Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

On 6/28/2018 at 1:48 PM, Robert Collins said:

Actually I have never really had a problem with Sony skin tones but, then again, I live in SE Asia too. I have a 'vague theory' that Sony colors work well with Asian skin tones. I have certainly seen some pretty horrid Caucasian skin tones from Sony.

Inserts token portrait from earlier this week ...

1588591638_chin(1of1).thumb.jpg.ba183e5ec16776568b0836eac6ce9d95.jpg 

Thanks... what lens you used for this photo? Or it is really extracted from some clip? If so, it looks to me different than Jon's samples... So, is there difference between how does sony a7iii process still and video image?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, mercer said:

I try not to subscribe to political movements or social media prescribed causes created by political operatives to use the masses’ need to be heard on their 15 minute soapbox.

Interesting you word it like this. I've often thought it's almost like they don't really care about the viewpoint as much as... just having a viewpoint to espouse. ? 

I picked up the 28mm f2 whilst I was in HK after realising three things

a) with cropping to 35mm, the 28mm f2 would still have the same depth of field as my Samyang 35mm f2.8

b) I can shoot with a faster shutter with the f2.

c) there isnt much of a size difference

This is with the 35mm f2.8:

A7303145.thumb.jpg.349e05a05a77156a2cb1a1b51a379265.jpg

This is the 28mm f2 cropped to the same FOV:

A7303146.thumb.jpg.806c817cf9205652d999077e2f1d6c67.jpg

Plus the look of a wide angle with large aperture is just great

A7303055.thumb.jpg.6aad079358a375c72661647701bcc895.jpg

16 hours ago, anonim said:

Thanks... what lens you used for this photo? Or it is really extracted from some clip? If so, it looks to me different than Jon's samples... So, is there difference between how does sony a7iii process still and video image?

This is with the Batis 85. It is a 'still' from a 14bit raw file so you can obviously process how you want unlike the 100mb/s 8 bit video where your ability to process is very limited.

Here are a couple of straight out of camera jpegs (8 bit) to show how the Sony renders by default.

AR309893.thumb.JPG.bd4ddf3ffa517a02c358a5201ac0fa2f.JPG

This is the original jpeg of the earlier photo....

AR300225.thumb.JPG.c8d31c5bcf73c0dccbedc948b35bf40f.JPG

And this is another straight out of camera jpeg. So you can see that Sony renders its jpegs with a lot of contrast, saturation and a lot of sharpening which is different to Jon's video grab (and most video). I also think the Sony has a tendency towards slightly cartoonish colors.

Theoretically you can match the video to stills with PP2 (still) from the video picture profiles. My guess is that most people wouldnt go down that route.

Thanks again, sir... Alas, it looks to me that gorgeous look of you photo from earlier post (you explained it as processed RAW) is completely lost even in straight jpeg, so it seems the same case happens in video usage that interests me exclusively.

4 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

This is with the Batis 85. It is a 'still' from a 14bit raw file so you can obviously process how you want unlike the 100mb/s 8 bit video where your ability to process is very limited.

Interesting images.  What RAW recorder are you using?

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Thanks again, sir... Alas, it looks to me that gorgeous look of you photo from earlier post (you explained it as processed RAW) is completely lost even in straight jpeg, so it seems the same case happens in video usage that interests me exclusively.

I only think that this is half right. Sony gives quite a lot of leeway in its video profiles to produce straight out of camera close to what you might want (hence Andrew Reid's Pro color etc..). What you can do is make 'global adjustments' to saturation, color, contrast etc but they effect the whole output.

What you cannot really do with 8 bit video is make 'selective adjustments' in post whereby you brighten/add contrast/sharpen part of the image  while perhaps doing the opposite to other parts of the image/video. That's why people are crying out for a thicker video codec from Sony.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Interesting images.  What RAW recorder are you using?

I use Lightroom. But that is because I like the Library/DAM and integration with photoshop (hence the missing baby.) If you dont use photoshop 
Capture One (comes free with your camera) is possibly a better choice as an all in one raw converter.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone shot anything really impressive with the A7III yet?

