Marantz PMD-750 Digital Wireless

IronFilm

Never seen this product before, as it is a brand brand new product that isn't shipping yet. But as a Marantz it should be worth checking out. 

Has a low low price of US$399

2.4 GHz Digital Transmitter (like RodeLink, no need to worry about what frequencies are legal)

All info on the top, which is nice. But perhaps my favorite feature: "Receiver Can Pair to Two Transmitters". Handy! 

Annoyingly the input is a 4 pin XLR, which doesn't match up with any transmitters I own currently.

Unfortunately it is not shipping yet, and there are no reviews of it online, but it looks like a product to keep an eye on! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340330-REG/marantz_professional_pmd_750_2_4ghz_camera_mount_wireless.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Been skeptical about Marantz stuff since they were bought by another company a few years back, if I'm not mistaken. 

They've had a few changes in ownership structures over the past decade. But you'd at least hope with their long heritage they have a better shot than most at making a decent product. 

Their Marantz PMD-706 recorder is another new product they brought out recently:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340332-REG/marantz_professional_pmd_706_6_channel_dslr_recorder_recording.html

And early reviews of it seem to be promising:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=179428.0

Marantz might replace the Tascam DR70D as the default recommendation I give for a low budget recorder at that price point. (sub US$300)

Will reserve judgement on the Marantz PMD-750 Digital Wireless until more reviews come out, but just maybe this might be the product which replace the Sony UWP-D11 as my default low budget wireless recommendation. (but doubtful, I don't even think Marantz PMD-750 is the best shot chance at taking the low budget throne, probably at #2 chance in the betting odds. My odds on favorite is the new Senal AWS-2000 at the moment)

2.4GHz is probably the most used frequency right now. Even radio toys use this frequency. Even though its digital and works differently than analogue connection, I wouldn't say that it is trouble free, as people (also friends) have mentioned issues with wi fi signals and the such. Sennheiser in AVX took a completely different frequency (1.9 MHz I believe) and must be better utilized for camera people.

The 706 doesn't seem like a good ol' robust Marantz. I used to use the older ones back in the day, and it was either Marantz or Edirol 44 back then.

That 750 reminds me a bit of the Audio Technica wireless (not in design), it seems like they have a new approach, targeting low budget, rather than mid to high. I haven't use any of those of course, the 706 do not care, and the wireless maybe it is interesting, I would like to have such a cheap system, just as backup to my Sony's for whatever reason.

It seems also big and bulky https://www.zorrosounds.com/marantz-professional-pmd-750-2-4ghz-camera-mount-wireless-system , even though in the description it says the opposite! The form factor of the TX seems odd, too.

Also the 2 ch function, I am sceptical, as we know, 2ch true diversity receivers, the high end of our industry, start from 2000euros and go up north really fast, and that price is for only the receiver, how good can a 400euro (together with the 2nd TX and 2nd mic!) be? I wouldn't expect such a revolution to happen so cheap.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

2.4GHz is probably the most used frequency right now.

Yup it is a mixed bag of pro / con. 

Pros: low cost (or at least I assume this is a factor for manufacturers) and no worries about if it is legal or not.
Cons: operates in potentially very congest air!

I wouldn't want to exclusively rely upon these, but if they're otherwise good, I could see a place for a few of them in my kit for flexibility. (for instance if going on a short notice overseas trip?)

It seems also big and bulky 

Yeah after I posted this, I saw the video of them, and realised how chunky they look :-( 

Perhaps nearly as big as the RodeLinks? And what I hate about Rodelinks is their size!

Also the 2 ch function, I am sceptical, as we know, 2ch true diversity receivers, the high end of our industry, start from 2000euros and go up north really fast, and that price is for only the receiver, how good can a 400euro (together with the 2nd TX and 2nd mic!) be? I wouldn't expect such a revolution to happen so cheap.

