Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

I really need reliable AF-C, and good low light performance wouldn’t hurt either. If Sigma hadn’t come out with their  e mount Art lenses, I probably would’ve held off though - the G Masters are just too rich for my blood. 

I’m not getting rid of the GH5 any time soon, I still like the image quality I’m seeing. 

Reliable AF-C is what put me off the GH5, and also takes the Pocket 2 off the list for me as well.  

If you're into hand-held stuff, then it's difficult because you need low RS, good stabilisation, reliable AF-C, and if you also do fast-paced stuff in difficult conditions like I do then you also need good high ISO performance, high DR, and flexible lenses.  That combination is like finding gold at the end of the rainbow unfortunately!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, kye said:

Is the dark side Sony or Sigma??

4474065261_4f95455a3d_z.jpg

Thanks @jonpais for mentioning the Sigma lenses, I hadn't spotted them yet in my Sony research.  The 24-105 F4 and 70-200 F2.8 are quite a bit cheaper than the Sony offerings!!

The 50mm and 85mm f/1.4 are the first Art lenses to come in e mount.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The 50mm and 85mm f/1.4 Art lenses are the first two that come in e mount.

Do the 24-105 F4 and 70-200 F2.8 not fit the A7III?  Sonys lens mounts confuse the heck out of me..  multiple lens mounts and multiple sensor sizes but the two don't seem to line up :(

42 minutes ago, kye said:

Do the 24-105 F4 and 70-200 F2.8 not fit the A7III?  Sonys lens mounts confuse the heck out of me..  multiple lens mounts and multiple sensor sizes but the two don't seem to line up :(

You are right the Sony line up is pretty confusing. They have a sort of 'legacy' 'A' mount (both FF and APSC) which is effectively a cross between DSLR and mirrorless and an 'E' mount both FF and APSC which is fully mirrorless. 'A' mount lenses can be used on 'E' mount with an 'adapter' but 'A' mount lenses do not adapt particularly well to 'E' mount. So if you are looking at using Sigma lenses on an 'E' mount camera you are better off adapting Sigma 'Canon' lenses with the MC11 adapter.

To make matters even more confusing, Sigma recently announced a set of 'art' lenses for the 'E' mount (all primes). These dont need an adapter. They are new (so we dont know much). I think there is a suspicion that as they havent been designed specifically for 'mirrorless' (apart from the mount) the autofocus might not match existing Sony (full frame) 'E' mount lenses (on the basis they dont have step motors like the recently announced Tamron 28-75 2.8.)

This from Sigma:

Autofocus tuned for each lens

Thanks to an autofocus drive control program tuned for each lens and high-speed data transmission, the lenses will offer high-speed autofocus at the same performance level as that of a lens designed exclusively for mirrorless cameras. In particular, in E-mount cameras offering Sony’s Fast Hybrid AF, AF-C mode will deliver exceptional subject following performance. Moreover, autofocus will remain extremely precise even in those E-mount cameras offering only contrast AF.

I only started shooting today, so can’t say how fast video AF-C is just yet.

I went around shooting random people on the street this morning to see just how horrid the Sony colors were. I shot using the Cine2 picture profile. Anyhow, I've seen worse color I guess. The original looks nice and warm, the uploaded image has a bad cyan cast or something. Sorry about that!

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 2.18.17 PM.png

Thanks @Robert Collins and @jonpais.  Considering I'm not buying until the end of the year my take-away is to wait and let other people do the work with their clickbait-y "Every A7III lens compared" type reviews and just pause the video every now and then to make sure they're not using an adapter. :)

@jonpais what software are you using to save / convert?   I was just going to use Resolve to do the colour and gamma transforms for me and then tweak from there.

50 minutes ago, kye said:

Thanks @Robert Collins and @jonpais.  Considering I'm not buying until the end of the year my take-away is to wait and let other people do the work with their clickbait-y "Every A7III lens compared" type reviews and just pause the video every now and then to make sure they're not using an adapter. :)

@jonpais what software are you using to save / convert?   I was just going to use Resolve to do the colour and gamma transforms for me and then tweak from there.

That was just in FCP X. Still not sure why the colors look so awful, my other screen grabs here are pretty representative of how the originals looked. Bizarre!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

That was just in FCP X. Still not sure why the colors look so awful, my other screen grabs here are pretty representative of how the originals looked. Bizarre!

If you grab from the screen you'll be going through your display LUT, and didn't you recently recalibrate your displays?

That might explain it if something has radically changed.

10 minutes ago, kye said:

If you grab from the screen you'll be going through your display LUT, and didn't you recently recalibrate your displays?

That might explain it if something has radically changed.

That must be it! Thanks.

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

That must be it! Thanks.

The Cine gammas also tend to need a bit of correction work in post as well. Check out Andrew’s latest EOSHD color if you haven’t already, was hugely impressed with what he got from the A7III straight out of camera.

SLOG2 with Geoff’s GFILM is also one I’d highly recommend trying out for great colour and a decent amount of DR.

46 minutes ago, jonpais said:

A comparison I just watched on YT suggests the Sigma 50mm FE mount has slower video AF-C than Zeiss. 

This maybe right if you are comparing the Zeiss 55 1.8 to the Sigma 50 1.4.

However if you feel that the autofocus response is too slow on the Sigma 50 1.4, you might need to change/play with some of the default Sony settings.

In particular...

Menu 1 (6/14) 1 setting

Menu 2  (2/9) 2 settings