Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

Need some advice guys. Thinking of selling my Sony a6500 and a6300 gear since I only have the kit lens and Sigma 18-35+ Sigma MC-11 left for them. Went with GH5 and GH5s for video and now focused more on videography. Only have the Sonys because I have buddies who only use Sony and they give me gigs as a creative shooter / 2nd shooter just because we can easily match shots when grading. Now there are some photography and sports video gigs that I refuse because 1) I'm not confident with using the GH5 as a photography camera  2) Not confident with the focus with my Sony and 18-35 with the mc-11. I've been eyeing the A7III for some time now but not really sure about the cost vs business. What do you guys suggest? Sell my current Sony a6xx or stick with it and wait for the prices to go down? (Maybe when the A7Siii comes out ?)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/28/2018 at 2:51 AM, heart0less said:

The only unknown is the white balance on both cameras. Sean mentioned using a white card to properly set it, but this doesn't have to mean that it was set the same. 

Besides, have anyone heard about this C / M / Y correlation regarding skin tones? 

Talk of CMYK ratios for skin tones are pretty common amongst photo retouchers. I wouldnt say that the ratios are typically as 'rigid' as the ones he gives.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:57 AM, TurboRat said:

Need some advice guys. Thinking of selling my Sony a6500 and a6300 gear since I only have the kit lens and Sigma 18-35+ Sigma MC-11 left for them. Went with GH5 and GH5s for video and now focused more on videography. Only have the Sonys because I have buddies who only use Sony and they give me gigs as a creative shooter / 2nd shooter just because we can easily match shots when grading. Now there are some photography and sports video gigs that I refuse because 1) I'm not confident with using the GH5 as a photography camera  2) Not confident with the focus with my Sony and 18-35 with the mc-11. I've been eyeing the A7III for some time now but not really sure about the cost vs business. What do you guys suggest? Sell my current Sony a6xx or stick with it and wait for the prices to go down? (Maybe when the A7Siii comes out ?)

The A7III is fairly cheap for what it is. But the cost of the lenses have to be factored in, in most cases you don't want to use adapters with AF-C.

• 2 weeks later...

Some SOOC frame grabs from a few a73 shoots recently, including a brewery and a beer festival. Sometimes the job aligns with something you actually enjoy - everyone wanted to contribute to my library of pour video, and I couldn't let the beer go to waste. 

Profile is EOSHD Pro Color.

Lens is Tamron 28-75/2.8, my new go to run-and-gun lens.

Chris

Perfect-Plain-Int-02.jpg

Perfect-Plain-Pour-07.jpg

Perfect-Plain-Int.jpg

Green-Bench-Int.jpg

Crawfish.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Looking real nice! What were your PP settings?

EOSHD ProColor with some tweaks. That profile it's really good but tends to oversaturate and contrast a lot in some situations, so I modify some parameters until I'm ok with the in camera shots. Also I don't know how to work with log profiles on Sony cameras (I do when I have to shoot on cameras like the C200/300) but at least for me that shots are nearly perfect for my taste, specially on a one man work, using just the camera, the lens, a monitor and 3 small aputure lights.

39 minutes ago, Coiii said:

EOSHD ProColor with some tweaks. That profile it's really good but tends to oversaturate and contrast a lot in some situations, so I modify some parameters until I'm ok with the in camera shots. Also I don't know how to work with log profiles on Sony cameras (I do when I have to shoot on cameras like the C200/300) but at least for me that shots are nearly perfect for my taste, specially on a one man work, using just the camera, the lens, a monitor and 3 small aputure lights.

Very cool! Considering your limited resources, those results are all the more impressive. I've done network reality shows that don't look as good. The one thing I'll point out is that there's some weirdness on the subject's nose in your second screen grab. Looks like it could be red channel clipping?

Thanks for the notes on ProColor. I may have to try that if I don't trade out for a Pocket 4K or Fuji. 

If you ever have an interest in shooting LOG, Google the Resolve Color Managed workflow. It's more time and labor intensive if you're editing in premiere/FCPX, but in challenging DR scenes it may really help you out.

35 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Very cool! Considering your limited resources, those results are all the more impressive. I've done network reality shows that don't look as good. The one thing I'll point out is that there's some weirdness on the subject's nose in your second screen grab. Looks like it could be red channel clipping?

Thanks for the notes on ProColor. I may have to try that if I don't trade out for a Pocket 4K or Fuji. 

If you ever have an interest in shooting LOG, Google the Resolve Color Managed workflow. It's more time and labor intensive if you're editing in premiere/FCPX, but in challenging DR scenes it may really help you out.

I'm glad you liked the shots! I'm not really a suuuuuper technical guy, at least not in that highly detailed things, so I can't see that "red channel clipping". But thanks for the advice! I'll try to learn more about that to improve my skills.

About the pro color, I really think that it's a good profile, at least for me it's the best one for the A7III. It's true that it can be a little oversaturated in some situations, but overall I think it's the best to have a good looking image straight from camera. My clients are really happy with the results. You should try it.

And for the LOG workflow, at this moment I'm editing on Premiere. I've tried shooting on SLOG but I'm far from satisfied with my color correction skills. I know that the A7SII/RIII/III SLOG material can be awesome in hands of a good colorist, but I don't have the skills. Maybe I should make some time to learn more in depth about how to work with that, but at least for now and for my edits, Resolve it's not the "all in one" software that I need and I'm used to work with.

12 hours ago, sandro said:

I saw a comparison between a73 and z6 and noticed the sony wins hands down in low light performance. I wonder what sony does differently considering they're both full frame and have the same MP.

Thinner dies in the OLPF I'm guessing. Better s/n, less precise color discrimination. The A7III also does a lot of NR, so look at detail rendering between the two as well.

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2018 at 7:50 AM, Walter H said:

Can you link to this? Curious.

Looking at the image comparison tool on DPreview RAW stills look exactly the same. With jpegs the Nikon Noise Reduction make the image less detailed, less noisy too. The Sony has more grain but its much more detailed and looks quite a bit better. Not sure how video differs from stills. 

Okay, so not to derail the thread, but on my A7III when downsampling in post from 4K to 1080p, the image looks terrible. Soft and aliasing. When I had the GH4 the downsampling was great. It retained details very well.

I've tried SLog2 and HLG3 but right now using Cine4 - getting the same soft result for all profiles (when downsampling in post). I do have Detail set to -6 but I think that shouldn't matter. 

What gives? Am I doing something wrong?

Oh, and I've tried in FCPX, Premiere Pro, and Resolve. Premiere Pro seemed to give the best results out of the three but I had to use Unsharp Make at 50 and Sharpen at 20. Just doesn't seem right. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
The 4K is amazing. I mostly shoot and deliver in 4K but there are times I want to shoot 120FPS. I'm a bigger fan of downscaling than upscaling so I thought that shooting 4K and downsampling to 1080 to match the 1080 120FPS would be the route to go. I'm thinking now that maybe I should just try to get away with shooting slo mo as 4K 30 with 120 Shutter and slow in post as much as possible without making the footage choppy... if only it had 4K 60...