Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

It’s not the camera - that’s just how people walk in Japan.

This is what Sony engineers call "Japanese walk phenomenon". No need to fix phenomenons...

15 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Great lateral thinking by the guy who came up with the workaround but I'm now wondering if the best fix for these issues is to set my own calendar into the future and buy the mark IV version of it.

This! We could call this kind of anti-consumerism "Global Sony re-mapping" (GSR)...Many first movers would get into trouble, if refusing immediate buy....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

synonymous !!

both Greek words, the second means 

1.  having the same meaning as another word or phrase in the same language.

2. closely associated with or suggestive of something.

synchronous means 

1. occurring at the same time; coinciding in time; contemporaneous;simultaneous.

2. going on at the same rate and exactly together; recurring together.

30 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

I'm making my own test right now.

4k 25p 100m

Room temperature at 25 °C - Auto Pwr OFF Temp  set to High

What the "Temp set to High" means? what is the "High" value? 99 degrees C? what other options do they have?

Half an hour on 4K continuous recording is fine I guess, this is not a video camera, it is just a hybrid. Do not forget that Panasonic made the GH5 cameras bigger than full frame dSLRs to accommodate bigger heat sinks and whatnot. If you want a video camera on a hybrid body, then the Panasonic's will be the top choices for the foreseeable future.

53 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Ok, so here we go :

My only battery had 66% left, so I could only record 1 hour and 50mn.

The temp in my room was 21/22 °C

Results : NO OVERHEATING AT ALL :grin: Neither warning sign.

Of course, results under the sun might be different, but I'm quite satisfied.

I'll do a longer test with a powerbank later.

Good to hear! 

How much continuous video in 1080 and 4K the Sony can record? Battery life seems great too, nothing like mkII bodies used to be.

Just now, Django said:

@Alex Uzan did you replicate the exact shooting conditions as the YT video? 4K 25p 100mb with AF-C, IBIS and Face tracking on

I also tested this last night. I set up the camera on a table, 4k 25p 100mb AF-C, IBIS and Face tracking, and the camera barely got warm after 30 minutes. It's strange because today I shot with it for five minutes with the exact same settings and it got very warm, no warning signs but a significant difference. Weird.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-III-versus-Sony-A7R-III-versus-Sony-a9___1236_1187_1162

BTW the DXOmark numbers have been released on the A7iii. 

There are no surprises but they are impressive - they are well within spitting distance of the A7riii and the D850.

The question is where does this leave an A7siii?

I know absolutely nothing but I am pretty skeptical we are going to see one soon...

1) Just looking at the numbers there seems no real justification for a 12mp sensor for US$3,000 - the delta on the lowlight performance I think would simply be too low to make it worthwhile simply because the A7iii at US$2,000 is so good....

2) Of course, there is still room for internal 10 bit recording and/or say 4k/60 but I am not convinced given all the overheating problems that Sony (and actually pretty much everyone else has had) in recent years, that Sony can provide that with a FF sensor....

3) There is perhaps the potential to take the A9 sensor and its insanely good sensor readout of data to make a video cam with next to no rolling shutter but as we didnt see that with the A9, I kinda doubt it....

21 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

2) Of course, there is still room for internal 10 bit recording and/or say 4k/60 but I am not convinced given all the overheating problems that Sony (and actually pretty much everyone else has had) in recent years, that Sony can provide that with a FF sensor...

I agree. If Sony has overheating problems with 8-bit, 30p it's hard to believe they will be able to provide 10-bit anything without problems unless they go to a larger form factor with better heat sink ability.