So I got a Canon 77D and 80D..

Inazuma

Over the past few weeks I became really curious about whether or not the video quality was "good enough" for my casual use. If it was, then I would "downgrade" to one of these cameras and have a nice time with the large and cheap lens selection, Canon ergos and natural images. 

Unfortunately, yeh, the video quality really is still too bad.

80D in All-i mode:

vlcsnap-2018-02-14-17h58m17s509.thumb.png.e203956cb9afa6b768a9a02bccb5a126.png

Fujifilm x100f

vlcsnap-2018-02-14-17h59m39s391.thumb.png.c2da3c740f34abf70b00d6a168ca6254.png

What you also can't see there is how much noise there is. There is a lot of noise dancing around in the shadows of the Canon image. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm happy with mine (80D). Had a couple of 6D bodies and a couple of 7D Mark II bodies, sold those for a couple of Panasonic GH4's and M43 lenses. GH4's were decent, but we got tired of not being able to use the auto focus. So, ditched the GH4's about a month ago and went backwards to a couple of 80D bodies and reinvested in lenses. Sure, it's not 4K and you gotta watch for that aliasing, but we couldn't be happier. Shooting a Doc right now with them and for Gimbal work, it's priceless to have DPAF. These will hold us over until we can grab a C200 in a few months then the 80D's will be B and C cams or even just stills cams from time to time.

It was the kits lens - but does it matter? There shouldn't be noise in day light at low ISO's :grin:

Of course there's great looking footage from the t3i, 5dii, etc out there. That's not the point. The point is that it just technically looks bad.

Back when I had the C100 Mark II, I really wanted an EF mount B cam. It's a real shame that the DSLR cameras don't come close to it in sharpness. 

BTW on the topic of 77D vs 80D. I've returned them both now but during my brief use of them, the 77D was slightly cleaner in the shadows in video. But the on/off/movie mode switch was horrendous. That's a no-buy from me just because of that. The 80D's body felt better overall but the DPAF wasn't as good. In fact there was a moment where it lost track of my cat due to a bit of backlight and could not regain focus. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I don’t care if you love or hate the camera but that is a tough shot to expose, with a slow lens, when you expose for the sky and expect the dark fence to be clean... you can’t always protect your highlights. 

Hah, I'm not a noob. I wasn't really talking about noise in the above shot. Just noise in general in other bits that I filmed outside. However, even when exposed for the fence, I can still see a lot of dancing noise on it.

39 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Hah, I'm not a noob. I wasn't really talking about noise in the above shot. Just noise in general in other bits that I filmed outside. However, even when exposed for the fence, I can still see a lot of dancing noise on it.

Sorry, didn’t mean to insinuate that you were a noob. But that’s not really the best shot to show off any Canon camera’s strong suits.

23 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

The intention of the above image was not to show off dynamic range/noise but detail :) 

Yeah, unfortunately, as you know, Canon and wide angle shots do not mix. Of course, the Fuji didn’t look too much better. With rumored 4K on the upcoming M50... it may get better.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, unfortunately, as you know, Canon and wide angle shots do not mix. 

I didn't exactly know though. I bought the two cameras in order to test out if they were as bad as I thought. I think the Fuji fares a lot better there actually. 4k isn't that important to me. I just want good 1080. I'm still kind of on the fence actually. For casual video maybe the 80d will be ok for me. But I've definitely been spoilt by the different cameras I've had over the years. 

8 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I didn't exactly know though. I bought the two cameras in order to test out if they were as bad as I thought. I think the Fuji fares a lot better there actually. 4k isn't that important to me. I just want good 1080. I'm still kind of on the fence actually. For casual video maybe the 80d will be ok for me. But I've definitely been spoilt by the different cameras I've had over the years. 

Oh. Honestly, I was surprised at how much detail the fence had... although mushy. But any brick work will be a disaster on a Canon, and the fringing with that lens doesn’t help either. 

I’m right with you, I tested so many cameras over the years, it’s hard to keep them straight. Here’s a video I love that was shot with the 80D... the filmmaker did a great job using the camera’s strengths to his advantage... good storytelling didn’t hurt either...