Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

I am not sure SOOC skin tones look right with Nikon/Canon is true. I have seen several blind comparisons and they are not as far off as many people believe. To tell you the truth, I don't trust the SOOC out of any camera. Fuji comes closest to being perfect but still, the color needs work to get it where I want. 

Here is a comparison:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I am not sure SOOC skin tones look right with Nikon/Canon is true. I have seen several blind comparisons and they are not as far off as many people believe. To tell you the truth, I don't trust the SOOC out of any camera. Fuji comes closest to being perfect but still, the color needs work to get it where I want. 

Here is a comparison:

All of those shots are done outdoors in daylight conditions, where Sony struggles is in artificial/mixed lighting. Trust me i've spent years on all systems. I guess in between Canikon it could be somewhat subjective but for sure Sony always lags behind in this department...

9 minutes ago, Django said:

All of those shots are done outdoors in daylight conditions, where Sony struggles is in artificial/mixed lighting. Trust me i've spent years on all systems. I guess in between Canikon it could be somewhat subjective but for sure Sony always lags behind in this department...

You said it all, for certain stuff no really need to check it out :-)

(Andrew should extend the 10 likes limitation or we end to inflate the post count...)

15 minutes ago, Django said:

All of those shots are done outdoors, where Sony struggles is in artificial/mixed lighting. Trust me i've spent years on all systems. I guess in between Canikon it could be somewhat subjective but for sure Sony always lags behind in this department...

In artificial/mixed lighting all cameras struggle. Now if we talk about video under these light conditions, then in my experience with Sony, Olympus, Nikon & Fuji once the WB is set correctly, Sony produces by far the best colors. You might say I am a fanboy, but honestly, this is my experience. That is due to the fact that only Sony allows extensive color customization in video (but funnily enough not in stills).

3 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

In artificial/mixed lighting all cameras struggle. Now if we talk about video under these light conditions, then in my experience with Sony, Olympus, Nikon & Fuji once the WB is set correctly, Sony produces by far the best colors. You might say I am a fanboy, but honestly, this is my experience. That is due to the fact that only Sony allows extensive color customization in video (but funnily enough not in stills).

I have no experience wiht Olympus, Nikon or Fuji(like the fuji colours though). But the canon colors are miles ahead of the sony colors. Skintones, behaving in mixed light conditions, extreme reds, blues where my A7S would fall apart, my 5DIII triumphs.

7 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I have no experience wiht Olympus, Nikon or Fuji(like the fuji colours though). But the canon colors are miles ahead of the sony colors. Skintones, behaving in mixed light conditions, extreme reds, blues where my A7S would fall apart, my 5DIII triumphs.

I have no experience with Canon but I am hearing about Canon colors all the time ;) 

A7s is significantly worse than any of the newer models though. 

@DjangoThat is out of the cameras that I have tried and once you set the WB and colors settings correctly (or use Andrews color profiles) ...  

Funny doubts/perspectives pretty different still stand... Reds and blues would be in trouble if everyone would love to see the world of yellow : ) I don't even mention the green pattern now once rather than greenish I should replace the thing for yello-wish today : D

To each his own. Tastes like scents and suchlike, among them sights on your type of woman, are indisputable :-)

5 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

@DjangoThat is out of the cameras that I have tried and once you set the WB and colors settings correctly (or use Andrews color profiles) ...  

That's the thing though, many times when run & gunning you don't have time to manually set WB or use color checker or dive in to change settings for every changing scene. This is when AWB & accurate color science becomes vital and where my experience with Sony has been poor..

Just now, Django said:

That's the thing though, many times when run & gunning you don't have time to manually set WB or use color checker or dive in to change settings for every changing scene. This is when AWB & accurate color science becomes vital and where my experience with Sony has been poor..

Under natural light, there is no need. Under mixed light, I would argue that if you don't set up the WB manually with any camera you most probably going to be in trouble. But again that is with the cameras that I have tried, including the latest generation of Fujis but without the Eterna which is the most promising color for video. 

13 minutes ago, Django said:

The only thing I actually find on Sony's mirrorless colors is good gray and brown tones... :-D

10 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Under natural light, there is no need. Under mixed light, I would argue that if you don't set up the WB manually with any camera you most probably going to be in trouble. But again that is with the cameras that I have tried, including the latest generation of Fujis but without the Eterna which is the most promising color for video. 

Full color SOOC is the Fuji signature indeed. The latest generation also brings higher bit rate. Without fresh eggs ; ) we can't even have healthy omelettes (E :-)

8 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I beg to disagree.. while every camera will handle things differently, the XT2 is the first camera that consistently nails just about any artificial/mixed lighting i've thrown at it.. inversely, Sony's tend to always have this ugly yellow cast (A7S was greenish) that requires fixing in post. it's no secret and as you know Andrew has made extensive examples displaying zombie skin tones and such in his EOS profile promos.. i don't know another camera brand with such wacked out SOOC color science..

22 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I have no experience with Canon but I am hearing about Canon colors all the time ;) 

A7s is significantly worse than any of the newer models though. 

I also owned an A7S II, and I found it even worse then the original A7S. But thats only my personal opinion :) 

1 hour ago, Django said:

thanks as an ex-sony shooter i'm well aware of these fixes. fact remains that with Canikon/Fuji the skin tones look right SOOC. it really baffles me that after so many camera releases Sony still haven't perfected their overall color science and AWB (although indeed i hear A7R3 improves on this). it's the one hang-up i got with Sony.

Django, full ACK. When you shoot R&G you simply don't have the time for Sony-Settings-Tiki-Taka plus mostly you never get the chance for a retake.

Personally, I'm not so enthusiastic about the A7 iii, as it seems to be the same lack of quality control as many other models:

7523984324.jpg

"Stripping"-issues in backlit situations...as mentionned here...third paragraph. Simply look at girls face - unbelievable...TIHS IS A SEVERE ISSUE!

OK, for people who don't shoot club/concert or any other backlit scenes, this is not a problem. But as I do it, it's a dealbreaker for me. The Nikon DSLR dinosaurs still have right to live. :grin:

15 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

Django, full ACK. When you shoot R&G you simply don't have the time for Sony-Settings-Tiki-Taka plus mostly you never get the chance for a retake.

Personally, I'm not so enthusiastic about the A7 iii, as it seems to be the same lack of quality control as many other models:

7523984324.jpg

"Stripping"-issues in backlit situations...as mentionned here...third paragraph. Simply look at girls face - unbelievable...TIHS IS A SEVERE ISSUE!

OK, for people who don't shoot club/concert or any other backlit scenes, this is not a problem. But as I do it, it's a dealbreaker for me. The Nikon DSLR dinosaurs still have right to live. :grin:

What's that, is it common with Sony cameras?