Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I shared my latest video and some screengrabs with a filmmaker friend who shoots with the GH5s, asking for his opinion about the tonal transitions, color, noise, detail and highlight roll off.

I did not ask him to evaluate nonsense like ISO 100,000, or any other such pointless rubbish cluttering the Internet.

He said the shots felt like they needed some shadow adjustment, not the extreme shadows, but around the 20-25% luma mark or so; that colour felt a bit magenta overall; and that noise and detail looked good, as did highlight rolloff.

In other words, his evaluation of the image quality aligned perfectly with my own.

He guessed I was using the HLG profile, perhaps because he knows that’s what I shoot on the GH5, perhaps because the results looked so good - I’m can’t be sure.

Anyhow, that’s coming from a person known for being extremely finnicky about image quality. And he was evaluating images straight out of the camera, with no adjustment in post aside from dragging down the shadow wheel!

Discussions about the film look are a rabbit hole. In many ways, the sensor in the a7 III itself outperforms that of many cinema cameras out on the market today, and the meagre 8-bit files look much better than some more robust ones - one downside being that they can’t withstand extreme grading. 

The point being, the a7 III would make a great camera for budget filmmaking or as a B camera - just as filmmakers have been doing with earlier a7* cameras for years.

Have you tried HLG on the Sony A7iii? Just wondering. 

You mostly use Cine4 right? I used to use Cine4 but ?I find it can be problematic with highlights (in terms of easy to blow and hard to reclaim in post (although it does amount to user error.)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Have you tried HLG on the Sony A7iii? Just wondering. 

You mostly use Cine4 right? I used to use Cine4 but ?I find it can be problematic with highlights (in terms of easy to blow and hard to reclaim in post (although it does amount to user error.)

I’ve only used PP1, Cinema2. Unlike the GH5, which I try to shoot to the right, the Sony seems to do best protecting those highlights, at least in the profile I’m currently using.

4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I'm calling FAKE NEWS!1!! He only got one so he has content for his next video: 'Why I'm returning the A7III and getting another Canon!'. ?

So you're saying that if he returns it after making another clickbait video then the purchase will have ceased to exist?  We should use fake news to severely re-write history....  imagine all the people we could save from natural disasters, genocide, etc..

Slightly more seriously, I didn't see anything where he says he's switching, and I do remember him saying he's not definitely switching, so even if he returns it I'm pretty sure no promises will have been broken.  Unless brand loyalty means you can't even look at a different manufacturer when an interesting model walks past you in the shopping centre and you turn your head to look without thinking and then get evil stares from your other half.  Umm..  what were we talking about again?

27 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Um... yikes. Suddenly am a lot more interested in the new Nikon mirrorless than I thought I would be...

Pretty please, could you summarize his thoughts, @Mark Romero 2 ? 

I could only watch up to 19 min. without losing interest. Who in their right mind thinks the a7 III has 15 stops of dynamic range? ? 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Could you summarize his thoughts, @Mark Romero 2 ? 

I could only watch up to 19 min. without losing interest. Who in their right mind thinks the a7 III has 15 stops of dynamic range? ? 

Basically, lots of color fringing, bad skin tones, bad highlight rolloff, and noise. He said that the best way to salvage the footage was to crush the blacks (helps with color fringing and shifts), but that reduces the DR.

Is it just because he is using a blue light in the background and we know the issues that Sony cameras have with blue light???

I will say in the samples he posted the hihglight rollofff looks a lot better than it does on my a6500.

Yeah, I don't know who expected 15 stops of DR.

And he is comparing the a7 III to a $20K Red Helium (as well as a $6K 1 DX II)

2 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Basically, lots of color fringing, bad skin tones, bad highlight rolloff, and noise. He said that the best way to salvage the footage was to crush the blacks (helps with color fringing and shifts), but that reduces the DR.

Is it just because he is using a blue light in the background and we know the issues that Sony cameras have with blue light???

I will say in the samples he posted the hihglight rollofff looks a lot better than it does on my a6500.

Yeah, I don't know who expected 15 stops of DR.

And he is comparing the a7 III to a $20K Red Helium (as well as a $6K 1 DX II)

And I’m seeing pleasing highlight roll off, nice skin tones and ultra clean footage straight out of the camera. ?

14 hours ago, jonpais said:

And I’m seeing pleasing highlight roll off, nice skin tones and ultra clean footage straight out of the camera. ?

Yeah, I like your footage. It is looking good. I like the video you did with the magenta corrections.

If you have a chance though to play around, could you maybe try shooting in Neutral (or Portrait) creative style with the picture profiles off, and then just reduce saturation and contrast (and sharpness) to something like -2, -2, -2 ??? If you have nothing better to do :)

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Mark Romero 2 Shall I send you some clips SOOC to play with?

That would be nice. If you want to upload to dropbox or something, that would be great. Anything with a lot of DR would be awesome!!! :)

51 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yeah, I like your footage. It is looking good. I like the video you did with the magenta corrections.

If you have a chance though to play around, could you maybe try shooting in Neutral (or Portrait) creative style with the picture profiles off, and then just reduce saturation and contrast (and sharpness) to something like -2, -2, -2 ??? If you have nothing better to do :)

That would be nice. If you want to upload to dropbox or something, that would be great. Anything with a lot of DR would be awesome!!! :)

And perhaps burn a hundred candles in my room to test the overheating, throw a hideously oversaturated blue light on the wall behind me just to offend good taste, and rent an Arri to prove I’m no noob? ? 

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

And perhaps burn a hundred candles in my room to test the overheating, throw a hideously oversaturated blue light on the wall behind me just to offend good taste, and rent an Arri to prove I’m no noob? ? 

Make it so as they say on the Enterprise!