Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sorry but this I simply don't believe. On niche forums maybe. But I say not even 1 out of 200 you meet on the street regularly watch 4K content on a 4K TV. Most of them don't even watch 1080p all that often.

You only have to go to a big box store to confirm this - around 3/4 of the TVs on display at my local Curry's (one of the main UK TV shops) are 1080P.

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

You only have to go to a big box store to confirm this - around 3/4 of the TVs on display at my local Curry's (one of the main UK TV shops) are 1080P.

And TV sales are still declining. Even if 4K TVs sell more and more compared to HD TVs, in total its still a decline. (I got yelled at a few years ago for saying that as well, and showing reports as sources didn't help. I was an idiot because I didn't believe every single person in the worlds biggest reason for getting out of bed was to buy a 4K TV :) )

2 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

They do release the annual reports every year. That's a legal obligation by SEC rules. You can find them at:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/sec.html

They release a report yes. But not an annual report like pretty much every other company has done for years.
But they did say that they where going to start releasing proper reports from 2017 and onwards. There where a lot of media coverage on the event that they where going to start releasing reports again.

2 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

For the rest, that's just your personal interpretation.... Sony does communicate about its global profits but there could be plenty of reasons why companies don't want to divulge the details of their financial results. You may be right or wrong but it's not exactly a silver bullet argument.

Im just going by common sense and standard business practice. Profit is reported because a corporations soul purpose to exist is to make it. And believe me, I want to be proven wrong. But no such evidence has ever been showed to me. Plenty of people have linked to the "report" and said "read this". And my answer is "I did, you most likely didn't, because it only strengthens my suspicion".

1 hour ago, Damphousse said:

The problem is most people buy TVs so rarely.

Exactly. People bought HD because they where also flat screen. Now they don't see a reason. Just like with 3D. Soon I bet people will be mad if we say that HDR probably will be a good 5-10 years as well.

This seems like a middle segment camera. Like usual, the less the digits, the biggest the tier. This is the equivalent of the 80D, and the body is NOT entry level, entry level Canon's have even worst specs and are smaller than that.

4K TVs will be sold, because medium to higher end TVs are only 4K, for a couple of years now at least. Also LG sold a ton of big OLED screens (smaller one is 55") and is the number 1 profit of that company also (now they sell panels to Sony and Panasonic too). I still haven't delivered, not 1 4K project, ever. and I do not think I do this year either. 95% I shoot 1080p, and noone ever asked for 4K, but for events, we are going to offer the possibility for an extra charge.

More detailed spec

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-m50-images-specifications-4k-25p/

24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS

DIGIC 8

Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance

AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide in live view image display range)

The selectable AF point is a corresponding lens with a maximum of 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)

EYE AF

Video: 4K 25p / 24p, FHD 60p, HD 120p

Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible

5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS

4K up to 25P? fine by me since I live in PAL country, wonder whats this new generation DPAF improvement will bring

Nokishita posted an exhaustive list of the specifications of the upcoming Canon EOS M50, and there are new images too.

The Canon EOS M50 appears to be a very decent mirrorless camera. Now let’s wait to know the price. But I dare to say already the EOS M50 will be a bestseller, especially if Canon eventually decides to deliver more and more serious EF-M lenses. Announcement expected for February 25/26, 2018.

Machine translated specifications:

24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS

DIGIC 8

Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance

AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide in live view image display range)

The selectable AF point is a corresponding lens with a maximum of 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)

Pupil detection AF

Dual Sensing IS

Silent mode

DLO in camera

RAW development in camera

Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible

5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS

Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)

Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)

EVF: 0.39 type 2.36 million dot Organic EL

3 type 104 million dots Bali angle touch panel liquid crystal

Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed

Wireless remote controller BR-E1 compatible

HDMI HDR output compatible

Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format

The C – RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in – camera RAW development and digital lens optimizer

Battery: LP-E 12

Weight: 387 g black, 390 g white (including battery and memory card)

Color: Black / White

"Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible"

The makes it sound like the default 4k has no crop??

I currently am camera-less and this is starting to sound like it ticks a lot of boxes for me. Size, ergos, IQ in video and stills. Just hoping for the 35mm f1.8 to be announced too. Also fingers crossed for $1000 or less. 

4 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

"Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible"

The makes it sound like the default 4k has no crop??

I currently am camera-less and this is starting to sound like it ticks a lot of boxes for me. Size, ergos, IQ in video and stills. Just hoping for the 35mm f1.8 to be announced too. Also fingers crossed for $1000 or less. 

composite entry level camera, it should be priced similar to M6 $699 body only

the white color i believe is for female vloggers

2 minutes ago, eoslover said:

the white color i believe is for female vloggers

Unlikely. It looks more like the the M5, which I believe was $1000. 

Some nice details to note:

On/Off switch is on the right side :)

The camera strap shoulders are fixed like in their DSLR bodies. No more noisy loose things!

canon_1.jpg

canon_2-2.jpg

Overall there seem to be less buttons and dials than the M5 unfortunately

2 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Unlikely. It looks more like the the M5, which I believe was $1000. 

it actually looks more like  SL2/ 200D

and the battery is the same as 100D/M

material by the looks of things are composite

fewer dials without weather sealing, body wise it's a downgrade from M5/M6

11 minutes ago, eoslover said:

But has EVF. Its placed somewhere between M6 and M5 (I don't know why they didn't name it M60). So expect $800 body only. They certainly know something is coming from Nikon and want to a have a ready-to-compete alternative in the market.  

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

No 4K 30p and 720p only for 120fps points to a slower than normal sensor readout.

Well, we'll wait and see.

Could be a good PowerShot for YouTubers.

Might be better to wait for the M5 Mark II or whatever they call it, with same new tech but higher-end body.

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

No 4K 30p and 720p only for 120fps points to a slower than normal sensor readout.

Well, we'll wait and see.

Could be a good PowerShot for YouTubers.

Might be better to wait for the M5 Mark II or whatever they call it, with same new tech but higher-end body.

720p 120fps slow motion from 5D Mark 4

sample 2

The quality is actually pretty good for 720p, similar to a6500's 1080p?

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

"For 720p" lol

Hey 2008 called... It wants its resolution back!

Let me run out and buy a 5D Mk IV... I am so excited for that 720p! Especially as my GH5S only does 1080p 180fps and now 240fps for almost half the money. Hmm.

For the price (M50) it's actually not too bad, we can never buy a GH5 under $1000 in the next 24 months.

M50 will be one third of the price of GH5s

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Especially as my GH5S only does 1080p 180fps..

Hey, 2007 called... it wants its frame rates back ;) 

Let me run and buy a GH5s.. Im so exited for 1080p 180fps. Specially since the old Red One I had did it in 100 fps Raw Cinema 2K for (a little) less money  ;)