Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

Just now, heart0less said:

It's worth noting that it was shot with 1/4 Black Pro Mist and that's why these highlights are so nicely diffused.

Yes, I noticed that and have already opened a YT search for reviews!

I think I've looked at it previously and concluded that I could get a similar effect in post, but I never actually did an A/B.  I think I might grab a few examples of with/without shots and see what Resolve can do to simulate the effect.  There's a lovely plugin called Glow that does a similar thing (I believe).  If I have any progress I'll share it, as doing things in post is more flexible (and cheaper!!).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

More skin tone samples. a7 III. Mixed lighting daylight/fluorescent, ISO 800, Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 65mm f/2 lens. No color correction in post: I just played with the luma curve a bit. To be quite honest, I'm pretty satisfied with both Caucasian and Asian skin tones straight out of the camera. I shot these in PP1 using Paul Leeming's recommended settings, but no LUT applied. I'm also impressed with the accurate white balance when doing custom WB, the easy to see chunky zebras, and the superb focus peaking which makes pulling focus with manual lenses pure joy.

Images

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

More skin tone samples. a7 III. Mixed lighting daylight/fluorescent, ISO 800, Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 65mm f/2 lens. No color correction in post: I just played with the luma curve a bit. To be quite honest, I'm pretty satisfied with both Caucasian and Asian skin tones straight out of the camera. I shot these in PP1 using Paul Leeming's recommended settings, but no LUT applied. I'm also impressed with the accurate white balance when doing custom WB, the easy to see chunky zebras, and the superb focus peaking which makes pulling focus with manual lenses pure joy.

Images

Those look good. How's the Leeming profile with greens and reds in the wild?

Chris

2 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Those look good. How's the Leeming profile with greens and reds in the wild?

Chris

I recruited some new models this afternoon, hopefully I can do some shooting at the park next weekend and get an idea. 

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

I recruited some new models this afternoon, hopefully I can do some shooting at the park next weekend and get an idea. 

I may just go ahead and pull the trigger. Just picked up Andrew's Pro Color and I liked "Totolo-Vision" on the a7sII, a profile shootout is in order. I'm camped out in Arizona right now, daily highs are touching 110f where I am, not exactly 'get out and shoot' weather. 

Cheers

Chris

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I may just go ahead and pull the trigger. Just picked up Andrew's Pro Color and I liked "Totolo-Vision" on the a7sII, a profile shootout is in order. I'm camped out in Arizona right now, daily highs are touching 110f where I am, not exactly 'get out and shoot' weather. 

Cheers

Chris

I was in Phoenix a few years ago in the summer. You could not touch the door handle to open the damn door coming out of Sam's Club 15 minutes later to put away your stuff you just bought, Crazy state. Sedona was about the only place I would want to live in Arizona, and you would have to win the Lotto to buy a house there.

19 hours ago, heart0less said:

Tiffen allowed downloading this file so it's super easy to just grab it, put into Resolve and start tweaking.

Would love to hear your results.

Here it is:

Summary is that you can't simulate it perfectly, but you can probably do a passable job in certain controlled situations.

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The more I see from this camera the more tempted I am to just buy one too!  I told myself I'd wait for the Pocket 2, and Canon and Nikon FF Mirrorless unicorns, but it's very tempting!!

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Are you doing something like this?

That function is really handy..  My XC10 has a similar function, which I believe is a standard function from the Canon cinema line.  

Plus, that guys intro is really funny ???

10 minutes ago, kye said:

@jonpais - thanks!  Lovely images.

Can you share what picture profile and any important settings you used?  Those interested in emulating that look may find it useful :)

Thank you, Kye. I used PP1, Cine2, Cinema, Detail -7, increased saturation a bit in post. 

@kye Today I replaced the APO-Lanthar with the Sony 85mm f/1.8.  Granted, I don’t normally hold the grip with my index finger, but the barrel of the lens near the mount is about the same diameter as the Voigtlander, so bigger hands may feel slightly cramped; but the Sony feels like a tiny m43 lens compared to the Voigtlander.

