GreekBeast

Sony a7 III discussion

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

Would you be as kind as to share some sample footage? 

I was looking for an external monitor, maybe I'll go for Ninja V instead. 

I will try to shoot something interesting over the week end 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had to create an account to respond to your comments regarding the A7III and the Ninja V.

there is quite a massive difference in image quality, a lot less compression artifact and color noise

Oh nah. That's a negative. It can definitely not be classified as massive. I have both an a7III and an Atomos Inferno..while there is a difference, it is negligible. Here are some examples here and here comparing XAVC-S vs ProRes .  And once you upload the video online and youtube has its way with it, the difference with compression artifacts are even more negligible. The money you invest in an external recorder for 8bit Slog2 would be much better invested in an other things.

Being able to focus track faces, with a steady shoulder rigged  135mm at 2.8 in full frame, without a focus puller is priceless IMO.

Yah. If you are shooting 4k...you can't really track faces reliably. The LCD on the back of the A7III goes off and you get no green box on the external monitor. Sure it "tracks" but in more of a "I pray this works" sorta way. 

On 10/26/2018 at 9:40 PM, Mike Mgee said:

I had to create an account to respond to your comments regarding the A7III and the Ninja V.

Oh nah. That's a negative. It can definitely not be classified as massive. I have both an a7III and an Atomos Inferno..while there is a difference, it is negligible. Here are some examples here and here comparing XAVC-S vs ProRes .  And once you upload the video online and youtube has its way with it, the difference with compression artifacts are even more negligible. The money you invest in an external recorder for 8bit Slog2 would be much better invested in an other things.

Yah. If you are shooting 4k...you can't really track faces reliably. The LCD on the back of the A7III goes off and you get no green box on the external monitor. Sure it "tracks" but in more of a "I pray this works" sorta way. 

Except that slog is unworkable internally ,you get color noise and compression artifact all over the place, so If you want to have all the DR that the sensor have to offer you need to record externally .
I do a lot of post work and when you start to move things around, it s immediately visible .
The youtube argument is a nonsense, because even in cinema your bitrate is limited to 250 Mb/s, it s about having some room in post to get your image where you want it before you compress it again.
But my work sometime get screened at festivals so to me it matters.

The motion blur look very different as well.

The examples you sent me have little motion to them.
But yeah, if you shoot cine4 and upload straight to youtube, that make less sense. 

I disagree with the face tracking comment , I shoot with Batis and it work very well, way better than any focus puller would manage on large format/long lens/large aperture , I do MV and fashion mostly and I can t always know where the model/performer is going to move ( and if it s dancer, I want to let him/her do his/her things).

Beside on a shoulder rig you can see both the rear screen and the recorder so you know when it lock in, the screen don t go off if you setup the video signal/trigger properly.

You need to go to the menu and force 4k 24fps out then deactivate the internal recording , and activate to control trigger over hdmi.

If you leave the default parameter, the screen go black and you loose face tracking.

Need some advice guys. Thinking of selling my Sony a6500 and a6300 gear since I only have the kit lens and Sigma 18-35+ Sigma MC-11 left for them. Went with GH5 and GH5s for video and now focused more on videography. Only have the Sonys because I have buddies who only use Sony and they give me gigs as a creative shooter / 2nd shooter just because we can easily match shots when grading. Now there are some photography and sports video gigs that I refuse because 1) I'm not confident with using the GH5 as a photography camera  2) Not confident with the focus with my Sony and 18-35 with the mc-11. I've been eyeing the A7III for some time now but not really sure about the cost vs business. What do you guys suggest? Sell my current Sony a6xx or stick with it and wait for the prices to go down? (Maybe when the A7Siii comes out 😁)

On 10/28/2018 at 2:51 AM, heart0less said:

The only unknown is the white balance on both cameras. Sean mentioned using a white card to properly set it, but this doesn't have to mean that it was set the same. 

Besides, have anyone heard about this C / M / Y correlation regarding skin tones? 

Talk of CMYK ratios for skin tones are pretty common amongst photo retouchers. I wouldnt say that the ratios are typically as 'rigid' as the ones he gives.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:57 AM, TurboRat said:

Need some advice guys. Thinking of selling my Sony a6500 and a6300 gear since I only have the kit lens and Sigma 18-35+ Sigma MC-11 left for them. Went with GH5 and GH5s for video and now focused more on videography. Only have the Sonys because I have buddies who only use Sony and they give me gigs as a creative shooter / 2nd shooter just because we can easily match shots when grading. Now there are some photography and sports video gigs that I refuse because 1) I'm not confident with using the GH5 as a photography camera  2) Not confident with the focus with my Sony and 18-35 with the mc-11. I've been eyeing the A7III for some time now but not really sure about the cost vs business. What do you guys suggest? Sell my current Sony a6xx or stick with it and wait for the prices to go down? (Maybe when the A7Siii comes out 😁)

The A7III is fairly cheap for what it is. But the cost of the lenses have to be factored in, in most cases you don't want to use adapters with AF-C.

