t see the need for anyone to spend ~$800 on this camera. Canon Colors? Sure but with everything this camera DOES NOT have, I don’t see the point. 

I see some potencial...very cheap and small camera with Canon colors....could be used to shoot in public places where you don't want to be notice, like an airport for example, also using the adaptors mentioned early by @mercer you can reduce the crop, you just have to find the right spot with your camera hidden in a small bag and let the actors to do their job, for doc also there is potential, but the lack of DPAF in 4K is really what hurt me most, if it had DPAF is a must have camera.....ohhhh too bad.