Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

On 6/21/2018 at 2:15 AM, jonpais said:

Thanks, Kye. The AF is like magic coming from Panasonic all these years.

The first Sony lens I tried out in the shop, the 24-240mm, is insanely fast, accurate and silent, which is what made me decide to return the Sigma and stick with Sony/Zeiss. I'm not overly fond of zooms, so aside from the 16-35mm f/2.8, I got the 50mm f/1.4, the 35mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8. I just hope the cat's eye bokeh of the 85mm doesn't drive me nuts.

If you want full Sony experience native lens is the way to go! 3rd party & adapter lens sometimes can drive you mad with those little glitches/imperfection.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello, 

I am getting the 7III soon. Shot with A7RII 2 years ago, cant remember what I used.

I plan to set the Custom 1 dial to 4K30p with specific PP and settings, Custom 2 for HD120p with specific settings again, and using the regular priority aperture mode for photos. Therefore I would never be using the proper video mode. Few questions:

- Is there an inconvenient with that? 
- I assume the Custom 1 and 2 on the dials are considered photo mode. Any disadvantage shooting videos in photo mode? (like different AF performance, ...) Am I loosing anything not using the regular video mode?

If above is not good what do you recommend? 
For PP, AF settings and so on I am all set. 

Thanks

55 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Hello, 

I am getting the 7III soon. Shot with A7RII 2 years ago, cant remember what I used.

I plan to set the Custom 1 dial to 4K30p with specific PP and settings, Custom 2 for HD120p with specific settings again, and using the regular priority aperture mode for photos. Therefore I would never be using the proper video mode. Few questions:

- Is there an inconvenient with that? 
- I assume the Custom 1 and 2 on the dials are considered photo mode. Any disadvantage shooting videos in photo mode? (like different AF performance, ...) Am I loosing anything not using the regular video mode?

If above is not good what do you recommend? 
For PP, AF settings and so on I am all set. 

Thanks

This is the exact set up I use on my A7riii - the big advantage is that it is super easy to switch from photo to video and back - it works really well for me.

I have it setup so that C1 and C2 'are' in 'video mode'.

One disadvantage, as pointed out by another poster on this thread, is that you 'cant' set a 'custom white balance' to work under C1 and C2.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:29 PM, kye said:

Someone recommended this YT guy in the a6300 thread and I saw these two videos - very useful!

I know people aren't fans of Sony menus, but some of that stuff is ridiculous!

Gary Friedman's books on the A7x series are excellent (PDFs about US$30) - I always buy one when I get a new A7 version. They run to over 600 pages!! Although about 300 pages are filler - things like how to use flash with your A7x.

They are incredibly comprehensive and a great reference document with good indexing. 

What I dreaded the most going with the a7 III were the skin tones... I half expected them to be a nightmare, and most of what I'd seen online didn't inspire much hope. But I shot a few clips at the post office this morning (mix of daylight/fluorescent), and the colors look fine to me, especially since I didn't do much in the way of color correction. So far, finding the Sony a joy to shoot with...

Edit: A more accurate representation of the colors can be found here.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 1.41.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 1.33.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 1.38.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 1.39.48 PM.png

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

What I dreaded the most going with the a7 III were the skin tones... I half expected them to be a nightmare, and most of what I'd seen online didn't inspire much hope. But I shot a few clips at the post office this morning (mix of daylight/fluorescent), and the colors look fine to me, especially since I didn't do much in the way of color correction. So far, finding the Sony a joy to shoot with...

Edit: A more accurate representation of the colors can be found here.

Actually I have never really had a problem with Sony skin tones but, then again, I live in SE Asia too. I have a 'vague theory' that Sony colors work well with Asian skin tones. I have certainly seen some pretty horrid Caucasian skin tones from Sony.

Inserts token portrait from earlier this week ...

1588591638_chin(1of1).thumb.jpg.ba183e5ec16776568b0836eac6ce9d95.jpg 

On 6/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, jonpais said:

@Ed_David why don’t you stop being an ass clown?

Really? Does that require an answer?

