Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah looks like a great camera. I just bought the a7riii and I am debating whether to cancel the order...

Man I am impressed. Sony really stepped the game here. They must do that knowing that canikon monsters will release their version this year so they wanted to be sure to have the best specs for the price. 

Seriously, if one does not need 42mpx, this is better than the A7RIII especially when considering price. 

Very, very impress. Can't wait to be blown away at NAB by A7SIII. Now counting on 4K60p and 10 bit easily.

Hands on by PB: http://philipbloom.net/blog/a7iii/

In fact it is even better than A9. It gets a BSI sensor, they claim 15 stops of DR. DR of A9 was pretty bad so we should see a better still image quality here. 

41 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Man I am impressed. Sony really stepped the game here. They must do that knowing that canikon monsters will release their version this year so they wanted to be sure to have the best specs for the price. 

Seriously, if one does not need 42mpx, this is better than the A7RIII especially when considering price. 

Very, very impress. Can't wait to be blown away at NAB by A7SIII. Now counting on 4K60p and 10 bit easily.

Hands on by PB: http://philipbloom.net/blog/a7iii/

In fact it is even better than A9. It gets a BSI sensor, they claim 15 stops of DR. DR of A9 was pretty bad so we should see a better still image quality here. 

The A9 has a stacked BSI sensor with 13.2 stops of DR vs 13.9 for the A7RIII.

AHHHH! I bought the a9 2 weeks ago. The a7iii does better video!  I did get the a9 new for cheaper than an a7riii though so can't complain too much. 

This just killed the resale value of the a7rii. And the price was already falling. I have see the a7rii price drop down to 1500 usd used in Australia. 

Too bad 1.2x crop in 30fps. Most likely meaning that readout could not keep up in 30fps, as a result expecting high rolling shutter on the level of 35ms(similar to a6300/a6500). 

Quote from  dpreview: "24p 4K video is taken from a 6K region of the sensor, while 30p shooting comes from a roughly 5K region with a 1.2x crop".

So, according to the press release, 30fps @ 4K appears to have a 1.6X crop (don't know if that is standard with ALL sony full frame cameras, so that might not be a surprise to others).

Good to see a BSI sensor in a camera for $2,000

Did they say what the readout time of the sensor is? The a6300 / a6500 oversample from 6K and they have pretty heinous rolling shutter.

I just don't see Nikon being able to top this with a full frame mirrorless at this price point any time soon (if that is even in the cards now). Maybe if they somehow get AWESOME autofocus using all their AF-S and AF-D lenses (of which there are many), then it might. But who knows. Not a hater. Hoping Nikon competes.

5 minutes ago, alexO said:

Too bad 1.2x crop in 30fps. Most likely meaning that readout could not keep up in 30fps, as a result expecting high rolling shutter on the level of 35ms(similar to a6300/a6500). 

Quote from  dpreview: "24p 4K video is taken from a 6K region of the sensor, while 30p shooting comes from a roughly 5K region with a 1.2x crop".

Hmmm... the press release they linked to says this:

In video mode, the camera uses full pixel readout without pixel binning to collect about 2.4x[xiii] the amount of data required for 4K movies, and then oversamples it to produce high quality 4K footage with exceptional detail and depth.

Footnote:
[xiii] 24p recording. Approx. 1.6x at 30p.

Here is the press release:

https://***URL removed***/news/8128895545/sony-launches-a7-iii-sub-2000-24mp-full-frame-mirrorless-with-a7r-iii-s-advances#_edn6

A 1.6X crop would make it super 35, wouldn't it? (Sorry if I am wrong; my maths is horrible.)

3 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

So, according to the press release, 30fps @ 4K appears to have a 1.6X crop (don't know if that is standard with ALL sony full frame cameras, so that might not be a surprise to others).

Good to see a BSI sensor in a camera for $2,000

Did they say what the readout time of the sensor is? The a6300 / a6500 oversample from 6K and they have pretty heinous rolling shutter.

I just don't see Nikon being able to top this with a full frame mirrorless at this price point any time soon (if that is even in the cards now). Maybe if they somehow get AWESOME autofocus using all their AF-S and AF-D lenses (of which there are many), then it might. But who knows. Not a hater. Hoping Nikon competes.

I think you are misreading the press release - I believe it is saying that the 4k 30fps is oversampled 1.6x

1 hour ago, thefactory said:

AHHHH! I bought the a9 2 weeks ago. The a7iii does better video!  I did get the a9 new for cheaper than an a7riii though so can't complain too much. 

This just killed the resale value of the a7rii. And the price was already falling. I have see the a7rii price drop down to 1500 usd used in Australia. 

It was around that for a while for a7rii in Oz, I bet it gonna drop even more since a7iii will be so much better for everything else if u don’t need 42mp

2 hours ago, wobba said:

The A9 has a stacked BSI sensor with 13.2 stops of DR vs 13.9 for the A7RIII.

You are wrong. A9 sensor is not BSI (see official Sony specs). That’s why they claim 15 stops of DR with A7III. It will have better IQ than A9 for sure.

You are also wrong with the measurement between A9 and RIII. Check DXO as well as real world comparison on Dpreview. 

13 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

You are wrong. A9 sensor is not BSI (see official Sony specs). That’s why they claim 15 stops of DR with A7III. It will have better IQ than A9 for sure.

You are also wrong with the measurement between A9 and RIII. Check DXO as well as real world comparison on Dpreview. 

The A9 sensor is an Exmor RS, according to official Sony specs, which is BSI.

5 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah looks like a great camera. I just bought the a7riii and I am debating whether to cancel the order...

I honestly would. It's everything that camera is with a few less megapixels and the A9 AF. I'm hoping to sell my A7r II for it, but this will kill it's resale value. The dual card slots and joystick are totally worth it, and the RS from that sensor is supposed to be superior compared to my A7r II. It's seriously a near flawless camera. Battery life, features, AF, EVERYTHING.