The Cure for Bad AutoFocus

DBounce

Even with the mighty 1DXMk2, AF when left to camera may have unintended results. With lessor AF systems... which is pretty much everything else that is not using Canon's DPAF system, well, it's somewhat less than perfect. As I see it, we are starting to see some interesting options in this area. Manual focus is always an option, but has limitations. To this end I give you the Tilta Nucleus M. I recently picked one up in hopes that it could help me to vanquish focus woes once and for all. This unit paired with the Panasonic GH5s has the potential to make a formidable filmmaking/doc work combination. From my primarily experience I can tell you the system seems very well screwed together. Solid, in a way that few products are these days. Everything is metal. Even the battery doors are metal. The motors are high torque and tunable for different lenses. I have to say this system seems very complete. I will be digging into it in detail over the next few weeks and months and will offer feedback if the community is interested.  

PS: A couple of notes...

Point 1. The unit does not come with batteries, and will only work with unprotected cell button top 18650 batteries. I generally use protected cell batteries, and as this was not mentioned online, believed I had batteries already.  Needless to say, I am now waiting for batteries so I can fire up the unit. These batteries are the one recommended by Tilta. 

Point 2. You may find that the included lemo cables are a bit short. I purchase a second one from here.

Tilta_Nucleus_M.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs