Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Now that Sony has such a competitive camera for video at the $2000 price point can they finally add picture profiles to the A9?  With the A73 at $2000 with that level of video quality they can't possibly expect the A9 at $4500 would be cannibalizing any sales for video-centric buyers.  Just give us the damn picture profiles already.  Of course it could be Andrew's interesting theory that it's the silent shutter flagship mode of the A9 that caused issues with picture profiles and thus was left out so as not to cause problems with that mode, not any sales/marketing/cannibalization concerns.

I bought an A9 a little while ago, which I wouldn't have normally since I don't need that level of performance but I got it at a discount (working for a division of Sony) and really wanted the touch autofocus.  Now I just want Andrew's EOSHD Pro Color for it, which worked great on my A7R2.  Still hoping Sony can find a way to make it happen, but guessing they won't because the A9 owners are such a small group and most are focused on stills and don't care about picture profiles.  I may just have to sell it and get an A7III, or wait for the S3...

Anyhow, apologies for the digression.. now back to your reguarly scheduled A7III discussion..

6 hours ago, tellure said:

Now that Sony has such a competitive camera for video at the $2000 price point can they finally add picture profiles to the A9?  With the A73 at $2000 with that level of video quality they can't possibly expect the A9 at $4500 would be cannibalizing any sales for video-centric buyers.  Just give us the damn picture profiles already.  Of course it could be Andrew's interesting theory that it's the silent shutter flagship mode of the A9 that caused issues with picture profiles and thus was left out so as not to cause problems with that mode, not any sales/marketing/cannibalization concerns.

I bought an A9 a little while ago, which I wouldn't have normally since I don't need that level of performance but I got it at a discount (working for a division of Sony) and really wanted the touch autofocus.  Now I just want Andrew's EOSHD Pro Color for it, which worked great on my A7R2.  Still hoping Sony can find a way to make it happen, but guessing they won't because the A9 owners are such a small group and most are focused on stills and don't care about picture profiles.  I may just have to sell it and get an A7III, or wait for the S3...

Anyhow, apologies for the digression.. now back to your reguarly scheduled A7III discussion..

I would assume there is a level at which the hardware of the A9 and A7III are significantly different, particularly on the sensor readout rate, which partially justifies the higher price of the A9. It is possible this translates to less rolling shutter on the A9. It is certainly  a bit un-Sony to deliberately cripple a model so it is possible the lack of picture profiles is a hardware limitation; as you say the A7III will even more effectively cannibalise sales of video cameras than the A9 so there is no logical reason not to implement them on the A9 if it can be done.

Specs are killer but I can't get over that yellow cast in mixed light shots (including all over Max in his review). Looks like AWB is still crappy. Or is it just the color science? both?

I know Andrew talked about the new HLG profile giving more Canon like skin tones in a A7R3 article? wish there was a bit more talk about this and footage examples of how this improves the Sony color science issues.

Again this is my main gripe with Sony's as I simply can't afford to lose time in post correcting each shot nor do I often have time to use color checkers, custom WB & adjust profile color settings when shooting R&G..

To round it off, I assume these issues Max listed last month are still present:

Chris & Jordan just commented about skintones in their live A73 Q&A:  "green-magenta cast on everything" "WB was correct, strange tint issues on skintones " "Sony still far behind in color science":

glad to hear i'm not the only one seeing this..

Spec wise the camera is amazing, but I too see a lot of weird Sony colors. I thought they were improving their color science with each release, I do not know what is going on.

I am still trying to keep it low, and see what Canonikon and the next Fuji (X-T3) can do. I do not know why, but I still want to believe in these guys!

Does anyone know if this camera has 1 touch picture capability (just press the touch screen and instantly take a picture)?

57 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Spec wise the camera is amazing, but I too see a lot of weird Sony colors. I thought they were improving their color science with each release, I do not know what is going on.

I am still trying to keep it low, and see what Canonikon and the next Fuji (X-T3) can do. I do not know why, but I still want to believe in these guys!

Does anyone know if this camera has 1 touch picture capability (just press the touch screen and instantly take a picture)?

Don't look to the X-T3 to fulfill your needs. As per one reviewer, it's not going to have IBIS nor the video features of the x-h1... Because it only covers that side of the market where the X-T2 sits at - so may be 1080/120p (my guess) but nothing else in terms of video and a sensor upgrade.

4 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Don't look to the X-T3 to fulfill your needs. As per one reviewer, it's not going to have IBIS nor the video features of the x-h1... Because it only covers that side of the market where the X-T2 sits at - so may be 1080/120p (my guess) but nothing else in terms of video and a sensor upgrade.

I do not care about IBIS at all, not that much about 10 bit either (in case anyone mentions it!) and "full frame" isn't a necessity. I would like to see a better sensor and more efficient processor, with a few ergonomic improvements. I know for sure that Fuji follows the market and listens. We will see.

One thing this camera does for sure is make some of the others look a bit pricey. Up to now the A6500 looked like the most affordable full featured model, now you can get a seriously better body and full frame for 50% more; they are even chucking in a kit lens half price at £200 extra which can't be bad.

On 28/02/2018 at 3:19 AM, jonpais said:

The article says the problem has been mitigated on the X-T20 but nowhere does it state definitively that the issue has been addressed on later models of the X-T2.

I had the x-t2 and it also exhibited the purple grid artifacts but after I sent it in the sensor was replaced and I never had the issue again. I read many similar reports online of other early models having sensor changes when sent in for repairs. I suspect a quiet fix/redesign was implemented when the issue was brought to light

I think I'm going to preorder this. Hopefully a7siii will come through with 4k60. 

Really looking forward to useable afc, full frame, and lowlight performance! Monster specs for the price.  If the photos match the d750 I can sell those too...

Keeping the gh5 for 4k60 until Sony does it.  Why won't Panasonic fix the 35-100... 

Been watching eBay for good deals on Sony gm lenses, just missing the 24-70 and I'm set.  Then need to get the new tilta g2x or ikan pivot.

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I walked into a shop this afternoon to handle the a7r III and was a little shocked at how small the body, the dials and the grip are. As good as these cameras are, I don’t think it would be very comfortable to use. 

Having used the A7rII for years and now the A7rIII, I agree with that. Now I got the vertical grip which brings a tremendous improvement in handling, giving it a similar feel to the D3 that I was using in the past, but that of course comes with the size & weight increase.