You think that, yourself, a person who has bullied and harassed multiple people on this forum for years, including a really prominent DP, John Brawley, can continue such behavior and be free from my dorky act of "downvoting"? 

With your continual act of calling people "assholes" and "f*ckers" and using sexual harassment towards said members.

Well at least you are no longer an admin.

You may be in your 70's, but you act like you're 16.

And maybe you actually are 16, and pretending to be 61.  Or maybe you are Ebrahim's real father, or the real Ebrahim. 

Or maybe you don't exist.  You are just a figment of Ebrahim Jr's imagination, and this whole time he is laughing, laughing with his SLR rangefinder and playstation 4.

@Ed_David You are the one who, because you had a grudge against Blackmagic, started a topic here in which you fabricated a story about seeing a scratched Ursa at your favorite retailer; alleged that their cameras were flimsily constructed and that they were finished as a company; and went on to disseminate lies that Blackmagic Design was intentionally selling defective products to the public: a smear campaign expressly calculated to hurt BMD’s sales, you sideshow freak.

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Ed_David You are the one who, because you had a grudge against Blackmagic, started a topic here in which you fabricated a story about seeing a scratched Ursa at your favorite retailer; alleged that their cameras were flimsily constructed and that they were finished as a company; and went on to disseminate lies that Blackmagic Design was intentionally selling defective products to the public: a smear campaign expressly calculated to hurt BMD’s sales, you sideshow freak.

This statement is offensive, defamatory, and a distortion of the facts. Ed's owned  an Ursa, have you? Or are you just talking out of your arse as usual. This is the second time you've attacked a professional cinematographer on this forum in as many weeks. Keep it up mate, tick tock.

6 minutes ago, squig said:

This statement is offensive, defamatory, and a distortion of the facts. Ed's owned  an Ursa, have you? Or are you just talking out of your arse as usual. This is the second time you've attacked a professional cinematographer on this forum in as many weeks. Keep it up mate, tick tock.

I think you are the one talking out of your arse, m8.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

1. STRAWMAN / FAKE NEWS

Excuse me, Jonathan Pais, "fabricated" a story?  You mean that my visit to B&H was fake news?  That I didn't really see a broken camera on display there and had a talk with the rep there about it?

Yea, what an amazing story I made up!  So creative!  I am a literary genius!

2.  We were talking about your harassment and trolling of users on here.  If you want to make this about me, sure.  I know my weaknesses as a human being.  I am aware of them.  I have learned about how I treat other people online, and I have grown up.  You haven't.

OKAY LETS CLEAR THE AIR, FRIENDS.

Jonpais is an example of gamergate trolls, except he somehow doesn't have an xbox controller, he has his little gh5, which he defends like some people defend like a human being.  He clearly has Trump-like political views and thrives in Trump-style harassment, sexual and abusive and otherwise, of other people. 

What is gamergate?  That's the movement of harassment of female videogame journalists that was started in part by Steve Bannon and Milos, the man who two days before a shooter murdered five journalists called for a "vigilante" to murder journalists.  This gamergate movement seems pretty strong in the dslr world, at least from my interactions on here when I went after Philip Bloom after his ex-finance and ex-girlfriend accused him of domestic abuse, a whole three years before #metoo.  I wonder how things would have gone down during the #metoo phase for Mr. Bloom, and all those who supported him and accused the women of "making it all up." ? 

But I digress, why go after a man who allegedly beats his girlfriends when we are here to talk about Jon Pais?

Including, and here me out, Ebrahim Sr, who turned out to be just a figment of Ebrahim Jr, who very well may be either a avatar of Jon Pais (check the timestamps and IP of their postings) or potentially all just sockpuppets of me, who is pretending to be Ed David, but I'm actually not him, I am Susan Sarandon's older sister who got into this site after buying a GH2 and hacked it. 

Yep Steve Bannon level shennigans has been on EOSHD now for years - and as an admin.

I love Andrew Reid - I love that he allows anyone on here - and that's the whole point of freedom of expression.  The only site I haven't been kicked off of!  The only one.  But with it, you still can't just post stuff Jon and not get called out.  Just as I get called out, and I appreciated it so much, I stopped posting my stupid stuff!

