Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Gotcha, does the focus peaking work while using AF? Just curious if you could see the change in AF with the focus peaking dots.

Not sure if that’s possible. That’s one thing I like about recording externally, for sure - being able to see the peaking - even during playback!

Been using the A7 III with the new Tamron 28-75 for a couple of day. 
Great camera overall. Lots of improvement compared with my older A7RII. Much better than the GH5 for the same price. In fact a totally different league for stills. 
For video the AF is so unusable on the GH5 and so good on the A7 that it's also a kill for me. 

The cons are still the shitty menus even though I could set up my own ones. There are still some frustrating shits from Sony. 
For exemple I set up the dial "1" for 4K and the dial "2" for 120p with specific settings. Great. Now I can only set once and forever what shooting mode (aperture priority, manual...) for those otherwise I have to completely start over. What it means is in "1" and "2" mode that you use with the dial, you cannot choose even in the menus your shooting mode. This is ridiculous. 

Many frustrating and ridiculous ergonomic stuff like this. Also the camera is way too short. The grip is fine for a kid or small woman hand but not a man, what were they thinking?

But much overall better than before. And IQ is great, 120p is great, AF is great, IBIS is fine, S35 mode is fantastic ... Definitely the best camera on the market for 2K and that Tamron 28-75mm is fantastic. 800 bucks and 550g for a 28-75mm f/2.8 is killing it. 

Combo works well on my Crane Plus. 

Until the A7SIII is out there is nothing better at that price. 

EDIT: this might fix the grip too short problem https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334069-REG/really_right_stuff_ba9_base_plate_base_plate_for_sony.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjwyrvaBRACEiwAcyuzRCIVpadM8fw7qzuDhV_PDMbeD_m0_IQY1m06fG9E_t2KTAqy-MEt-xoCn-wQAvD_BwE&smp=y

@wolf33d interesting information - thanks.  The internet isn't keen to tell you the weaknesses of various products!

In terms of the size, I'm sure that lots of accessories are (or will be) available for making the camera bigger - if only there were accessories available for making a camera smaller and lighter!!  Then I might buy a C700 and as many accessories as it takes to make it the size of an RX100 ???

BTW, I was thinking, if Nikon is copying the A7III with their soon to come mirorless well it should be great because I am sure the ergonomics, menus and so on will be better. And it will have a timelapse intervalometer. Again, what were Sony thinking in removing this feature ?!

4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Been using the A7 III with the new Tamron 28-75 for a couple of day. 
Great camera overall. Lots of improvement compared with my older A7RII. Much better than the GH5 for the same price. In fact a totally different league for stills. 
For video the AF is so unusable on the GH5 and so good on the A7 that it's also a kill for me. 

The cons are still the shitty menus even though I could set up my own ones. There are still some frustrating shits from Sony. 
For exemple I set up the dial "1" for 4K and the dial "2" for 120p with specific settings. Great. Now I can only set once and forever what shooting mode (aperture priority, manual...) for those otherwise I have to completely start over. What it means is in "1" and "2" mode that you use with the dial, you cannot choose even in the menus your shooting mode. This is ridiculous. 

Many frustrating and ridiculous ergonomic stuff like this. Also the camera is way too short. The grip is fine for a kid or small woman hand but not a man, what were they thinking?

But much overall better than before. And IQ is great, 120p is great, AF is great, IBIS is fine, S35 mode is fantastic ... Definitely the best camera on the market for 2K and that Tamron 28-75mm is fantastic. 800 bucks and 550g for a 28-75mm f/2.8 is killing it. 

Combo works well on my Crane Plus. 

Until the A7SIII is out there is nothing better at that price. 

EDIT: this might fix the grip too short problem https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334069-REG/really_right_stuff_ba9_base_plate_base_plate_for_sony.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjwyrvaBRACEiwAcyuzRCIVpadM8fw7qzuDhV_PDMbeD_m0_IQY1m06fG9E_t2KTAqy-MEt-xoCn-wQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Not only is the grip too short, but it’s also too close to the lens mount: so with many of Sony’s lenses, my fingers are sort of squished between the grip and the lens. 

On 7/19/2018 at 2:02 PM, jonpais said:

a7 III with the Voigtlander 65mm f/2.

In a way that's a side effect of the large aperture lenses - those things are so fat it's more like the lens is squishing your fingers against the grip instead of the other way around!!

On 7/19/2018 at 10:16 AM, jonpais said:

Not only is the grip too short, but it’s also too close to the lens mount: so with many of Sony’s lenses, my fingers are sort of squished between the grip and the lens. 

I agree with you about the lens mount (but at least they put the lens release button on the right side.)

Not so much about the grip being too short. Yes, I hear where you are coming from - you are used to a DSLR where your 'pinkie' fits on the grip and that feels comfortable - so it doesnt feel comfortable when it doesnt.

However, I have a different experience. I have never owned a DSLR - only mirrorless - so I am used to having my pinkie under the camera. If I pick up a DSLR or even use the battery grip, it feels uncomfortable/klunky to me.

But I would guess that Nikon will design their mirrorless to suit DSLR/ex-DSLR users and go with a longer grip. In fact, I suspect they will go pretty retro and their mirrorless will look something like a FF Fuji....

9 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

But I would guess that Nikon will design their mirrorless to suit DSLR/ex-DSLR users and go with a longer grip. In fact, I suspect they will go pretty retro and their mirrorless will look something like a FF Fuji....

Yeah I am sure that is the way they will go more than the Sony way, at least on their top end one.

• Super Members

Nikon got caned for the styling of the Df - mainly from the sidelines by people who'd never buy it anyway - so I'm not sure they'll go down that route again so quickly so I expect it might be quite a 'safe' design they launch with.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they did make it like the Df though as I absolutely love mine. 

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

This is one of the few videos shot on a7 III that made me somehow believe in its video capabilities.

This one is also appealing to me, though shot on a7R III.

Thanks! Those videos are lovely.  

The more I look at footage the more I think that there's something about the way cameras handle highlights that I am sensitive to, the shot at 1:40 in the A7III video (the light bulb in the background) was very nice.

I'm looking forward to the A7III finding its way into the hands of the masters who know how to make it truly shine and we can get more examples of its potential.  In a sense if it can shoot Slog to match their cinema cameras then the rest is in capturing and grading well.

4 minutes ago, kye said:

The more I look at footage the more I think that there's something about the way cameras handle highlights that I am sensitive to, the shot at 1:40 in the A7III video (the light bulb in the background) was very nice.

It's worth noting that it was shot with 1/4 Black Pro Mist and that's why these highlights are so nicely diffused.