I did a big comparison of the 'look' of the BMPCC vs the A73 by binging on BMPCC travel films for 2-3 hours and then trying to binge on A7III films, but the only real observation I made was that A7III owners can't edit for sh*t!

The only A7III videos I've seen that aren't terrible are these..

Matti Haapoja (he had focus issues - I think from not using the right focus modes)

Christian Mate Grab:

21 hours ago, kye said:

Has anyone shot anything really impressive with the A7III yet?

I did a big comparison of the 'look' of the BMPCC vs the A73 by binging on BMPCC travel films for 2-3 hours and then trying to binge on A7III films, but the only real observation I made was that A7III owners can't edit for sh*t!

Agreed.  I haven't had a chance to do anything serious with mine yet (and I live in freakin' Indiana, so there's that). But a lot of the stuff out there, and the "cinematic" examples on youtube, are pretty bad overall.  I think a lot of people are upgrading from a6500 type cameras and they're more vloggers than filmmakers.  The second example you posted is particularly nice, I think that's the best I've seen.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:06 PM, heart0less said:

A lot has been said about alleged stuttering and jerkiness in videos on pages ~20.

Can some happy owners of the a7 III either confirm or deny these issues?

How do you like the video features? 

You need to bare in mind that I am more a photographer and have only attempted video in the last year. To me this video shows a lot of the A7riii (which is almost identical to the A7iii) features.....

1) Handheld video at 85mm 1.8 is a breeze

2) Video af is pretty good (note it wasnt distracted by the bright light.)

3) I dont know what the iso was but it was decently high (say 3200) and the video looks very clean to me

4) The internal mics sound pretty good to me (apologies to sound experts.)

5) Straight out of camera colors look decent to me

6) You, of course, have the full frame look...

4 hours ago, Drew Allegre said:

Agreed.  I haven't had a chance to do anything serious with mine yet (and I live in freakin' Indiana, so there's that). But a lot of the stuff out there, and the "cinematic" examples on youtube, are pretty bad overall.  I think a lot of people are upgrading from a6500 type cameras and they're more vloggers than filmmakers.  The second example you posted is particularly nice, I think that's the best I've seen.

freakin' Indiana is Freakin Beautiful to shoot in! I was in Brookville and Saint Marys road to Sunman 2 days ago, just a beautiful area. This Harley was shot in Brookville, Indiana.

The video below was shot on Saint Marys Road. I had to hurry, Really Hurry! The Farmer that owned that Field was Mowing the other side of the road I was parked on with a John Deere Tractor from hell coming at me fast as heck!  He stopped in front of my car and I talked to him I bet for 15 minutes about his farm and my video equipment. Farmers are great people. And there is a Bunch of them close to where I live. I only live like 5 miles from the Indiana border in Ohio. Most of my fathers side of the family are farmers in Iowa.

DSC01568.thumb.JPG.c71f445ca58e0b25bca3a46eb662753a.JPG

51 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

freakin' Indiana is Freakin Beautiful to shoot in! I was in Brookville and Saint Marys road to Sunman 2 days ago, just a beautiful area. This Harley was shot in Brookville, Indiana.

The video below was shot on Saint Marys Road. I had to hurry, Really Hurry! The Farmer that owned that Field was Mowing the other side of the road I was parked on with a John Deere Tractor from hell coming at me fast as heck!  He stopped in front of my car and I talked to him I bet for 15 minutes about his farm and my video equipment. Farmers are great people. And there is a Bunch of them close to where I live. I only live like 5 miles from the Indiana border in Ohio. Most of my fathers side of the family are farmers in Iowa.

Haha, I've grew up in small town KS, so I'm quite familiar with the backroads of the midwest.  One of my favorite games to play is to just drive and flip a coin at an intersection every once in awhile and see where I end up.  I'm currently in Fort Wayne, which is actually surprisingly rich with interesting subject matter and local art, so really no excuses there.  That said, I have relatives that live in the shadows of both Rocky Mountain NP and Glacier NP...none of them have made a trip this direction for the purpose of scoping out the local terrain. 

My first serious run with the A7III will be next weekend.  I'm due to cover a car show in a pretty idyllic looking little town, so hopefully I'll do it justice.