Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone using the HLG should be aware that the Rec2020 is skewed the same way the sgamut2/3 are. So unless you intend to feed the footage into a HDR monitor that supports the rec2020 space, then a proper LUT has to be used, and at least I could not get the footage to look good straight out of the camera into a normal monitor. Even Scott from the videos above admits that shooting with HLG requires a good amount of grading.  

Sony-Colorspaces-1024x815.thumb.jpg.d477eabf25b9872acb6f5d525f99fecd.jpg

Unfortunately, if you are using any of the HLG you almost have to use the rec2020. I wish Sony would allow us to use the sgamut3.cine which is far easier to grade.

So again, unless people are using a HDR monitor I would advise them to use either the Cine profiles or slog2 with Pro/Cinema/Sgamut3.cine colors. Definitely avoid slog3, since it is the worse gamma for skin tones. 

An easy way to check for balanced colors in camera is to shift exposure from -3 to +3 and see how colors change. 

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Just received mine yesterday. I have the Samyang 35mm f2.8. Sony FE 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 have been ordered too. Let me know if you guys have any questions

I am looking at the Sony 7 iii too. So, I am curious why you didn't take the Sony 24-105mm f/4, because it has a very wide reach and it seems decent for most situations except very low light. I am also very curious about the new lenses from Sigma and Tamron for Sony, since most other Sony senses seem to be rather prohibitively priced. 

On 03/05/2018 at 1:21 PM, Inazuma said:

I should apparently  have my A73 soon. HLG is quite a big draw for me so I'm hoping for the best

Sounds very exciting. Could you also please post some videos comparing SLog 2 and HLG.

Thanks in advance. 

9 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@sanveer I chose the Tamron over the 24-105 because it is lighter, cheaper and has a larger aperture. Also I am a person used to shooting primes so having a 28-75 is already more variety than I'm used to. 

I will test out the HLG Vs Slog.  

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the HLG test. 

5 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Looks like I got what I wanted :)

Great test video by the way, excellent job. Is it me, or the skin color of the Fuji is way off? I do not believe I am saying that, but color seems better on the Sony, skin tones especially. 

Does the A7iii have the same color science as the A7Riii? Are they much better than the A7 mk II series cameras? I will be working with Sony a lot this summer.

Ibis, RS and codec goes to Fuji though.