Canon M50 mirrorless camera features 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, jagnje said:

this only interest me because of magic lantern possibilityes....if possible at all, I haven`t used it in a couple of years. oh, and speedbooster :)

Chdk is for the EOS M line, as it's based on Powershot operating system since EOS M3, I believe.

Magic Lantern is for EOS M 1 + 2, plus the DSLRs.

So I wouldn't hold your breath there!

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Seems nice. Is that 10fps burst in raw?

Not sure, but I assume it would be. Might be a good street shooter for stills!

29 minutes ago, Chrille said:

Will it feature an EF Mount? Can't believe this ist finally happening. Sold my 550d approx. 4-5 years ago thinking something cool would come up... I would already be happy If it would feature c300 Style HD Video though...

There is an original EF (-S) mount offered by Canon for a little more than 100$. The camera is APS-C though, and it won't have C300 HD video, and this is happening for years and years. Only the last couple of years Canon had 6-7 mirrorless out.

meh, all they had to do was come to the party and they would dominate - has flip out screen, 4k, autofocus, great colors, ibis. 4k may be a bit soft and it could have a crop but that won't stop many from buying it as the other features alone put it above the competition. And this is not even their flagship mirrorless, so I am expecting future releases to be even better. Just like that they should dominate again, and thank god - had enough of seeing those awful sony colors around.  

Two conclusions:

1: It's the successor to the EOS-M5, but gains an additional digit in the model number. In Canon's model naming scheme, it means that it's relegated from a top-tier to a second-tier camera in its product group. So there will be a new Canon mirrorless camera above the EOS-M50: likely, a new full frame mirrorless camera.

2: Since 4K video is a feature of the new DIGIC chip, it will trickle down to all other Canon APS-C cameras: the DSLRs and the rest of the EOS-M camera line. By the end of 2019, even the Rebel DSLRs and the successor to the EOS-M100 will likely have 4K video.

If Canon will deliver good-enough 4K (at least something that can be downscaled to a first-class HD image), this could be a satisfying video solution for many if not most people, given the whole package of Canon colors and dual pixel AF.

"I would say – be prepared for disappointment – and a heavy crop."

To be disappointed you need to have expectations....  I would add to the list:

- 4k that look like 2.7k at best
- Weird codec (MJPEG)
- Crappy bitrate
- Moire and aliasing fest
- No AF for some video modes
- Crop
- No high frame rate
- Zero assist features such as peaking and zebra
- No IBIS
- No LOG

Best case scenario they don't fuck it up too hard and it might become a decent camera for Vlogers and gimbal work. By the time Canon implements acceptable 4k30 with little crop, everybody else will be doing HDR,  10 bits, 4k120 and 8k30...

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

Two conclusions:

1: It's the successor to the EOS-M5, but gains an additional digit in the model number. In Canon's model naming scheme, it means that it's relegated from a top-tier to a second-tier camera in its product group. So there will be a new Canon mirrorless camera above the EOS-M50: likely, a new full frame mirrorless camera.

2: Since 4K video is a feature of the new DIGIC chip, it will trickle down to all other Canon APS-C cameras: the DSLRs and the rest of the EOS-M camera line. By the end of 2019, even the Rebel DSLRs and the successor to the EOS-M100 will likely have 4K video.

If Canon will deliver good-enough 4K (at least something that can be downscaled to a first-class HD image), this could be a satisfying video solution for many if not most people, given the whole package of Canon colors and dual pixel AF.

Easy there.... 

Wait till it comes out with full specs...

For all we know, it can be a 4K camera like the Fuji X-A5. That turned out to be a real mind f_ck... Just go look that up at bhphotovideo.com (look at the highlights, then go into the specs section and see the frame rate).