Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 13/03/2018 at 6:19 AM, Don Kotlos said:

FYI Sony has included barcoding within the video of A7III. 

At least three examples have it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUHz9KucF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJXM0T1otdc&t=42s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zvL8jlhag&t=34s

I wouldn't rush to buy this camera until these issues have been fixed with some updated firmware. Who knows maybe the shipped camera does not have this. 

I was unable to see it. Was it perhaps due to the camera units being review units? To prevent then from being stolen (either the cameras or the videos) perhaps? 

4 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I was unable to see it. Was it perhaps due to the camera units being review units? To prevent then from being stolen (either the cameras or the videos) perhaps? 

Irony doesn't translate well to Internet forums. "Barcoding" was dark humor. It's widely reported in various forums that the camera has issues with flashing pixels both in video and stills.

11 hours ago, cantsin said:

Irony doesn't translate well to Internet forums. "Barcoding" was dark humor. It's widely reported in various forums that the camera has issues with flashing pixels both in video and stills.

Hahaha. I never get the obvious. Maybe it helps that I didn't read any reviews that said that there any issues with photo and video.

I wonder if they could do a 200mbps 4-2-2 8-bit codec too. I am guessing this could handle it internally. And if these cameras were tested in the desert, I am sure heat may not be an issue. 

Just picked up my A7III and can confirm the flickering barcode artifacts when recording in full frame 4k. Oddly enough they don't appear in the S35 mode. Will return it tomorrow. It seems to be easily fixable with firmware though. It's a shame because the image is lovely otherwise and the camera feels snappy and responsive, autofocus is great.

41 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

Just picked up my A7III and can confirm the flickering barcode artifacts when recording in full frame 4k. Oddly enough they don't appear in the S35 mode. Will return it tomorrow. It seems to be easily fixable with firmware though. It's a shame because the image is lovely otherwise and the camera feels snappy and responsive, autofocus is great.

Thanks, now I can take one thing out of the possible scenaria 

1) Use the barcode to identify early leaks 

2) They realized what a monster they created and intentionally crippled it to save A9, A7riii & A7sII

3) Sony f*cked up. 

4) Fuji did it. 

9 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Some videos don't have it though, so I guess it's just luck in terms of what camera you get?  Or did the reviewers just get super copies...

I guess so, will try out a new body tomorrow in the store before I buy it, but I suspect there are a lot of units affected, unfortunately. Will keep you posted. It’s infuriating though with such a major fuck up.

18 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I have it preordered :( We get it a month after you guys though.  At least an easy band-aid is scale 101%

Got a new body, this one without the artifacts, so it seems to be a hit or miss thing once again. Hopefully Sony will get out a firmware fix asap.

On 28/2/2561 at 1:04 AM, Emanuel said:

To you and everyone who cares about the minimum requirements I believe:

image.png.5525c95791d317730b216720237f7c59.png

I've never noticed that with Panasonic or am I only a happy camper from unrelated shooting style?

panasonic anti on-sensor PDAF that you win LOL.

i think panasonic careful about new AF(on new GH) may they use 2 sensor in camera 1peice is image sensor others is PD sensor same as old DSLR.

* (secret source)

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Interesting Vlogger. Interesting other website this guy has. He is comparing the Sony A7 mk III Price wise to other cameras, even other A7xx ones..

Sensible stuff I guess. But, personally, I dont think a lot will change.

Yes the Sony bodies (especially the A7iii) look great value when compared to their nearest competitors. But you still get bitten by the lenses one way or another - either expensive native lenses or adapters/reduced performance.

I suspect the 6Dii and 5D mkiv prices will come down but that is because noone will buy them if they dont rather than they will switch to Sony.