The low-budget bubble has well and truly burst

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Someone on my facebook feed earlier called filmmakers who prefer film to digital "hipsters" and basically idiots for wanting to shoot on film. I don't see anything wrong with Soderbergh wanting to try something different. I love my digital cameras, but I've also shot Super 8, and I have some 16mm waiting to be shot. I'll probably shoot something with my iPhone at some point, because it seems like it could be fun. I guess I'm a fucking hipster for wanting to keep filmmaking fun for me. No one ever questions an artist for switching from water color to oil, when clearly they could just paint everything the same way because there's no NEED to use anything else.

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im with you. When anyone calls someone a "hipster" I always read it as "I don't understand and that scares me so I resort to name calling". 

With you to a point. When I see a victorian-dressed bearded guy in wooden headphones riding a penny farthing in Clerkenwell, however, it's not fear that's my motivation when I snort about hipsters. I wouldn't, mind you, use the word to denigrate someone's choice of imaging technology.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

all you got to say is that I do not have the right to have an opinion??!

Yeah, that's exactly it.

Correct. All I got to say is that you should have your opinion taken away. 

I'm all about removing rights from strangers on the internet and destroying their freedoms.  It's just a thing I like to do.

Doing that...and hijacking threads from OP's.

Life's mission:  accomplished.  I can die fulfilled.

2 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

When I see a victorian-dressed bearded guy in wooden headphones riding a penny farthing in Clerkenwell, however, it's not fear

You sure you're not phasing into an alternate dimension?  That could be scary. 

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

With you to a point. When I see a victorian-dressed bearded guy in wooden headphones riding a penny farthing in Clerkenwell, however, it's not fear that's my motivation when I snort about hipsters. I wouldn't, mind you, use the word to denigrate someone's choice of imaging technology.

If I see that I smile and take a picture. I find pure joy in diversity. I love all kinds of nerds.

1 hour ago, Tim Sewell said:

I can't be bothered to get into any lengthy discussion about this, but 28 Days Later wasn't shot on those cameras because they couldn't afford to do it on 35mm. As he says, in the passages you quoted:

"...  but we made an artistic decision and I stood by it."

The artistic choice made was multi camera for a deserted area. 

Thus budget/time forced them to not use S35

I think you're very much misinterpreting that sentence, and missing the context around it. 

41 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

Someone on my facebook feed earlier called filmmakers who prefer film to digital "hipsters" and basically idiots for wanting to shoot on film.

To me, my G6 and GX85 are that: filmcameras. So shooting with film would be great, 8mm accessible, 16mm desireable, 35mm out of reach.

Reading the full American Cinematography article it seems that the choice to use DV was in part driven by cost and logistics, but also because Boyle and Mantle felt that the harshness of the format matched the script's darkness and brutality. So a technology choice deriving artistic benefit from an economic necessity. the impression I get from the musings on how great the London scenes would have looked on 35mm was that there is an unspoken proviso - 'but not for this movie'.

37 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think you're very much misinterpreting that sentence, and missing the context around it. 

The history of this decision is well documented even by before the film was out in the cinemas in 2002. We discussed the same this subject extensively on film school.

They didn't have the budget to shoot the whole thing in film, nor the time, so they had to take "an artistic decision", other people prefer B&W for some similar reasons (cheap 16mm film, rather than color 35), we do such decisions every day when we do not have the budget, the crew, and/or the time, and I do call them "artistic decisions", because in the end, you make a plan and you follow through.

Cassavetes and Italian neo reailsm are two of the strongest influences in my life, and they were really far from perfect technical.

Hipster in my terminology is someone that takes the motto "form follows function" in the opposite direction. I love nice and beautiful designs, but the purpose of its intended use is not to look at it, but  e.g hold it -when this object is a camera - for 5-8 hours per day and earn what I can because is my only sort of income. The first time I read about "hipsters" was in W.S Burroughs "The Junkie", a book published in 1953, since when I read it, I have a comical description of this term in my mind, which changes every decade or so.

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

If I see that I smile and take a picture. I find pure joy in diversity. I love all kinds of nerds.

I'm with you on diversity. But for me the is a considerable difference between 'nerds' and 'try-hards' the later of which seems a big part of the hipster architecture. 

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, User said:

I'm with you on diversity. But for me the is a considerable difference between 'nerds' and 'try-hards' the later of which seems a big part of the hipster architecture. 

This makes me think you just didn't "get" whatever it was you encountered :)

The trying to hards imo are the once trying to figure stuff out instead of embracing diversity.

13 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

This makes me think you just didn't "get" whatever it was you encountered :)

The trying to hards imo are the once trying to figure stuff out instead of embracing diversity.

I'm not sure there is that much to 'get' watching someone struggling with their wooden headphones or suitcase when they could be on the move with their moulded plastic ones. Their is a difference between an authentic nerd look and a poser. But please, for the sake of everyone here, let's agree not to debate this here :)

stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Thanks for pointing out 28 days later. Watched the London solitary sequence. Beautiful. Amazing what people do with just one character an empty city, natural light, suberb blocking and editing and fantastic framing.

The low resolution of that shot of him walking on the bridge...burnt highlights and all I was like wow. This is gorgeous. You can FEEL the emptiness and his confusion...??‍♂️Jesus Christ I sound like a fckn hipster lmao

AD426050-492F-43C9-A2F6-2D42009E9382.png

E7197C3C-CFBD-487E-A5B7-2A3333FC1255.png

EB19C18E-B143-4E55-A801-1064602997C9.png

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, User said:

I'm not sure there is that much to 'get' watching someone struggling with their wooden headphones or suitcase when they could be on the move with their moulded plastic ones. Their is a difference between an authentic nerd look and a poser. But please, for the sake of everyone here, let's agree not to debate this here :)

stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

No need to debate at all. For me its simple, if he/she enjoys the wooden headphones. Then its all good. I don't have to agree or understand. Nor calling them names, they are just different which is fine :)

39 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

For me its simple, if he/she enjoys the wooden headphones. Then its all good.

Alright. But what if the person is not actually enjoying their wooden headphones and actually caught in an web of narcissistic and self destructive behaviour trying to impress others? Well now.

It takes a big man to cry over his broken wooden headphones, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man ;)

Anyway.

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, User said:

Alright. But what if the person is not actually enjoying their wooden ..

He obviously think its worth it, all the power to him.

To bring it somewhat back on topic. Its the same thing with film vs digital. Some would prefer shooting on digital even if they could afford film. I dont get it but if it makes them happy :)