Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

to be honest I have the GH5 and A7 III and guess which gets more use... the Sony ?

But why???

Not trolling, just STILL trying to decide between them (and yes, I know that by the time I make a decision on whether to buy the GH5 or a7 III, the GH6 and a7 IV will probably be out...)

If only we can get @mercer and his cat overlord to switch from Canon to Sony then balance in the universe will have been restored / utterly destroyed...

46 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

If only we can get @mercer and his cat overlord to switch from Canon to Sony then balance in the universe will have been restored / utterly destroyed...

Unsure if I should laugh or cry at this comment. With what’s on the market right now, I would probably switch back to Panasonic for the G9 or get an X-H1. But I can assure you, either way there will be imbalance... 

B9D80C0A-E83F-4194-8161-765472A8AC04.jpeg

This was supposed to be in black and white... imbalance

16 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

For what reasons are you using the A7 III more? 

Curious to know as I’m deciding whether to go all Panasonic or all Sony for my new venture. 

I’m in the same boat as @EOSHD_Twitter  the Sony is more reliable. Better workhorse and the full frame sensor is great to have. As much as I love the video specs on a GH5/S, the reliability and image out of the Sony is better to me. 

And i know the canon mirrorless won’t have IBIS or flat profiles or the ability to plug in an XLR mic like the sony

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I’m in the same boat as @EOSHD_Twitter  the Sony is more reliable. Better workhorse and the full frame sensor is great to have. As much as I love the video specs on a GH5/S, the reliability and image out of the Sony is better to me. 

And i know the canon mirrorless won’t have IBIS or flat profiles or the ability to plug in an XLR mic like the sony

Thanks. 

Yes, I have more of an emotional connection with the full frame aesthetic and how lenses with interesting bokeh resolve. 

Hopefully as an unexpected surprise, the A7S III could possibly have 10bit HDMI out  to the Ninja V. That would be awesome. 

Cant knock the GH5 cams for what they do though. I’ve had a blast with it, so it makes my final kit choice a head scratcher. 

Still, the combo of FS5II, A7S III, A7 III and A6700 to cover every possible scenario is edging it. I’m happy to wait it out to see how the upcoming cameras end up. 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

But... but... but...

What you are saying here goes against all forms of logic!!!

What about the 30-minute record limit? What about the overheating? What about the tilt-only screen? What about the 8-bit codec? What about the lack of 4K 60p? What about the sharper 1080p on the GH5? What about the micro HD port? What about the waveform monitor on the GH5? What about the Sony color "science"??? Did they fire the  twelve-year-old intern who was previously in charge of color science for Sony?

This is heresy ?

p.s. please don't flame me. I own four sony cameras.

Plus with the Crop Mode in the A7 series stuff it is like having  whole new camera to work with. I use it a lot just to get a different look, not so much as a zoom tool. But great at that also.

And the hack out for them is a god send for more reasons than the recording limit.

20 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

But... but... but...

What you are saying here goes against all forms of logic!!!

What about the 30-minute record limit? What about the overheating? What about the tilt-only screen? What about the 8-bit codec? What about the lack of 4K 60p? What about the sharper 1080p on the GH5? What about the micro HD port? What about the waveform monitor on the GH5? What about the Sony color "science"??? Did they fire the  twelve-year-old intern who was previously in charge of color science for Sony?

This is heresy ?

p.s. please don't flame me. I own four sony cameras.

All those things go out the window for me as a daily Youtuber. Reliable AF and great low light in full frame 4k is all I need. Good in camera audio as well is important to me. 

Color science is better though. A7III paired with EOSHD ProColor V4 is great. 

almost 3hr battery too! Unless the GH6/S has better AF I won't switch. Its a necessity for me now days....

21 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

All those things go out the window for me as a daily Youtuber. Reliable AF and great low light in full frame 4k is all I need. Good in camera audio as well is important to me. 

Color science is better though. A7III paired with EOSHD ProColor V4 is great. 

almost 3hr battery too! Unless the GH6/S has better AF I won't switch. Its a necessity for me now days....

Out of curiosity, why do you need 4K as a YouTuber? Good AF, yeah I get it. But 4K? Most people are watching on their phones... what’s the benefit of having good 4K?

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Out of curiosity, why do you need 4K as a YouTuber? Good AF, yeah I get it. But 4K? Most people are watching on their phones... what’s the benefit of having good 4K?

The ability to crop and reframe without it looking like s**t. 

Also “future proofing”, so when 4K is the normal viewing standard, his older work still has that 4K option for viewers. 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The ability to crop and reframe without it looking like s**t. 

Also “future proofing”, so when 4K is the normal viewing standard, his older work still has that 4K option for viewers. 

Most vloggers shoot themselves in a medium close up... so where’s the need for reframing?

Idk, I think 8k or 16K could be the norm but you’re only getting so much from a 3-5” screen being held 12-24” from your face.

54 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The GH5 is a fantastic camera.

Like Oliver, though, I think it comes down to the full frame aesthetic on the A7 III - and the autofocus.

GH5 a better choice for anamorphic though.

GH5 is hard to beat really. It’s a unique camera that can film almost anything you throw at it. 

The emotive part is missing for me though on the GH5. When I use or see great full frame footage, I feel tingly. I don’t quite tingle with the GH5, even on the XL SB. 

I don’t think weak Sony colour is a thing anymore. You’ve proved that with your Sony profiles and arguably, I’d say the FS5 II in Venice edges the C200 for colour. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Most vloggers shoot themselves in a medium close up... so where’s the need for reframing?

Idk, I think 8k or 16K could be the norm but you’re only getting so much from a 3-5” screen being held 12-24” from your face.

General viewers just think “4K is better”, even if it perceives to have little difference to 1080. 

Up until 2016, I barely got asked about recording in 4K. Now it’s one of the first thing EVERYONE asks. 

So for Dave, yeah 4k is a plus because “4k is better”, isn’t it? ?