First disappointment - in video mode it is not possible to activate focus magnification with the focus collar on lenses. Also, IBIS is not nearly as effective as the Panasonic, which matters if you’ve got tremors as bad as I do.

As I stated in my video, unlike shooting HLG with the GH5,  you’ve really got to protect the highlights when shooting Cine2. They are unrecoverable if overexposed even a tiny bit. I still have to try out Slog2.

Finally, I hate those stupid locking lens hood buttons, because if you’re one of those who actually uses hoods, every time you replace a lens, you’ve got to remember whether it’s got one or not. But perhaps the silliest is the screw lock on the Nocticron.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

First disappointment - in video mode it is not possible to activate focus magnification with the focus collar on the lens.

Something that might be changed in a firmware update perhaps?  Is this a function available with other lenses?  It would be strange if Sony didn't enable all the available features for use with their own lenses.

Also, IBIS is not nearly as effective as the Panasonic, which matters if you’ve got tremors as much as I do.

I've heard people say that.  I'm less concerned with it because I've heard the GH5 is spectacular, and I think the combination of A7III and 24-105 F4 has double IS which should be better than the IS I'm used to from my XC10 and Canon 18-55 and 55-250 lenses.

I also use the Gorillapod 5K (the biggest bendy tripod available) as a stabiliser, sometimes it just hangs down under the camera as a counterweight, sometimes I prop the camera up on it like a monopod, and other times I swing the legs horizontally and put them against my chest like a rifle / shoulder mount.  I don't know what your shooting rig and style is like but maybe adding something like this might help?

As I stated in my video, unlike shooting HLG with the GH5,  you’ve really got to protect the highlights when shooting Cine2. They are unrecoverable if overexposed even a tiny bit. I still have to try out Slog2.

I don't know what software you're using, but I think of it like if you're willing to grade the footage then it's not much more work to put a converter on the footage to go from log to something else before working on the footage.  This means you can shoot in log and be a bit safer from exposure errors.

My current approach with my XC10 is to shoot in C-Log, and then in Resolve:

• Have the first node correcting any exposure or WB issues
  • Then the next to convert from C-Log to Rec709
  • Then grade as you would normally

I've found that when shooting in log there is much more latitude to change exposure and WB in post (with that first node) than if you're shooting a more REC709 style profile and trying to correct that in post.

If I end up with the A7III I would experiment with the above workflow and trial either Slog2 or Slog3.  I've heard that Slog2 is harder to grade, but if you have a decent converter then that difference doesn't really apply.  IIRC Slog3 has greater dynamic range than Slog2 so I would trial that and see how it goes.  The thing to watch for in Slog3 would be if there is enough contrast in skin tones so that when you stretch things back out again with the converter they don't look blotchy or strange.

I can't recall if the A7III allows you to put a LUT on the screen / viewfinder while shooting log?  If not, then another downside of shooting log is that it's harder to see the monitor as it's such a flat profile.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

First disappointment - in video mode it is not possible to activate focus magnification with the focus collar on lenses. Also, IBIS is not nearly as effective as the Panasonic, which matters if you’ve got tremors as bad as I do.

Check your settings, in MF or DMF mode mine magnifies when I turn the focus ring to the first zoom stage, then I hit the magnify button for more zoom.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Check your settings, in MF or DMF mode mine magnifies when I turn the focus ring to the first zoom stage, then I hit the magnify button for more zoom.

Chris

I think that is just for stills. I dont even think they have DMF in video mode.

@jonpais 1. Well you could put focus magnify on a custom function button. 2. I am willing to bet (never used the Sony FE 85 1.8) that you will get better stabilization with the Batis 85 (my favorite video lens) because of the built in OIS - it still wont be up to Panasonic though.

Yeah, it’s the same story with any lens in video mode - turning the focus ring for magnification only works for shooting stills. Assigning a fn button for focus assist isn’t the end of the world though.

I’ve got a little Manfrotto Pixi that I really like - I might try using that to help with the shakes. It doesn’t give me more points of contact, but when folded up I can get a nice grip on it.