9 hours ago, padam said:

The A7III is fairly cheap for what it is. But the cost of the lenses have to be factored in, in most cases you don't want to use adapters with AF-C.

Yeah it's the cost of going to a whole system with a new camera + full frame lenses.

Some SOOC frame grabs from a few a73 shoots recently, including a brewery and a beer festival. Sometimes the job aligns with something you actually enjoy - everyone wanted to contribute to my library of pour video, and I couldn't let the beer go to waste. 

Profile is EOSHD Pro Color.

Lens is Tamron 28-75/2.8, my new go to run-and-gun lens.

Chris

Perfect-Plain-Int-02.jpg

Perfect-Plain-Pour-07.jpg

Perfect-Plain-Int.jpg

Green-Bench-Int.jpg

Crawfish.jpg

36 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Looking real nice! What were your PP settings?

EOSHD ProColor with some tweaks. That profile it's really good but tends to oversaturate and contrast a lot in some situations, so I modify some parameters until I'm ok with the in camera shots. Also I don't know how to work with log profiles on Sony cameras (I do when I have to shoot on cameras like the C200/300) but at least for me that shots are nearly perfect for my taste, specially on a one man work, using just the camera, the lens, a monitor and 3 small aputure lights.

39 minutes ago, Coiii said:

EOSHD ProColor with some tweaks. That profile it's really good but tends to oversaturate and contrast a lot in some situations, so I modify some parameters until I'm ok with the in camera shots. Also I don't know how to work with log profiles on Sony cameras (I do when I have to shoot on cameras like the C200/300) but at least for me that shots are nearly perfect for my taste, specially on a one man work, using just the camera, the lens, a monitor and 3 small aputure lights.

Very cool! Considering your limited resources, those results are all the more impressive. I've done network reality shows that don't look as good. The one thing I'll point out is that there's some weirdness on the subject's nose in your second screen grab. Looks like it could be red channel clipping?

Thanks for the notes on ProColor. I may have to try that if I don't trade out for a Pocket 4K or Fuji. 

If you ever have an interest in shooting LOG, Google the Resolve Color Managed workflow. It's more time and labor intensive if you're editing in premiere/FCPX, but in challenging DR scenes it may really help you out.

35 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Very cool! Considering your limited resources, those results are all the more impressive. I've done network reality shows that don't look as good. The one thing I'll point out is that there's some weirdness on the subject's nose in your second screen grab. Looks like it could be red channel clipping?

Thanks for the notes on ProColor. I may have to try that if I don't trade out for a Pocket 4K or Fuji. 

If you ever have an interest in shooting LOG, Google the Resolve Color Managed workflow. It's more time and labor intensive if you're editing in premiere/FCPX, but in challenging DR scenes it may really help you out.

I'm glad you liked the shots! I'm not really a suuuuuper technical guy, at least not in that highly detailed things, so I can't see that "red channel clipping". But thanks for the advice! I'll try to learn more about that to improve my skills.

About the pro color, I really think that it's a good profile, at least for me it's the best one for the A7III. It's true that it can be a little oversaturated in some situations, but overall I think it's the best to have a good looking image straight from camera. My clients are really happy with the results. You should try it.

And for the LOG workflow, at this moment I'm editing on Premiere. I've tried shooting on SLOG but I'm far from satisfied with my color correction skills. I know that the A7SII/RIII/III SLOG material can be awesome in hands of a good colorist, but I don't have the skills. Maybe I should make some time to learn more in depth about how to work with that, but at least for now and for my edits, Resolve it's not the "all in one" software that I need and I'm used to work with.

1 hour ago, Coiii said:

And for the LOG workflow, at this moment I'm editing on Premiere. I've tried shooting on SLOG but I'm far from satisfied with my color correction skills. I know that the A7SII/RIII/III SLOG material can be awesome in hands of a good colorist, but I don't have the skills. Maybe I should make some time to learn more in depth about how to work with that, but at least for now and for my edits, Resolve it's not the "all in one" software that I need and I'm used to work with.

Really recommend GFILM Log profile for starters. There is a normalization LUT, as well.

12 hours ago, sandro said:

I saw a comparison between a73 and z6 and noticed the sony wins hands down in low light performance. I wonder what sony does differently considering they're both full frame and have the same MP.

Thinner dies in the OLPF I'm guessing. Better s/n, less precise color discrimination. The A7III also does a lot of NR, so look at detail rendering between the two as well.