Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

34 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Lol, that picture pretty much proves my point. That is equipment which clearly is designed for a different sort of person than the individual holding it.

The only thing that this picture "proves" (coupled with your comment) is your bias towards women. 

I suggest you take the Gender-Career implicit association test found here: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i know quite a few female fotogs and fwiw they're all on Canikon DSLRs.

In the fashion street photography scene (big industry here in Paris) it's almost all Canon 5Ds / 1DXs. requirements are battery life, weather sealing & SOOC skin tones.

Weather sealing because sometimes you're out on the street for hours shooting during downpour, SOOC skin tones because it's a race to get pics online and subjects must look good.

Sony have improved battery life & ergonomics but weather sealing, color science & menus are still poor. IMO they mostly cater to enthusiasts, semi-pros & general fields. 

few examples:

846caf1dc09db1a620f004d3a7c0e5b4.jpg Paris+Fashion+Week+Street+Style+Candice+ Street-Style-Photographers-Instagram.jpgstreet-style-photographers-most-influent

..and no these aren't posers but actual pros who earn up to $5K-$10K during each fashion week (which if they travel is 12 events per year).

so much for the poor old fat second-class citizen comment..

7 hours ago, Django said:

i know quite a few female fotogs and fwiw they're all on Canikon DSLRs.

In the fashion street photography scene (big industry here in Paris) it's almost all Canon 5Ds / 1DXs. requirements are battery life, weather sealing & SOOC skin tones.

Weather sealing because sometimes you're out on the street for hours shooting during downpour, SOOC skin tones because it's a race to get pics online and subjects must look good.

Sony have improved battery life & ergonomics but weather sealing, color science & menus are still poor. IMO they mostly cater to enthusiasts, semi-pros & general fields. 

few examples:

846caf1dc09db1a620f004d3a7c0e5b4.jpg Paris+Fashion+Week+Street+Style+Candice+ Street-Style-Photographers-Instagram.jpgstreet-style-photographers-most-influent

..and no these aren't posers but actual pros who earn up to $5K-$10K during each fashion week (which if they travel is 12 events per year).

so much for the poor old fat second-class citizen comment..

Are you really saying that the typical pro photographer is a glamorous female earning big bucks?

My comments were based on the BLS data on photographers... (the fat bit was for effect ;))

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes274021.htm

The figures show that the 'annual mean wage' of a professional photographer is US$42k and that only 10% of professional photographers in the US earn over US$76k a year.

This might not seem too bad to you - it is 10% above the national mean wage. However, professional photographers are generally well educated with a high percentage holding a university degree. 

5 hours ago, gethin said:

the camera store TV video guy (I quite like him, he always seems a bit uncomfortable in front of the camera), was bitching about the quality of the viewfinder.  anyone else heared anything?

Jordon Drake is the tall, seemingly uncomfortably in front of the camera guy. The other guy is Chris Niccolls, who has enough hair gel/ hair wax for a an entire village. They actually do a superb job with their reviews.

Jordon implied that the viewfinder had major issues, but as Chris pointed out, he probably exaggerated the claims. They have improved it majorly, even if it isn't in GH5/G6 territory.  

3 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Jordon Drake is the tall, seemingly uncomfortably in front of the camera guy. The other guy is Chris Niccolls, who has enough hair gel/ hair wax for a an entire village. They actually do a superb job with their reviews.

Jordon implied that the viewfinder had major issues, but as Chris pointed out, he probably exaggerated the claims. They have improved it majorly, even if it isn't in GH5/G6 territory.  

The viewfinder is the same as such cameras as the A7ii or A7rii. With the A7riii and A9 there is an upgraded viewfinder which appears larger and has many more mega-pixels.

It is clearly an area that Sony decided to save some bucks in order to meet the US$2k price point. I have both an A7rii and an A7riii - I honestly dont really notice the difference but, then again, I am not often punching in focus for video...

3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Are you really saying that the typical pro photographer is a glamorous female earning big bucks?

My comments were based on the BLS data on photographers... (the fat bit was for effect ;))

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes274021.htm

The figures show that the 'annual mean wage' of a professional photographer is US$42k and that only 10% of professional photographers in the US earn over US$76k a year.

This might not seem too bad to you - it is 10% above the national mean wage. However, professional photographers are generally well educated with a high percentage holding a university degree. 

These stats don't mean much to me, I'm based in Europe and am only talking about the scene I'm familiar with which happens to be (high) fashion: a $2.4 trillion industry ranked world's seventh largest economy.

So what if 'glamorous females earning big bucks' only represent perhaps a tiny percent of pro photographers. it's a tier that matters and appeals to camera brands, similarly to what  @BTM_Pix was saying about the importance of (camera) brand exposure at major sporting events. There is a reason why there is always a promo with fashion photographers during releases of pro cameras. And then there is the trickle-down effect, the amateur/enthusiast who wants to be associated with the camera brand/model used by pros. it's a vertical top-bottom business model where upper-class influences the lower.

It's like Fender make their money off non-domestic guitar sales because average Joe musician wants to copy his favorite rock idol, even though he can't afford a $4K custom made in USA. But Fender would be dead if they didn't make pro models for pro musicians.. as pros would jump to another guitar maker and so would Joe.

Same thing in Fashion.. ateliers spend months on a runway show displaying dresses only a happy few in the world can afford. in reality, dresses end up being rented by Hollywood actor stylists to be worn during red carpet events. All of this so your mother, sister, wife/gf can go buy $50 Dior/Prada/YSL perfume at the local beauty store. Cosmetics being the main department making revenue for these big fashion houses (sunglasses & accessories then follow)..

So if we were to follow your logic, why should Fender make $4K guitars? pro guitarists are only 5% of musicians, and most pro guitarists are struggling to make a buck at a dive bar?

Why should fashion houses focus so much time & energy on runway shows only 0.1% of the population can afford? 90% actors are underpaid/unemployed..?

But see you have to understand trickle-down economics/theory & brand exposure impact before scratching your head at what so & so brand do and pulling arbitrary/irrelevant stats from the consumer end.

4 hours ago, no_connection said:

The results are in:

"Done. And the results are pretty good: 24.3 ms in 4k FF 25fps, and 8.7ms in 1080p FF 25fps."

Still waiting for s35

It seems very similar to my A7rIII i s35 4k, which is very similar to the GH5, around 16-17ms.

I had a quick go at the camera yesterday during a preview event. The menus are convoluted as ever with a zillion tabs to side scroll through (hadn't touched a sony in a minute) and i couldn't even figure out how to activate touch screen functionality for some stupid reason. That said image quality was perhaps best i've seen from a sony (once you've set WB, color settings etc). Love that you can switch from FF to S35 with no visible IQ loss. Still will probably go with XH1 for DCI 4K @ 200mbps, ergonomics & color science.

My best friend here, who just returned from a trip to India and Nepal, let me try out his a7r III. With the battery grip and a 16-35 GM, it felt much better in my hands. I also appreciate that you can see tons of settings info on the LCD and it’s all legible to my aging eyeballs. The EVF is another matter - in order to see the entire image, my peepers had to scan around the viewfinder, so a little unpleasant there. Still found the exposure comp dial and the thumb wheel too small and too recessed. Is it true that when using the battery grip, the camera doesn’t use the in-camera battery?