Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

21 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Actually I have much worse experience with dust & DSLRs than I had with mirrorless. Most people don't realize that dust enters the space between the mount and the sensor no matter whether there is a mirror or not. These dust particles will then go on the sensor and in the case of DSLRs can also go to the mirror, the ground glass &  the AF sensor. Cleaning the DSLR is NO FUN and very hard to do when not on top of a clean desk. The flange distance has nothing to do with the dust or any harm to the sensor, if anything it makes cleaning it much easier. You can easily spot the dust particles and remove them with the tip of a cleaning cloth in a matter of seconds while hand holding the camera. No way you can do that with the DSLR. This whole argument sounds like it is coming from people with very little experience with both systems. If people actually searched around they would find that this is a myth and actual users report the opposite.

Here is an example: https://photographylife.com/mirrorless-vs-dslr

"Movement of Air: as the mirror flips up and down, it moves plenty of air inside the camera chamber. And with air, it also moves dust and other debris around, which eventually ends up on the camera sensor. Some people argue that their DSLR cameras are better suited for changing lenses than mirrorless cameras, because there is a mirror between the sensor and the mount. There might be some truth to that. However, what happens with that dust after the mirror moves inside the chamber? All that dust will obviously circulate inside the chamber. In my experience shooting with a number of different mirrorless cameras, I found them to be actually less prone to dust than any of my DSLRs."

That is my experience as well and I have been using these systems for years. 

Never had serious problems with dust with my m4/3 - but I'm an amateur almost using the cameras in run and gun, and always can kind of protect the open mount when changing lenses, guess it is not so easy to do it in rigged cameras.

But I've always asked myself why mirrorless manufacturers do not implement a function (that could be assigned to a button, for example) that closes the shutter when you wish to change lenses. Maybe they are afraid of shutter blades damaging?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

NBut I've always asked myself why mirrorless manufacturers do not implement a function (that could be assigned to a button, for example) that closes the shutter when you wish to change lenses. Maybe they are afraid of shutter blades damaging?

Whole lot cheaper to clean a Sensor than replace a shutter. It is scary close to the opening.

40 minutes ago, Django said:

anyone know if/how eye AF works in video mode? i keep getting an invalid program mode message when i try using it. 

feature is pretty stunning for stills.

Unfortunately eye AF only works for stills, but face-detection has been impeccable so far for me in video mode, both with the A7rIII and the AIII.

23 minutes ago, Django said:

@Attila Bakos yea the problem has already been mentioned here.. and yes the production copy we have at our office also presents the issue. epic fail from Sony imo..

Yeah, epic fail. It took all of one minute to fix the issue. Let's not be drama queens.

Evidently a firmware issue, not the sensor.

4 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

That was fast. If that's a true fix, that's one of the weirdest I've ever seen.

Actually this is a pretty old fix for dead/faulty pixels on a Sony sensor. Basically any sensor will have a number of bad/dead pixels. I believe that QC limits the number to 1:10,000 (or something like that.) What the camera does when it sees a dead pixel is interpolate it.

What happens if you set the date well ahead of the actual date is that the camera searches for dead pixels and then remaps the sensor for any new dead pixels by interpolating any dead pixels it finds.

1 minute ago, Robert Collins said:

Actually this is a pretty old fix for dead/faulty pixels on a Sony sensor. Basically any sensor will have a number of bad/dead pixels. I believe that QC limits the number to 1:10,000 (or something like that.) What the camera does when it sees a dead pixel is interpolate it.

What happens if you set the date well ahead of the actual date is that the camera searches for dead pixels and then remaps the sensor for any new dead pixels by interpolating any dead pixels it finds.

Oh I didn't know you have to do this procedure for a pixel remapping. On my X-T2 there was a menu called pixel mapping, so it was kinda obvious.

5 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

And has that been found to be just a temporary fix or long lasting? Because it looks like a lot more than just one pixel. It's a small regular row, not a small speck.

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Yeah, epic fail. It took all of one minute to fix the issue. Let's not be drama queens.

Evidently a firmware issue, not the sensor.

drama queen ?!!! not everyone buys these cameras to shoot ladies at the train station.. some of us actually count on these for commercial work.

we've had at least 2 days of footage affected by this issue..

oh and yeah it appears it is a sensor issue!!

anyways kudos to the youtuber for the "fix".. still blows my mind this wasn't flagged by Sony QC.

..even more so if this is an old bug. I mean they're on their third generation here.. SMH

Just now, Attila Bakos said:

Oh I didn't know you have to do this procedure for a pixel remapping. On my X-T2 there was a menu called pixel mapping, so it was kinda obvious.

Yes, the same with the Olympus EM1 I had - there was a 'menu item' for 'pixel remapping'. Sony obviously thought they already had enough menu items, so they would make it even more complicated....

1 minute ago, Django said:

drama queen ?!!! not everyone buys these cameras to shoot ladies at the train station.. some of us actually count on these for commercial work.

we've had at least 2 days of footage affected by this issue..

oh and yeah it appears it is a sensor issue!!

anyways kudos to the youtuber for the "fix".. still blows my mind this wasn't flagged by Sony QC.

..even more so if this is an old bug. I mean they're on their third generation here.. SMH

whatever mr superman.

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

And has that been found to be just a temporary fix or long lasting? Because it looks like a lot more than just one pixel. It's a small regular row, not a small speck.

Well inherently pixel interpolation is a 'fudge' more than a 'fix' but camera companies are pretty good at it.....

I would also imagine that if there were a significant number of bad pixels, you could have the camera/sensor replaced under warranty.

Just now, Robert Collins said:

Well inherently pixel interpolation is a 'fudge' more than a 'fix' but camera companies are pretty good at it.....

Unfortunately it doesn't work all the time. I had only one hot pixel on my X-T2, but I could not remove it with the built in remapping function. Tried it multiple times.

Looking at Google images, all the dead pixel pictures are a single dot. I can't find any with a row of rainbow colors. A stuck pixel wouldn't appear like that I don't believe. Apparently, Sony cameras do pixel re-mapping once a month. What the fix does is accelerate the process, if it is indeed hot pixels.

23 minutes ago, jonpais said:

whatever mr superman.

I'm just an actual user here reporting a potentially serious issue that seems to be affecting a large amount of units. this isn't a $200 phone, it's a $2000 camera. and the 'date trick' seems indeed a fudge not a fix. why you feel the need to downplay the situation or call me a drama queen is beyond me but clearly there seems to be an aggressive pattern from you insulting anyone that disagrees with your opinion on a product or camera brand.