NX1 How to deal with white balance?

pablogs86

Hello everyone! I'm somewhat obsessed with getting the most natural looking and close to reality image as I can in camera to save time in post so I'm not comfortable using auto WB and the kelvin option is unusable, I read somehwere that using the WB presets (day, tungsten, etc) and customizing them is the way to go, I've been doing that but I'm finding it hard to adjust and replicate the exact temperature and tint in every shot by eye, I'm getting better at it but I still miss a lot, I was thinking about getting the expo disc and a neutral white balance card so that I can use the custom white balance option, have you tried this? Does WB stay locked in when using the custom WB option or does it shift like when using kelvin? How do you deal with white balance on the NX1? Any tips or ideas are very appreciated. Thank you!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's what I do: Use the custom white balance with a grey card in most indoor situations. Especially when setting up lights.  If I'm outdoors in daylight I'll just use auto. Sometimes auto during golden hour doesn't get it warm enough so I'll choose cloudy preset. But I don't like the presets that much. 

I agree the Kelvin setting is glitched out. Random tinted frames. Such a shame.

18 hours ago, pablogs86 said:

Hello everyone! I'm somewhat obsessed with getting the most natural looking and close to reality image as I can in camera to save time in post so I'm not comfortable using auto WB and the kelvin option is unusable, I read somehwere that using the WB presets (day, tungsten, etc) and customizing them is the way to go, I've been doing that but I'm finding it hard to adjust and replicate the exact temperature and tint in every shot by eye, I'm getting better at it but I still miss a lot, I was thinking about getting the expo disc and a neutral white balance card so that I can use the custom white balance option, have you tried this? Does WB stay locked in when using the custom WB option or does it shift like when using kelvin? How do you deal with white balance on the NX1? Any tips or ideas are very appreciated. Thank you!!

I also use the custom white balance in the WB settings and snap a photo of something as close to pure white in the scene. A white or 50% gray card would be beneficial to have on hand for this. This technique is not 100%, yet close. I also hold up the same white card in the beginning of the take. (Just the initial take will do if it's the same scene)

Then in Premiere and with my footage loaded, in the Lumetri color panel, I use "WB Selector" eyedropper tool and select on the white card in the beginning of the first take. 

Capture.PNG

Then I check my RGB parade scope and maker sure the 3 color channels (RED, GREEN, BLUE) are sitting relatively equal around 120-230

You should have pretty reasonable WB at that point. 

Capture2.PNG

Same as the others, I'm either using the daylight preset or custom WB. Really wished Kelvin worked.

I previously used a gray card as well, but i recently bought a white balance disc that you shoot through similar to an Expodisc. It works well, it's just obnoxious to carry around. 

I need to start using Matthew's technique and shooting a white card so I can make sure it's nailed when editing.

17 hours ago, pryde said:

I need to start using Matthew's technique and shooting a white card so I can make sure it's nailed when editing.

It really does come in handy. You can always just use a sheet of white printer paper, or the white part of a clapper board. Anything as close to pure white will get you a decent WB and bring you along to about 95% nailed in camera. Besides, the NX1 does a decent job with skin tones as it is. 

You can of course get calibrated color charts (for a premium) and bring that into Resolve if you want to get strict color accuracy, but I'm not that analytical with my color, and I try to steer away from mixing/shooting different camera brands.