Sony URX-P03D  is heaps cheaper than 2000 euros! Still a little on the pricey side though :-/ Otherwise I'd have already got one! Am very keen to get a couple.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259501-REG/sony_urx_p03d_30_urx_po3d_30.html

• Super Members

Speaking of Marantz getting their clunk on, I was actually quite interested in their PMD-602a to add XLR inputs to a couple of cameras.

5a8451e3e9da3_ZXC1PMD-602A_Hero_Web_RGB_00.thumb.jpg.bc5c5765e67148a22d0c4ee6db96d408.jpg

It certainly looked a bit nicer on paper than the Saramonic equivalent and at £100 its actually 30% cheaper.

And then I saw a demo video of it actually mounted underneath a camera.

And not some small mirrorless job either....

5a845340025dd_ScreenShot2018-02-14at16_17_29.thumb.jpg.c971d67a99fd2ec6fa85a630d9143451.jpg

I think their marketing department is going to need to adapt on of the honest advertising campaigns that they had in Dudley Moore's film "Crazy People"

volvo.jpg.012324c586542fac125bc1393a016b28.jpg

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yup it is a mixed bag of pro / con. 

Pros: low cost (or at least I assume this is a factor for manufacturers) and no worries about if it is legal or not.
Cons: operates in potentially very congest air!

I wouldn't want to exclusively rely upon these, but if they're otherwise good, I could see a place for a few of them in my kit for flexibility. (for instance if going on a short notice overseas trip?)

Yeah after I posted this, I saw the video of them, and realised how chunky they look :-( 

Perhaps nearly as big as the RodeLinks? And what I hate about Rodelinks is their size!

Sony URX-P03D  is heaps cheaper than 2000 euros! Still a little on the pricey side though :-/ Otherwise I'd have already got one! Am very keen to get a couple.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259501-REG/sony_urx_p03d_30_urx_po3d_30.html

No, no, no! the Sony is NOT true diversity 2ch! It has 2 antennas, if you have one ch (like regular Sony's) then you have true diversity, it means that if you lost signal on one ant, the other steps in, that is so fast that is non comprehensible, that is why we believe that the Sony's are the best low cost option. When you have 2 ch on this Rx, then each ch has one ant. So if the signal is lost, is gone! I wouldn't dare to using like these for serious, pro sound work, that is why I have banned the G3s for a few years now. That is probably acceptable for camera people, or non critical sound applications, or else I would have bought 2 of those already, and set up a nice 4 ch bag!

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Speaking of Marantz getting their clunk on, I was actually quite interested in their PMD-602a to add XLR inputs to a couple of cameras.

I dunno, the Tascam DR60Dmk2 is only a teeny bit more expensive and gives you the benefits of being a recorder as well.

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

No, no, no! <<snip>> So if the signal is lost, is gone! I wouldn't dare to using like these for serious, pro sound work, that is why I have banned the G3s for a few years now.

I guess you believe also professionals shouldn't use Lectrosonics SR series? Hmmm

Think there is a flaw there in how it works in practice?

10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

or else I would have bought 2 of those already, and set up a nice 4 ch bag!

I'd have three! If only it wasn't so darn expensive, and the fact I NEVER see  them discounted for sale secondhand :-(

11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

that is why we believe that the Sony's are the best low cost option

Oh there are a few little other details as well as to why I prefer Sony wireless over Sennheiser as the low budget option.

I am not sure what 

11 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I dunno, the Tascam DR60Dmk2 is only a teeny bit more expensive and gives you the benefits of being a recorder as well.

I guess you believe also professionals shouldn't use Lectrosonics SR series? Hmmm

Think there is a flaw there in how it works in practice?

I do not believe anything, I know that G3 have become almost unworkable in city environments, or you have to search for frequencies every time, and the Sony, can be workable for a full straight week without even changing ch, and that recently on a documentary I was focus puller, the sound man used some old Lectros and they had huge problems with interference, putting the receivers on a chair, and was going closer to the transmitter to achieve better signal. I wouldn't like to do that on a professional set (he is one of the most prominent professionals here too, very good and experienced, just with older equipment).

