Replacing the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 on Panasonic GH5

Frank5

I've been shooting my last two documentaries on Cinema EOS Cameras and relied heavily on the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 for interviews. For a new project I need a portable kit with a similar lens that offers the same flexibility without being too bulky, and I'm considering the GH5S. Which native MFT lens will replace the Sigma 18-35mm best for to-camera interviews? I've seen recommendations for the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and a combination of 15mm and 25mm Panasonic Summilux primes, but they won't offer the speed or flexibility of the Sigma. Looking forward to any suggestions. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think the fastest native micro 4/3 zooms all start at f/2.8, so you might be better off with a couple of primes if you’re really after shallow depth of field with such modest focal lengths. I can only talk about lenses I’ve used myself, and the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN and 30mm f/1.4 DC DN are both remarkable and reasonably priced. Longer focal lengths I’d recommend are the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 and the Olympus 75mm f/2.8. 

Thank you all for your suggestions. The solution with the speedbooster was my first thought, but it would somehow negate the advantages in portability that an MFT system could offer. If that's the only way to go, then so be it.

Jon, in your experience, how do the Sigma 16mm and 30mm stack up against the 18-35mm in terms of sharpness, contrast, and autofocus? I could probably get by with the 16mm (32mm on MFT), since I shoot most interviews between 20mm and 30mm on the 18-35mm (32-48mm on APS-C).

Many thanks!

@Frank5 It’s been a long while since I used the 18-35 bcs it’s too darn heavy for me, and I’ve never done any comparisons. If you want some economical primes, you can’t go wrong with either lens. I never shoot AFC. May I ask why you shoot interviews with such a short focal length though? Just curious. 

@jonpais I shoot the interviews relatively wide because the camera usually sits statically on a tripod and so I can crop later if necessary. Not sure 20-30mm is especially short on an APS-C sensor for a sit-down interview, though. That will be 40-60mm equivalent on an MFT sensor. People often move and shift around, and this focal length has worked quite well for me.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I think Olympus makes some seriously amazing lenses.

I would love to see Panasonic make some super fast zooms (f2.0 or faster). I see no reason why they shouldn't be developing super fast zooms. I love primes, but it's a nuisance changing lenses on the field. 

How about an f2 set (12-40mm and 35-110mm equivalent) and an f2.8 12-80mm equivalent. 

1 hour ago, GreekBeast said:

Here is a hotel I've shot with the Gh5 and the native 12-35 /2.8 ( first gen). It had a lot of ronin so if you shoot Run N Gun you might get a feel. 

Beautiful Cyprus! stayed there for a summer teaching Robotics and Cinema on a kid's summer camp at Fredericks! Just out of curiosity, is there any shot in your video on a tripod?

23 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I love primes, but it's a nuisance changing lenses on the field. 

Same here. I have several primes but in interview situations have always relied on dialing in the focal length with the zoom. It's just so much easier, especially when you have space constraints in the field.

The Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is a unique lens, if that is what you want, get it!

But if you want lower weight / native lenses, then it means compromises. 

Here is one path I might take, a simple two lens kit:

1) a mid range zoom which is f4 (or f2.8), I use this when I need to R&G and don't need that super lowlight

2) Panasonic 25mm f1.7, for those times when I need that extra speed! (but lose the flexibility of a zoom)

Between those two lenses you could do a lot (for instance the zoom for daytime, the prime for night shoots!).

33 minutes ago, Frank5 said:

Same here. I have several primes but in interview situations have always relied on dialing in the focal length with the zoom. It's just so much easier, especially when you have space constraints in the field.

Absolutely. Also, the chances of dust and other stuff landing on the sensor is enormous, anywhere outside of a very small closed studio.

I saw this beautiful location for a film (we were on a reccee), and I usually change lenses all the time, and almost, inadvertently changed lenses here. Luckily I didn't, cause this is like a mini canyon, with sand and dust, and that would have been the end of the reccee.  

20180206_160047.jpg

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Beautiful Cyprus! stayed there for a summer teaching Robotics and Cinema on a kid's summer camp at Fredericks! Just out of curiosity, is there any shot in your video on a tripod?

Oh that's nice, in Nicosia? Actually no there was no use of tripod! 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

This was only tripod back then when I had only 1 gh4 and a tripod. Some people actually prefer this. Sometimes we push it too hard with technology and it backfires at us!

And an 120cm konova slider.. don't forget that! ;p

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Here is one path I might take, a simple two lens kit:

1) a mid range zoom which is f4 (or f2.8), I use this when I need to R&G and don't need that super lowlight

2) Panasonic 25mm f1.7, for those times when I need that extra speed! (but lose the flexibility of a zoom)

It' really just about to-camera interviews here where I prefer to use the 18-35mm. It seems there isn't a clear cut replacement for MFT.

Just out of curiosity, do you mean the inexpensive Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 for around $200? I was wondering how that was holding up in a professional setting.

4 hours ago, Frank5 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you mean the inexpensive Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 for around $200? I was wondering how that was holding up in a professional setting.

Sure there are always more expensive options, but I reckon it is smarter to put that spare cash elsewhere such as into getting a Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 as well? Depends on your needs/wants

4 hours ago, Frank5 said:

It' really just about to-camera interviews here where I prefer to use the 18-35mm. It seems there isn't a clear cut replacement for MFT.

It is a unique lens. Not even in Nikon or Canon mounts (the two most popular mounts in the world!) is  there an equivalent lens to itself!

@Frank5 I don’t have experience with these Panasonic ‘pancakes’, but from my experience with the Sigma,  pretty sure the 18-35 will slaughter any of them. On the GH5s, the FOV will also be somewhere between s35 and full frame, the color the lenses produce is different... FOV dramatically different... If you’re shooting on a tripod in a static setting, I don’t see why something like the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 or the PL 25mm f/1.4 wouldn’t suffice. Then again, I don’t see weight being an issue with the Sigma if you’re not hiking or mountain climbing. After all, you’ve got to bring along lighting, stands, diffusers along anyway. 

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Frank5 I don’t have experience with these Panasonic ‘pancakes’, but from my experience with the Sigma,  pretty sure the 18-35 will slaughter any of them

Where did we discuss pancake lenses?!?! Don't see that mentioned anywhere in this thread.