Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, kye said:

Can someone clarify the debate around the colours for me?

There seems to be two kinds of comments.. the "Sony colours are bad" type comments, and the "colours look fine to me" comments.

The A7III colours look fine to me, but I'm definitely not the biggest connoisseur in that department.  Do the "Sony colours look bad" comments include the A7III?  I have seen comments around the A7III having the Venice colour science, so perhaps it's other Sony cameras that these comments are referring to?

Thanks!

@jonpais thanks for that upload - the amount of detail is really impressive..  downscaling 6K seems to be a winner!

Well in the past I would say it was more difficult to get a proper image out of Sony that the majority would find pleasing (especially for those who were using S-log improperly *cough*).

With each new generation of their A7 series they have updated and tweaked their colors. Some love the look of the A7s and A7sII lines but personally I find the new cameras more pleasing. You could get there before, but not as easily. It really comes down to knowing the camera to get the best out of it, when there are so many options in camera to adjust the image, it becomes a matter of learning the camera and learning how to handle it in post. 

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here as well.

Some Panasonic diehards claim the only drawbacks of the GH5 are poor autofocus and weak low light ability. Yet few things in photography are as important as the ability to gather light and focus!

Reliable AF-C is huge, and the a7 III has it in spades. Particularly useful for shooting at wide apertures and gimbal work. And unlike some other manufacturers’ implementation, transitions are not so jarring as to be all but unusable.

And while it’s true that some gimbals have focus solutions for a select few cameras, the focusing is stepped, meaning not smooth. And in the case of Panasonic, it is sometimes restricted to Panasonic lenses, which I rarely use anymore.

Low light as well – the Sony a7 III absolutely crushes the GH5.

Dynamic range? Much greater with the a7 III – the GH5 maxes out at around 10 stops.

Beautiful FF look without BS adapters? Sony.

Is manual focus your bag? Focus peaking is a dream on the Sony, even in difficult lighting and in spite of the lo-rez LCD: with the GH5, you  really need an external monitor for gauging correct focus. And unlike the GH5, focus magnification works even while recording on the a7 III.

The menu system’s a draw since practically every menu item on the Sony can now be assigned to a button or dial; and if that’s not enough, you can create your own My Menu.

Battery life is also no longer an issue with Sony. Too bad Fuji and others require bulky $350 power solutions that make use with a cage or gimbal problematic. And because that battery grip is proprietary, you’ve just thrown your hard-earned cash out the window the moment you upgrade!

And speaking of lenses, just like Fuji, Sony now offers a range of reasonably fast, optically outstanding lenses in the focal lengths I use most – meaning I no longer have to mix and match lenses from a half dozen different manufacturers, each with radically different mechanical properties and color characteristics. And for those who appreciate the very best in mechanical lenses, Voigtlander is stepping up its production of E mount glass.

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

Reliable AF-C is huge, and the a7 III has it in spades. Particularly useful for shooting at wide apertures and gimbal work. And unlike some other manufacturers’ implementation, transitions are not so jarring as to be all but unusable.

You're spot on there. One of the reasons mirrorless started beating DSLRs, in my opinion, was the incredible implementation of eye focusing. I remember many times with my 5DMKII where I got mostly nose shots even though I was using face detection.

Did a corporate shoot yesterday, focus peaking and magnify while works but not great, Canon one is much better implemented and magnification show much more detail than Sony which is just enlarged blurry screen.  But I use AF most of the time but there are times where you want it fixed (like revealing shot and stuff).

The battery life definitely improves a lot, still have 50% battery life left at end of the day, with a7sii I will need at least two batteries.

EE4017D6-3935-463A-891B-D79668EEBA5C.jpeg

On 8/3/2018 at 3:33 AM, ntblowz said:

Did a corporate shoot yesterday, focus peaking and magnify while works but not great, Canon one is much better implemented and magnification show much more detail than Sony which is just enlarged blurry screen.