The wave spectrum isn't what it used to be 20 years ago when I started working professionally in sound. I guess NZ has the least urbanization compared to Europe and U.S probably. Here, 90% of the job is done is overpopulated city scapes.

The 2 ch Sony is dead cheap, I do not understand with "Expensive", if you do not care about true diversity, then it is almost the same price as having 2 regular ones. I explained why they are "dead cheap" in my opinion. I spend almost the same money for 3 sets just before Xmas, I would happily buying one of those, but it wasn't an option for me. Experiences vary!

The true diversity hybrid technology of Sony's are the only factor for me, if the G3 work good, and you have found a good frequency and ch, then the distance you can go is unbelievable for such a cheap and old kit. Sony's are workable a few (or a lot, depends) times less in distance. Also that you do not have to open the port to access the buttons, that is so silly of Sennheiser!

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, it was for a very simple live application and for Panasonic FZ2000s so I wasn't fussed about it recording and just wanted something small and cheap so this looked ideal until I actually saw it mounted to a camera.

Attaching that to something like the FZ2000 would look a bit, well, you know ;)

camper-bike-6.jpg.f5f661fc1f4f45efd01a4442f84d9af6.jpg

11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

the sound man used some old Lectros and they had huge problems with interference, putting the receivers on a chair, and was going closer to the transmitter to achieve better signal. I wouldn't like to do that on a professional set (he is one of the most prominent professionals here too, very good and experienced, just with older equipment).

Do you know exactly which Lectrosonics they might have been?

12 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The wave spectrum isn't what it used to be 20 years ago when I started working professionally in sound. I guess NZ has the least urbanization compared to Europe and U.S probably. Here, 90% of the job is done is overpopulated city scapes.

While it is true that most of the country is sheep (although that is changing.... the sheep are getting replaced by cows!), I do however spend 99% of my time in  a "big city": Auckland with a million people. 

13 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

then it is almost the same price as having 2 regular ones.

They don't come with receivers or lavs. So it is extra cost on top of what you'd already spend to buy two wireless kits. 

If only Sony offered a kit with one dual receiver and two transmitter then it would change substantially the maths!

15 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I do not understand with "Expensive"

I'm more frugal than Scrooge McDuck himself. 

No, I didn't pay attention because I had a whole C300mkII to set up and pull razor thin focus with Zeiss primes! They were black, used, and abused! They had gaffer tape all over them, and just before the final scenes, in front of the Acropolis (the cradle of civilization!) that we had a special and hard earned license to shoot, there were interferences (always in the worst possible time), and by the way, the place there is an archaeological site, without houses/tall building/etc near by. We were trying to catch the sunset, and you know in those circumstances the sun falls quick. I really sympathized with them. Of course we were only a small group of people (10 persons in set) and the director was something like 75 years old and the sound man 60, so they knew each other for decades, but I wouldn't like to be me, on a full set with dozens of people, and a director I do not know personally.

Edit: I can't keep up with you! I am sure you are posting in 24 other forums the same time; while you are drinking a cup of tea! There was an option in Europe, the aforementioned receiver with 2 Tx and the same mic, or another, so called, Pro version, with additional and better Sony mics (you get the cheap ones AND the expensive ones). The first version was something like 200 euros more, a completely insignificant price to pay, if I believed that it could do the job. So, no. The cost had nothing to do with it. Hell, even buying a couple of AVX would be similar money.

The problem was, in my original wish list, the 2ch Rx with 2Tx from Wisycom would be this http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/wisycom-mcr42s3-mega-bundle-incl-rx-2x-tx-2x-mics-cable-set.html

That is what I call price difference, in plain Mediterranean logic!

I have to go to edit some. Coming back to reply to your 162 new posts in a few hours!

28 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Edit: I can't keep up with you! I am sure you are posting in 24 other forums the same time; while you are drinking a cup of tea!

