Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just ordered mine; apparently it'll take at least 3 weeks to get here. Yikes. :grimace:  When it does, I'll let you guys know in case there's any tests you want done. Definitely going to line it up against my buddies' A7S II and GH5 for reference, as well as the F3 to see if it can match it for gimbal/crane/overhead shots.

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

I'm going to post about after market batteries as well as over heating.  My A7III overheats after 1hr straight full frame 4K recording indoors.  Checked YT and there's 4 other videos about it.  

Not a single reviewer who attended the launch and subsequently did a review mentioned overheating afaik. Or rather, they tested the camera and found it did not overheat. Are you using original batteries?

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I'm going to post about after market batteries as well as over heating.  My A7III overheats after 1hr straight full frame 4K recording indoors.  Checked YT and there's 4 other videos about it.  

I'm very interested in this.  The A7III is very high on my list right now, but I live in Australia and need something that will be reliable in up to 40degC / 104degF in full sunlight.  I've had my iPhone 8 overheat while shooting before which isn't a widely encountered problem in the northern hemisphere.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Not a single reviewer who attended the launch and subsequently did a review mentioned overheating afaik. Or rather, they tested the camera and found it did not overheat. Are you using original batteries?

You can search YT for yourself and see the tests and videos...

6 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Jon, maybe take some time out from the forum.

I merely asked scotchtape if he was using original batteries. I don’t see why I should have to search through YT when I’ve already seen half a dozen reviews. What’s your point?

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

I merely asked scotchtape if he was using original batteries. I don’t see why I should have to search through YT when I’ve already seen half a dozen reviews. What’s your point?

You seem to be picking fights with everyone since that debacle with someone calling you out rudely a few weeks back, that's all. I can't remember this place ever being as nasty as this and it becomes a slog to read through – it's not only you, though.

2 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

You seem to be picking fights with everyone since that debacle with someone calling you out rudely a few weeks back, that's all. I can't remember this place ever being as nasty as this and it becomes a slog to read through – it's not only you, though.

If asking whether scotchtape is using Sony batteries and stating a fact that dozens of reviewers who attended the Sony event who later uploaded reviews saying there was no overheating is picking a fight, I really can’t help you.

I haven't heard from the "big" reviewers about the bottom pixel issue either yet it appears pretty widespread. Most of those youtubers at the sony event aren't even videographers.  Quite possible they didn't stress the camera under harsh enough conditions. Not to mention the A73 launch was in (winter) february and we're now almost summer. Regardless there are indeed overheating reports on YT. This dude shows shut down at 25mn under 30degC:

@kye i'd probably avoid if planning to shoot 4K outdoors in OZ heat!

19 hours ago, Django said:

I haven't heard from the "big" reviewers about the bottom pixel issue either yet it appears pretty widespread. Most of those youtubers at the sony event aren't even videographers.  Quite possible they didn't stress the camera under harsh enough conditions. Not to mention the A73 launch was in (winter) february and we're now almost summer. Regardless there are indeed overheating reports on YT. This dude shows shut down at 25mn under 30degC:

@kye i'd probably avoid if planning to shoot 4K outdoors in OZ heat!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the pixel issue was fixed with the last update.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Bit the bullet. ?

To replace the GH5, or for different purposes?

I'm leaning towards one as well.  That is, assuming Canon (or others) don't pull a rabbit out of a hat later this year.

52 minutes ago, kye said:

To replace the GH5, or for different purposes?

I'm leaning towards one as well.  That is, assuming Canon (or others) don't pull a rabbit out of a hat later this year.

I really need reliable AF-C, and good low light performance wouldn’t hurt either. If Sigma hadn’t come out with their  e mount Art lenses, I probably would’ve held off though - the G Masters are just too rich for my blood. 

I’m not getting rid of the GH5 any time soon, I still like the image quality I’m seeing.