But anyway, mr Jonatahn Pais aka Ebrahim Sr, don't expect to not get blowback if you are harassing other people.  And , to use your own gamergate terminology,  "don't be such a snowflake, bro.  #MAGA!"

On 6/30/2018 at 9:49 AM, mercer said:

Jon Pais is not Ebrahim Sr...

Because...

I am the illegitimate love child of Ebrahim Sr and Steve Bannon.

Whew... I’ve never said that aloud before.

Whomever Jonathan Pais is, whatever his story is (and I am interested to know what he does for work, why he lives in Vietnam, and the story behind his photos) - I don't want at this point to resort to his level of personal harassment and ad hominem attacks.  I mean, I can - because I don't abide by the snowflake attitude of "when they go low, we go high" - I like to go low.

But hey, this is a site about gear and tech, not about all the other things that you can find on social media sites that deal with the hypocrities of the gamergate movement, and now the Trump movement that is gamergate 2.0 or breitbart 1.5 which started with gamergate, or now starwars gate?  

This is about looking at people's work and critiquing it, and finding ways to make things look better, and using tech to create art.  And on the cheap - to not spend thousands to get anamorphic looks.  A place for everyone, not the elite rich kids with their alexas they get fresh out of NYU film school.

So Jonathan I will say this: you make the GH5 look like rec 709 video stuff from the late 90s.  A lot of other users on here are doing much more interesting things with the beautiful camera.  If you stopped trolling everyone, maybe you could learn a thing or two from them.

Judging by all your comments, I think you are insecure about your footage.  Behind the "tough guy" exterior, you are a whiny little insecure person. 

We all are insecure about our work.  I am very insecure about my work.  You know your work isn't as good as everyone elses, so you lash out at them.  Which is different than most people, who don't lash out, they look inward, and try to figure out how to improve, going on forums like these and other places to improve their craft.

And that's sad, because this forum shouldn't be a place of toxitity, it should be a place of support.  To encourage people.  To not listen to the voices that say "we suck as artists" but push us past it, and feel good and shoot and shoot.

44 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

But hey, this is a site about gear and tech, not about all the other things that you can find on social media sites that deal with the hypocrities of the gamergate movement, and now the Trump movement that is gamergate 2.0 or breitbart 1.5 which started with gamergate, or now starwars gate?  

I try not to subscribe to political movements or social media prescribed causes created by political operatives to use the masses’ need to be heard on their 15 minute soapbox.

It’s amazing how alone we are when we have the world at our fingertips. And these people of power exploit that loneliness and that need to be heard. So, for me, if a cause begins with a hashtag or ends with a gate... I shrug my shoulders and root for the pawns...

But I digress...

You’re right, this site is about tech and craft. For me it’s about learning from more talented people than myself on how to get a modicum of beauty in my images... but I’m just a hobbyist with narrative dreams.

But like you once wrote, “art is politics” so in a community where relationships are forged by artists and craftsman, it is only natural for conversations to evolve from the passion of creation.

So what is Jon Pais’ story? What is mine? Or yours?

We all hide behind a moniker and an avatar as we anonymously hang our creative laundry for professionals and amateurs to critique. With every screengrab or video we share, we also share a vulnerability and unfortunately some people piss all over that. There are some nasty fuckers on this site.

So I guess the question is... is Jon one of them...

In the end, I don’t really care what some older American living abroad thinks. As I’m sure others don’t care what a 43 year old guy from South Jersey thinks but I must admit, as a storyteller, I do enjoy the drama.

So carry on.

When I was a mod at cinema5D, banning members was quite rare and taken very seriously with a lot of internal deliberation amongst the mods. Ultimately the good of the community won out over the personal issues of the disruptive individual. I reported jon's defamatory post, it was really ugly stuff. I think that's the first time I've reported a post on this forum. You cross a line when you distort the truth in such a way that it may damage someone's reputation. Malice should never be tolerated.