Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpais What would you like to see in comparison shots?

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Somebody who knows what the hell they’re doing.

I'll actually echo jonpais on this one. Most of those shots are harsh direct lighting and the white balance was off on the Fuji.

So my methodology for a skintone comparison would be:

Use various models with various ethnicities.

Standard profile comparison (Fuji Provia vs Sony Standard or perhaps one of the Cine profiles).

Once with auto WB and again with manual WB (using one of these)

Using Fuji 35mm f1.8 and Sony FE 50mm f1.8

In a variety of locations with different lighting.

I think I would also do more takes using Sony's other profiles; SLOG2, SLOG3 and HLG.

The objective of this comparison would be to get enough data in order to gauge the differences between the various profiles and make LUTs to match them to the best looking one. 

Does that seem right?

yeah.. try and shoot artificial / mixed lighting, that's where the sony usually starts to get confused & struggles.

what i see from that test and others is that the sony picks up a lot of detail, more so than fuji.. but at closeups any skin imperfection really pops out in an ugly way, you can see it in that video, the girl looks all blotchy red like she's got allergy attack on the sony side while the fuji looks more uniform/normal.

also i think you mean Fuji 35mm f1.4? ;) 

1 hour ago, Django said:

yeah.. try and shoot artificial / mixed lighting, that's where the sony usually starts to get confused & struggles.

what i see from that test and others is that the sony picks up a lot of detail, more so than fuji.. but at closeups any skin imperfection really pops out in an ugly way, you can see it in that video, the girl looks all blotchy red like she's got allergy attack on the sony side while the fuji looks more uniform/normal.

also i think you mean Fuji 35mm f1.4? ;) 

Yeh I meant the f1.4. BTW my Sony 50mm FE just arrived today. I was afraid it would be slower and louder than that Fuji lens but its actually the opposite.

I don't have a Fuji camera anymore BTW but I still have the lens. I'd have to rent the camera to do the test... might see if I can raise some funds for it

Just shot some A7III + Sony 16-35mm  footage.  Major warping at the edges @16mm going on with IBIS on my gimbal, especially when walking fowards/backwards or trying to hold the camera still.  Panning from side to side looks relatively ok, as does tilting up and down.

I'll try shooting with the 10-18mm in aps-c mode next time instead (except that lens is so light I can't balance it).

I was using a Crane V2 which couldn't really handle the weight so maybe that contributed as well, but still, the warping was pretty weird.

I read in one of the reviews of the 24-105mm f4 lens that it doesn't allow for Eye Focus.

Apparently Sony has small issues with lenses and bodies which it doesn't disclose as much as it should.

5 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Just shot some A7III + Sony 16-35mm  footage.  Major warping at the edges @16mm going on with IBIS on my gimbal, especially when walking fowards/backwards or trying to hold the camera still.  Panning from side to side looks relatively ok, as does tilting up and down.

Maybe you could shoot it in Full frame and APSC Crop mode and see if it is prevalent in both shooting formats. 

24 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I read in one of the reviews of the 24-105mm f4 lens that it doesn't allow for Eye Focus.

I have the 24-105 f4 - zero problems with eye-focus

Apparently Sony has small issues with lenses and bodies which it doesn't disclose as much as it should.

The one 'problem' I find with Sony native lenses is that ibis works better with lenses with OIS than lenses without in terms of video use.

3 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I have the 24-105 f4 - zero problems with eye-focus

Interesting. I thoght I read otherwise on B&H or Amazon. Maybe the buyer was confused. Thanks for confirming.

4 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

The one 'problem' I find with Sony native lenses is that ibis works better with lenses with OIS than lenses without in terms of video use.

Yes, it's similar to what's with Panasonic's dual IS tech, though Panasonic stabilization is in a completely different league. I hope the A7iii APS-C Crop mode improves stabilization better. I hope Sony introduce something like the GH5's Stabilization IS mode where handheld shots look like those on a Tripod. That would be amazing. 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

I do want to stress again that the S-log 3 in this camera is actually usable. My A7rII's log files were extremely noisy, A7III is pretty damn clean up until 3200 iso. 

S-log 3 edited_1.3.1.jpg

OT: don’t you live by the coast? Is this place inland? Either way, what an amazing location for a film!!!

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Look at the mountains top right @ 8s in.  (Location scouting for personal timelapse project)

No grade

Can't wait for Ronin-S (hopefully it's good)

This looks very much like gimbal micro-vibrations interacting with the internal IBIS.  I've experienced similar things on my PilotFly gimbals with various Sony cameras.  In my experience when it interacts with IBIS you get that kind of warping/jello effect as the IBIS is trying to adjust for the gimbal's extremely quick micro-vibration.  My guess is that it's the combination of the super fast sensor movement combined with the rolling shutter that creates the warping/distortion of the image.

I'm not familiar with the Crane software but if there's any kind of diagnostic mode where you can see a graph of the gimbal's movement you might be able to confirm that these moments are ones where the gimbal is doing a lot of vibration correction.  You could also try disabling IBIS (and cranking up your shutter speed to eliminate any motion blur) to see if you can then see the gimbal movement more clearly.

5 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I do want to stress again that the S-log 3 in this camera is actually usable

Are you shooting 2 stops over as I've seen suggested around the internet? Also are you testing this in Super-35 mode of FF? 

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Is there some way to get this camera to record video clips into the same folder as stills and name them sequentially with the stills?

Every Sony I've owned always has those goofy folder structures, DCIM -> 100MSDCF for stills and PRIVATE -> M4ROOT -> CLIP for video. F-in' stupid.

7 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Look at the mountains top right @ 8s in.  (Location scouting for personal timelapse project)

No grade

Can't wait for Ronin-S (hopefully it's good)

Nice looking image outside of the warping. Yikes.

Chris

51 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Every Sony I've owned always has those goofy folder structures, DCIM -> 100MSDCF for stills and PRIVATE -> M4ROOT -> CLIP for video. F-in' stupid.

Even more idiotic is that the cameras reset the clip names (back to 0001) with each SD card (and this cant be changed unlike with stills where the number can be sequential.)