On the other hand, with the GH5, focus peaking (which is what I rely on for manual focusing), all but disappears when engaging focus assist; which is not the case with the a7 III. 

On 8/2/2018 at 3:53 AM, jonpais said:

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here as well.

Some Panasonic diehards claim the only drawbacks of the GH5 are poor autofocus and weak low light ability. Yet few things in photography are as important as the ability to gather light and focus!

And while it’s true that some gimbals have focus solutions for a select few cameras, the focusing is stepped, meaning not smooth. And in the case of Panasonic, it is sometimes restricted to Panasonic lenses, which I rarely use anymore.

Low light as well – the Sony a7 III absolutely crushes the GH5.

Dynamic range? Much greater with the a7 III – the GH5 maxes out at around 10 stops.

Beautiful FF look without BS adapters? Sony.

Is manual focus your bag? Focus peaking is a dream on the Sony, even in difficult lighting and in spite of the lo-rez LCD: with the GH5, you  really need an external monitor for gauging correct focus. And unlike the GH5, focus magnification works even while recording on the a7 III.

The menu system’s a draw since practically every menu item on the Sony can now be assigned to a button or dial; and if that’s not enough, you can create your own My Menu.

Battery life is also no longer an issue with Sony. Too bad Fuji and others require bulky $350 power solutions that make use with a cage or gimbal problematic. And because that battery grip is proprietary, you’ve just thrown your hard-earned cash out the window the moment you upgrade!

And speaking of lenses, just like Fuji, Sony now offers a range of reasonably fast, optically outstanding lenses in the focal lengths I use most – meaning I no longer have to mix and match lenses from a half dozen different manufacturers, each with radically different mechanical properties and color characteristics. And for those who appreciate the very best in mechanical lenses, Voigtlander is stepping up its production of E mount glass.

I own the a7riii and the GH5 and while the autofocus is superior on the Sony I still think it’s very easy to pull focus manually with the gh5, even without aids such as focus peaking and magnifying. I really don’t know how @jonpais finds he needs an external monitor to manage, especially considering the abysmal resolution on the a7iii viewfinder and screen.

Oh, and even with pro color, the colors are much better on the GH5.

4 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I own the a7riii and the GH5 and while the autofocus is superior on the Sony I still think it’s very easy to pull focus manually with the gh5, even without aids such as focus peaking and magnifying. I really don’t know how @jonpais finds he needs an external monitor to manage, especially considering the abysmal resolution on the a7iii viewfinder and screen.

Oh, and even with pro color, the colors are much better on the GH5.

Thank you for your input.

Sony was among the first, if not the first, to introduce focus peaking in an ILC hybrid camera - its NEX C3 - way back in 2011.

As I understand it, parameters to control peaking sensitivity include a number of factors, including the detection threshold and the radius of influence to determine the areas of focus. Focal length, aperture, micro contrast, algorithms, processing power, the intensity and hue of the peaking and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't claim to understand also play a role. And of course, display resolution, which I already mentioned in my brief overview. 

As I said before, in my experience, peaking is often visible on the LCD of the a7 III when it is barely visible at all on the GH5. Peaking sometimes disappears entirely when using focus assist on the Panasonic, whereas it is easy to see on the Sony. At other times, peaking is restricted to a narrower area on the Sony when it covers a broader, less accurate area on the Panasonic.

YMMV

Toyz r fun.

Even as a student in the ‘80s, specializing in historical and non-silver printing processes, I spent a small fortune on chemicals, French watercolor paper, the best enlarger and lenses I could afford... and copper plates for gravure printing were costly as well. If focus peaking was possible in those days, I would have taken advantage of it too. Trying to focus an enlarger in the darkroom with a five dollar magnifier’s no fun at all!

3 minutes ago, hansel said:

Well if focusing an enlarger was problematic then surely moving subjects are a nightmare to track. 

I understand that tech is an enabler and that is great. You made the right choice the latest Sonya is great. 

May I ask what a Sonya is? ?