Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Both batteries are in the grip. For some strange reason sony uses a fancy connection that is located inside the battery compartment of the camera. My guess is that there is no space left on the bottom of the body . There is no space even for weather sealing :)

Actually that is the way canon does it.  Two batteries in the grip connected through the battery compartment.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah battery life is definitely not a problem with the new Z batteries. 3 of them would be enough to finish a short :).

But I still prefer the Fuji/Nikon solution mainly because it is far easier to remove the grip without having to take the battery holder out of the grip, remove one battery, stick it into the camera, remove the battery door from the grip & attach it to the camera. And then do all that to put the grip back on. I don't take the grip off that often but it is a fairly involved process. 

I'm on the fence with this one.

Personally, I'm disappointed by the lower spec EVF, the a7r2 is abysmal - for me - when trying to MF after punching in. Manually focusing with the r2 is at times a guessing game. The low spec LCD isn't any help either. My XT2 is better, despite having a similar resolution EVF. But the a73 certainly ticks a lot of boxes, including the -3ev AF, the wide AF coverage, full readout 4k and the bigger battery - which is a big plus compared to the Fuji side since its AF coverage is only 40% of the frame, 4k crops and they have a smaller battery. I was all set to go Fuji and liquidate my Sony gear, but the recent Sigma/Tamron/Tokina/Samyang announcements give me pause since the E-mount is the only mirrorless system with significant 3rd party AF lens support and Sony has really upped the AF specs in the a73. There just seems to be more momentum with Sony than anyone else - including CaNikon.

Its always tough choosing between the option with the warts you can live with. The a7r3 EVF would likely make this an instant buy for me, but now I need to try one before deciding so I can see what the EV looks like when punching in. AF improvements could negate some of the frustrations with the EVF since I mostly shoot with native lenses. I still can't believe the low spec, half-arsed touch LCD either (but this is industry-wide, not just Sony), much worse than 3-year-old cell phones. Why people constantly bitch about batteries and exposure comp dials while completely ignoring bigger/better LCD's on $2000 cameras is a mystery to me.

Chris

15 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm on the fence with this one.

Personally, I'm disappointed by the lower spec EVF, the a7r2 is abysmal - for me - when trying to MF after punching in. Manually focusing with the r2 is at times a guessing game. The low spec LCD isn't any help either. My XT2 is better, despite having a similar resolution EVF. But the a73 certainly ticks a lot of boxes, including the -3ev AF, the wide AF coverage, full readout 4k and the bigger battery - which is a big plus compared to the Fuji side since its AF coverage is only 40% of the frame, 4k crops and they have a smaller battery. I was all set to go Fuji and liquidate my Sony gear, but the recent Sigma/Tamron/Tokina/Samyang announcements give me pause since the E-mount is the only mirrorless system with significant 3rd party AF lens support and Sony has really upped the AF specs in the a73. There just seems to be more momentum with Sony than anyone else - including CaNikon.

Its always tough choosing between the option with the warts you can live with. The a7r3 EVF would likely make this an instant buy for me, but now I need to try one before deciding so I can see what the EV looks like when punching in. AF improvements could negate some of the frustrations with the EVF since I mostly shoot with native lenses. I still can't believe the low spec, half-arsed touch LCD either (but this is industry-wide, not just Sony), much worse than 3-year-old cell phones. Why people constantly bitch about batteries and exposure comp dials while completely ignoring bigger/better LCD's on $2000 cameras is a mystery to me.

Chris

Keep in mind that the A7r II dims when recording video, the A7 III does not. This might make it much easier and the punch in might be cleaner.

10 minutes ago, Hitfabryk said:

Are you sure of that? Mine does not

If you don't use "Sunny weather" then it does not :)  This is how I was using it as well in order not to be annoyed every-time I started recording. In sunny weather the new non-dimmable screens are actually really useful. 

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Keep in mind that the A7r II dims when recording video, the A7 III does not. This might make it much easier and the punch in might be cleaner.

When you go into full magnification the IQ of the EVF degrades significantly - its so grainy its pretty much useless for me. Its much better with the 3.69mp EVF used in the a7r3/a9 and likely the XH1 (haven't seen it yet to confirm, but reports are its sharp when punched in). My workaround is to try and find an edge and look for the pixels to get more jagged, fire a still and check focus. I usually have to tweak focus a couple times before getting it perfect. It obviously doesn't work on the fly and its much worse at night. I wish the parts were easy to swap, like components on a mountain bike.

I'm trying to avoid an external monitor, but my eyesight has faded ever so slightly, so I now need glasses to read. For me the EVF is vital for my work. 

Chris

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Does anyone know when this camera will hit UK stores?

Park Cameras and Camera World both quote 14th of March on their websites.

So, Wednesday apparently but I suppose people with pre-orders might have had an email if that is the case.

In my experience, the kit lens bundles are generally available on the launch date but body only mysteriously stay in short supply for ages......

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/7014826K/mirrorless-cameras/sony/a7-iii-full-frame-mirrorless-digital-camera-body

If you are near Birmingham next week, I expect the photo show at the NEC might be a chance to get your hands on one and - if it actually is out on Wednesday - possibly jump the next order queue as all the major dealers are there flogging stuff. 

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 12:39 PM, Don Kotlos said:

The only thing that this picture "proves" (coupled with your comment) is your bias towards women. 

I suggest you take the Gender-Career implicit association test found here: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

I don't have bias towards women, I understand the sorts of issues they have with equipment like that since my hands are small as well. Fact is, that equipment in the picture is unsuited and ergonomically poorly designed for the person holding it. She would have a better, steadier hold on the system as a whole with a smaller camera body.

