Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, mkabi said:

It will definitely sell... Not sure who to blame.... I remember saying that the number of dumb peeps outnumber the smart ones.

The scary scary fact, is that half of people are dumber than average. Even scarier, it is ALWAYS going to be like that! :-o

;-) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haha, this is soooo offtopic and,  ... wait for it ..., stupid. Film-makers drawing conclusions about people's intelligence based on which cameras they buy. And some even telling their children that 3/4 off them are dumb and presuming that their own offspring don't act stupid in any situation. I mean, you could make a case that a lot of people just don't put in the effort for some critical thinking, but there is always some reason behind seemingly "stupid" behavior.

I've stated more than once, that most consumers don't salivate over specs and message boards for the best gear, since a day only has 24 hours and we all need to prioritize. We/they need to believe that a sales person is aware that a satisfied customer returns and the customer you sell shit to, does not. And even on this forum, we can agree that a DPAF and the simplicity of use of Canon's products is something you would sell to a non-tech-savvy customer and that a film-maker will not even need advice in the store, but will have had made his decision at home.

Some specs leaked by Nokishita (which in general are correct):

24.1MP CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel AF and improved DR

DIGIC 8 used for first time!

4K 30fps mode at 100Mbit

2.36mdot OLED EVF

3" 1.04Mdot LCD touch screen

10fps and up to 7.4fps with AF

100-25600 ISO (extended ISO: 51200)

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC

CR3 RAW format and new C-RAW compact format (40% compression format)

February 27 preorder start

I am pro Canon. They must be doing some things right to still be number one. I am not defending them, they certainly are holding back too much on too mamy of their products, but for most people, even their mirrorless makes more sense than 10 bit codecs and exotic 1.2f lenses. 

Good AF, good color science and pleasing images, ok ergonomy and touch screens, and most people are happy.

Of, course it would be difficult for me to buy such a "basic" camera, but what do I know? I still use 2014 cameras that have arguably more tech than any Canon APS-C camera in 2018.

16 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Some specs leaked by Nokishita (which in general are correct):

24.1MP CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel AF and improved DR

DIGIC 8 used for first time!

4K 30fps mode at 100Mbit

2.36mdot OLED EVF

3" 1.04Mdot LCD touch screen

10fps and up to 7.4fps with AF

100-25600 ISO (extended ISO: 51200)

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC

CR3 RAW format and new C-RAW compact format (40% compression format)

February 27 preorder start

Where did you get the 30fps 100Mbit info?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I've stated more than once, that most consumers don't salivate over specs and message boards for the best gear, since a day only has 24 hours and we all need to prioritize. 

Exactly. For some being available in a store close by is enough to be "best".

As a side note,
I went through the popular tourist district (gamla stan) in Stockholm today. 
Lots of people from Japan, Finland and Russia walking around taking pictures.

I would say 30-40% where smartphones.
I saw a couple of bridge cameras and advanced compacts.
One Fuji
One Olympus
The rest where Canon DSLRs, they outnumbered the smartphones I saw in use. But of course every single person most likely has one. 

(not a single Pansony or Nikon in sight.)

7 hours ago, Keystar Insurance said:

Panasonic G85, GX85, GX9

Olympus EM5II too.  People will whine that Oly's 1080 has too much moire, but whatevs.  It does all the other stuff just fine.  And, really, the IBIS is really, really, really good. Really.  

FWIW, I also shot 6 docs on the GX85.  That camera is a great value.

9 hours ago, tyger11 said:

Other manufacturers are solving their color issues.

Sorry.  I forgot sarcasm doesn't flush through the intertubes...

35 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How about 22.5fps 4K? From now on, every Canon should come with a picture of their smiling CEO in the box.

It will be something stupid like 4k with half the vertical resolution at 3x crop and 5 min limit. 

The 1080p modes will be comparable to the DVX-100 at 720x576, but a bit worse. 

Comes with a cable to connect with your C700, so you get a worthless extra screen. 

Plus a shiny silver sticker that says "best quality 4k" or something. 

Like everyone else, I want Canon to make their C300 II owners feel well and truly awful. ;) 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

As a side note,

One Fuji
One Olympus
The rest where Canon DSLRs, they outnumbered the smartphones I saw in use. But of course every single person most likely has one. 

not surprised at all, Canon's been always leading the camera world 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

As a side note,

One Fuji
One Olympus

I live and work on a more touristic country than Sweden (around 32.000.000 tourists for 2017), and my impression is that smartphones use is something like 70%, and that depends by a lot of factors. The wealth/class/social status of said visitors, if it is an archaeological site or a popular beach, on ultra expensive Santorini, or cheap side of Kos e.t.c In popular and lower income mass tourism locations, the smartphone usage is something like 99%! In more expensive and cultural locations (museums, not very popular archaeological sites) there are a lot more dedicated cameras.

My impression, is that, for camera users, Canon is like, almost all!

Nikon APS-C, Olympus, and lately Sony are following (especially Sony, which was a non factor a few years ago). I have seen a few Panasonic, NX cameras (a lot of brown or white, certainly as fashion statements as well) and Fuji (especially in Japanese tourists) but I believe I saw them, because it was strange that I saw someone with those kind of cameras.

My estimation? Canon is number one, by far, certainly in total sales (I am not sure about total profit), Olympus seems to sell surprisingly well, and maybe Panasonic does not sell too well to the masses.