Not much love for Nikon D850

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd love a d850.

I think there are several reasons we haven't heard/seen much from the camera so far.

One is that it was sold out for awhile when it came out.

The other is just Nikon's apathetic video market. 

I love Nikon DSLR video and still use my d7100 for certain things.

I'm really intrigued by the d850, but am currently still just loving my nx1 and am very happy.

In regards to the nikon 105/1.8 AIS, it's awesome! I honestly love it.

I have a pretty serious damn collection of AIS lenses and I think the 105/1.8 could be one of the most underrated. 

Here's a sample still taken with the 105/1.8 and the nx1. I forget exact aperture settings, but it was definitely stopped down

Andrew.jpg

The 105 f1.8 might be a great lens. If you stop it down you will get heptagonal highlights, with only 7 blades. If you want to shoot at f2.5 then the classic 105 f2.5 AI/AIS might be a better, cheaper and lighter option, with the same 52mm filter thread that the 50mm f1.2 has. It has the advantage, as a stills lens, of being usable with the OVF focus screen at full aperture. Anything faster than that and you probably need to switch to live view to be sure of focus as the focus screen is optimised for f2.8 zooms (unless they have improved in current models)

1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

The 105 f1.8 might be a great lens. If you stop it down you will get heptagonal highlights, with only 7 blades. If you want to shoot at f2.5 then the classic 105 f2.5 AI/AIS might be a better, cheaper and lighter option, with the same 52mm filter thread that the 50mm f1.2 has. It has the advantage, as a stills lens, of being usable with the OVF focus screen at full aperture. Anything faster than that and you probably need to switch to live view to be sure of focus as the focus screen is optimised for f2.8 zooms (unless they have improved in current models)

Yeah, 105 f/2.5 is a classic lens, but it's good for anyone looking to pick one up that the latter versions with the advanced coatings really are the best (completely subjective, I know).

Price, availability, size (the D850 is big and heavy and doesn't fit on most entry level gimbal), low Nikon presence in the camera market (no nikon camcorder like the C series, etc.), lower user base compared to Canon, competition from Sony and M43 in the "DSLR" video market. That would be some possible points.

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah I doubt it is TowerJazz. Seems like Sony's upgrade to their 42MP BSI CMOS to me. Has all the hallmarks of one. The real puzzle is why Sony keep giving their main rival the absolute top spec sensor, whilst putting older tech in their own.

Nikon has a reputation of being able to "get more out of" Sony's sensors than Sony themselves can.

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The 46MP sensor seems to have more dynamic range, lower minimum ISOs, more resolution, faster readout, possibly even onboard moire reduction in pixel binned 4K mode from 46MP and then the D850 uses XQD cards as well - another Sony tech, which they can't be bothered to put on their own cameras!

A little part of me wonders if part of the sensor deal package with Sony was using their XQD cards over the CFast competition. 

Sony does use XQD in their higher end cameras however, such as the Sony FS7

I've got too many cameras and yet not enough somehow.

With BM Micro 4/3 and super 35 setups I've been missing the full frame look on a number of image/commercial projects.

So much so that I've been looking at the 1DC for months and keep balking at the codec and dual card restrictions. But the IQ, I think, is still at the top of the hill for 4k and HD.

So now I'm (holding fingers close together) this close to grabbing an 850.

I've got a set of nikon ais primes and zooms and (my preference) Sigma Art lenses w/nikon mounts too.

Plus, we're often providing high res still work for corporate client shoots and our 5D has developed the dreaded mirror lock up so it's that much more of an incentive for a real 4k hybrid.

• Administrators
On 20/02/2018 at 4:40 PM, ivanku said:

how does the D5 4K compare to the D850? I know that the D5 is super 35 only, but apart from that... quality, image, etc. should be about on par?

D5 is a lovely camera but you are paying more for less, when it comes to video. I haven't used it to comment on the image quality (I expect it is similar to D850 in S35 mode) but it has more limitations, no articulated screen, etc. so why bother?

@Andrew Reid The real puzzle is why Sony keep giving their main rival the absolute top spec sensor, whilst putting older tech in their own.

Even when manufacturers purchase the sensor from Sony, do they not strap on their own proprietary technologies? Sony may have the best image sensor on the market but that doesn't mean they know how to best leverage it as a complete system. (I'm not disparaging Sony cameras here)

For example, Samsung sold AMOLED screens to Apple for the iPhoneX, but Apple adds their own spin on it. Samsung now wants to sell their ISOCELL sensor to everyone and their grandmother whilst using a Sony made sensor in the S9/9+.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:49 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I can really see myself picking the D850 above the A7R III if it carries on performing like it does... Such a clean codec, so little moire in full frame 4k by comparison to the Sony, and way better colour.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, DaveAltizer said:

I think it’s just two years too late unfortunately. Things have moved on. We need IBIS and AF these days I guess. It’s been almost like a second revolution in video from the dslr movement. 

Exactly. And what about the menstruous size and weight? More than twice the weight of A7RIII. So bad for traveling and rungun. 

Now very soon Nikon should release a mirrorless. Hopefully they bring in IBIS and PDAF and if this is the case and it has the D850 sensor, I am definitely getting that over an A7RIII for stills and B cam 4k30p. Would still need a A7SIII or similar for A cam and 4K60.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Super Members
43 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You'd have to be a whole lot richer to buy it in the UK.

Just added all those items up at a big UK camera store and its $8800 if you buy those parts here so your $5499 is the sale of the century !

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 18.09.08.jpg

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't. I feel it is nuts to spend $3.5K on a DSLR/mirrorless camera to only use for video,  only if I did a decent split of stills/video would I get the D850

Well I don't think many people would buy it at all just for video. Nikon seems to be brain dead on LiveView and a few other goodies you Need for video. For a company that produced the very first consumer video DSLR camera you would think they would be the leader in it. But I Do like the Nikon Color Science, always have. And to me that many MP for photos is sweet.  It is still to me, rewarding to hold a high end DSLR. There is still some magic to them.