somewhat painful... NX-None

Juxx989

Samsung is releasing a teaser for their new phone but they featured an NX Lens and a funky looking NX-1ish camera....

Its like your x-girlfriend sending you an invitation to her wedding.   :expressionless:  

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s9-teaser-video-hints-at-what-to-expect-from-the-camera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Incredibile. They should feel guilty after what they did...they probably think that ppl are stupid enough to think that a tiny sensor can match a real camera.

I fully expect it will one day. At least, manufacturers seem to pour a lot of resources into trying. 

7 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

Its like your x-girlfriend sending you an invitation to her wedding.   :expressionless:  

I always knew the NX1 was a slut. ?

Definitely so. A camera phone, as of today, is totally ridicolous as a camera replacement, if you want the quality of a real camera.

For example, for stills, I'd pick a Nikon D1x from 2001 over ANY today's phone. And that's 17 years of continuous development. Perhaps, in the future, a tiny sensor will be able to match the DR and noise of a big sensor from today, but there will always be the issues with lens distortions, bokeh, and so on.

So, for me, real cameras will be necessary for at least other 10 years.

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

A lot of Instagrammers are going back to actual cameras.

Samsung should do an Instagram Special version of the NX1 with 4K 120fps ;)

There's a feature slated to be shot on the NX1 that's going to hit several festivals, with the hope and actual intent to bring some positive attention to the camera. 

Here's the guy's rig. I wish him well. 

IMG_16051.jpg

IMG_11721.jpg

On 2/16/2018 at 9:55 AM, Marco Tecno said:

Incredibile. They should feel guilty after what they did...they probably think that ppl are stupid enough to think that a tiny sensor can match a real camera.

Feel guilty? Corporations don't have feelings, and I seriously doubt the Samsung family does much emoting. 

I was thinking about this marketing move from Samsung and trying to place myself in some of the comments made here. 

But to be honest, Samsung said as much when they left the market. The official statement is that there is no money in mirrorless systems and the impetus was to instead focus on smartphones. 

Well...isn't that exactly what they're doing here? They are making the claim here that the NX line was the "old" venture, to be replaced by the new. This is exactly the narrative being portayed in this marketing video, at least that's what I'm reading.

I'm sure in Samsung's perspective, 120 FPS in UHD 4K is better than 30 FPS in UHD 4K. They tend to make assertions about quality based on the spec sheet, and they are proud of their stuff. 

I think what they, Samsung fail to understand, or have no dedication to, is the veiwpoint of the prosumer here. Than again, the consumer trumps the prosumer in terms of profits by miles and miles.

I have this running commentary in my head (I take medication) complete with British accents, that the NX1 was never meant to be a prosumer camera, at least where it concerns upper management. I think the more professional features were "snuck in" by the workshop elves as it where and management in passing and on the way to prison just said, "right, cheers".

Oh, I don't freaking know. 

Well I think it was just Samsung's way of showing the world that they COULD make a killer camera right out of the box, and yeah it sold pretty well but they must have been spooked by Sony going balls to the wall at the time with new camera after new camera. They knew Canon, Nikon was no threat on Mirrorless. Who the hell knows.

The money part of it had to amount to a pimple on a dogs ass for them at the time.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I think it was just Samsung's way of showing the world that they COULD make a killer camera right out of the box, and yeah it sold pretty well but they must have been spooked by Sony going balls to the wall at the time with new camera after new camera. They knew Canon, Nikon was no threat on Mirrorless. Who the hell knows.

The money part of it had to amount to a pimple on a dogs ass for them at the time.

But during that time Sony's offering couldn't even do internal 4k. I'm not sure what Samsung was exactly spooked about? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just didn't personally see Sony's offering as much as a threat in terms of specs. But, of course, you have to factor in brand recognition, and certainly Sony had it in spades over Samsung. 

They just got bored with the previous president's pet project (which he was already on a coma, or dead when the decision was taken anyways), and they just cut it. As simple as that.

To make amazing cameras takes a huge R&D resources, and on a declining market, who cares? Probably the newer generations in the company (the son of that said president is in jail right now, I think) don't even use a dedicated photo camera anymore.

Now it would be the time for a NX1mkIII, and that would be so much better than anything else, that it could dominate the market (now, in 2018, 4 years after the release of NX1 and with 3-4 cameras in between). They needed only 2 cameras per couple of years, a NX500 and an NX1, they not only had 3 of those, they had another system in 1"! Too many mistakes, not a lot of will. The most tragic figures are the passionate people on that department (does anyone remember the guys from the lens R&D? They almost cried when talking about making lenses!), they gave a lot of thought on that project.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:19 AM, Juxx989 said:

Soooooooo............ are you going to the wedding? 

On 2/18/2018 at 1:59 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Taping up a Samsung logo in a Samsung advert by Samsung PR team. Interesting.

We better not dare sell our own products! :-o

19 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

There's a feature slated to be shot on the NX1 that's going to hit several festivals, with the hope and actual intent to bring some positive attention to the camera. 

Here's the guy's rig. I wish him well. 

Where did you find these pics? Reverse image searched turned up nothing