Not to mention the camo on the lens, lol. Little doubt who that lens was made for, a certain type of individual.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 2:02 PM, Django said:

i know quite a few female fotogs and fwiw they're all on Canikon DSLRs.

In the fashion street photography scene (big industry here in Paris) it's almost all Canon 5Ds / 1DXs. requirements are battery life, weather sealing & SOOC skin tones.

Weather sealing because sometimes you're out on the street for hours shooting during downpour, SOOC skin tones because it's a race to get pics online and subjects must look good.

Sony have improved battery life & ergonomics but weather sealing, color science & menus are still poor. IMO they mostly cater to enthusiasts, semi-pros & general fields. 

few examples:

846caf1dc09db1a620f004d3a7c0e5b4.jpg Paris+Fashion+Week+Street+Style+Candice+ Street-Style-Photographers-Instagram.jpgstreet-style-photographers-most-influent

..and no these aren't posers but actual pros who earn up to $5K-$10K during each fashion week (which if they travel is 12 events per year).

so much for the poor old fat second-class citizen comment..

That would be because in order to use the big fast native glass, you are pretty much limited to those giant bodies as well. It is not an endorsement of the body, it is a case of working with what you have to in order to use the glass you need no matter who impractical the body is. I am pretty sure that most of those photographers would prefer a smaller body more suited to their hand size, if Canikon actually made something like that, but they don't. All of their FF offerings are enormous, without exception. 

But, when Canikon eventually get into the FF MILC game, expect to see camera bodies designed around ergonomics more broadly suitable than what the convention is with their DSLR offerings. They will probably have bodies similar in general dimensions to the a7/a9 cameras.

In any case, to be taken seriously as a photographer you still have to fit the conventions of what a photographer looks like (and that includes the equipment you are holding), no matter how inconvenient and unsuitable it might be. I am sure that people doing video experience the same sort of professional bias as well, as most of you have probably experienced at some point. Coming to a shoot with equipment that does not "look the part" tends to not always go down well with your clients.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

That would be because in order to use the big fast native glass, you are pretty much limited to those giant bodies as well. It is not an endorsement of the body, it is a case of working with what you have to in order to use the glass you need no matter who impractical the body is. I am pretty sure that most of those photographers would prefer a smaller body more suited to their hand size, if Canikon actually made something like that, but they don't. All of their FF offerings are enormous, without exception. 

But, when Canikon eventually get into the FF MILC game, expect to see camera bodies designed around ergonomics more broadly suitable than what the convention is with their DSLR offerings. They will probably have bodies similar in general dimensions to the a7/a9 cameras.

In any case, to be taken seriously as a photographer you still have to fit the conventions of what a photographer looks like (and that includes the equipment you are holding), no matter how inconvenient and unsuitable it might be. I am sure that people doing video experience the same sort of professional bias as well, as most of you have probably experienced at some point. Coming to a shoot with equipment that does not "look the part" tends to not always go down well with your clients.

Of course if you own a vast Canon L glass collection or Nikkors, then there is a good chance you are going to stick with Canikon but that argument isn't definitive.

Sony offer "fast native glass" for their FF bodies.. and smart adapters exist, yet a lot of pros remain on DSLR's or even switch back to them after being disappointed with mirrorless experience.

Poor ergonomics, battery life, weather sealing, blackout times,  weak EVFs (vs OVFs), weak AF, lack of native speedlights etc.. so many reasons why pros still cling on to DSLRs.

Sony have been tackling some of these issues through their third generation FF MILCs... but how many years will it take Canikon to get there when they finally do decide to step into the game?

As for your final point of "looking the part" for clients, yes there is some truth to that although i personally don't worry about it any more, i let the results do the speaking and i feel most creative on MILCs wether for stills or video.. that being said DSLRs aren't going anywhere just yet and still provide strong advantages for certain requirements.

So in the end i'd say it is MILC bodies that still have some work to do if they are to seriously compete with DSLRs/Cine cams. I wanna see more rugged bodies with hybrid EVF/OVFs, and better flash support for stills and 10-bit, Raw, Dual-pixel level AF, electronic ND's for video. It'll take a couple more years/body generations for that though i suspect..

FYI Sony has included barcoding within the video of A7III. 

At least three examples have it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUHz9KucF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJXM0T1otdc&t=42s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zvL8jlhag&t=34s

I wouldn't rush to buy this camera until these issues have been fixed with some updated firmware. Who knows maybe the shipped camera does not have this. 

4 hours ago, Django said:

So in the end i'd say it is MILC bodies that still have some work to do if they are to seriously compete with DSLRs/Cine cams. I wanna see more rugged bodies with hybrid EVF/OVFs, and better flash support for stills and 10-bit, Raw, Dual-pixel level AF, electronic ND's for video. It'll take a couple more years/body generations for that though i suspect..

I dont really see flash support as much of an issue for MILCs. Godox has the largest range of flashes of any manufacturer with power from 35w speedlights all the way up to 1200w. Cordless/li-on battery speedlights even batteries cross compatible with their LEDs. They offer TTL/HSS across the board for M43, Fuji and Sony as well as Nikon and Canon. Their prices are pretty friendly too.

GODOX_SYSTEM_1e640_b.thumb.jpg.d80b7d3e9b86e7b7d964418ebbebbb0d.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Don Kotlos said:

FYI Sony has included barcoding within the video of A7III. 

At least three examples have it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUHz9KucF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJXM0T1otdc&t=42s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zvL8jlhag&t=34s

I wouldn't rush to buy this camera until these issues have been fixed with some updated firmware. Who knows maybe the shipped camera does not have this. 

looks really bad 

no rush to get this one