Haha, I don't have tea! I have coffee. And yeah, am posting on a few other forums at the same time. I have a scary number of tabs open right now:

image.thumb.png.278b6c25a250a6b81417716a19378ae8.png

Well, not scary for me, if anything, that is on the low side for the number of tabs I have open!

Is however late over here in New Zealand, should go to sleep. But I had tomorrow's shoot cancelled a few hours ago, no need for me to get up early tomorrow now. 

There was an option in Europe, the aforementioned receiver with 2 Tx and the same mic, or another, so called, Pro version, with additional and better Sony mics (you get the cheap ones AND the expensive ones).

Oh damn, wish Sony promoted that more in more markets!

No, I didn't pay attention because I had a whole C300mkII to set up and pull razor thin focus with Zeiss primes!

Ironically the C300mk2 has the best Autofocus out of all the higher end cinema cameras!

in front of the Acropolis (the cradle of civilization!)

Am always jealous of how much history Europeans have on their doorsteps. Unlike us in comparison, we think a hundred or so year old house is "old".

14 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Haha, I don't have tea! I have coffee. And yeah, am posting on a few other forums at the same time. I have a scary number of tabs open right now:

image.thumb.png.278b6c25a250a6b81417716a19378ae8.png

Well, not scary for me, if anything, that is on the low side for the number of tabs I have open!

Is however late over here in New Zealand, should go to sleep. But I had tomorrow's shoot cancelled a few hours ago, no need for me to get up early tomorrow now. 

Oh damn, wish Sony promoted that more in more markets!

Ironically the C300mk2 has the best Autofocus out of all the higher end cinema cameras!

Am always jealous of how much history Europeans have on their doorsteps. Unlike us in comparison, we think a hundred or so year old house is "old".

At least you are going to survive a few centuries more. Here things are not very optimistic!

• 5 months later...

Marantz PMD-750 wireless just got a price drop down to $299:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340330-REG/marantz_professional_pmd_750_2_4ghz_camera_mount_wireless.html

As the receiver can be used with two transmitters, you could buy a second transmitter for a hundred and fifty and have a two channels of wireless for a very low cost.

I'm not saying G3 wireless are awful and a dealbreaker (wellllll.... for some people they are by their standards), and G3 is indeed the defacto standard for very low budget shoots.  Everyone and their dog seems to have a G3 kit (which is unfortunately why you still see G3 getting recommend, not because they're the best bang for you buck, but because it is the only thing people know. Just like how Canon keeps on getting recommended, even when it isn't the best choice). 

But what I am saying is that in 2018 (or heck, any time in the last few years) they no longer make any sense at all to buy if you're putting together a new kit. As the Sony UWP-D11 are the same price but better. 

Plus the new Senal AWS200 (once we see more reviews of it) and the new Deity wireless (once it gets announced) will likely remove even more of the reasons for it make any sense to buy Sennheiser G3 wireless. 

And then at the lower budget underneath the G3 we have the Marantz PMD-750 and RodeLinks further undercutting the point in getting a G3 (although I'd still easily prefer a G3 over a RodeLink Filmmakers Kit, with their lower price then the RodeLink could be a more sensible choice than a G3 for someone with less demanding needs). 

Just now, Emanuel said:

This one sticks it even at a lower price range:

Only very marginally cheaper, and at least Marantz has a longer history and a better brand reputation. 

Had a Saramonic UwMic9 (their only one worth talking about), and it failed on me after quite a short period and doesn't work now. However I did by accident recently purchase another Saraomonic UwMic9 on eBay for next to nothing, so I'll give it another spin and report back. 

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Only very marginally cheaper, and at least Marantz has a longer history and a better brand reputation.

Well, $100 under such promotion now...

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Had a Saramonic UwMic9 (their only one worth talking about), and it failed on me after quite a short period and doesn't work now. However I did by accident recently purchase another Saraomonic UwMic9 on eBay for next to nothing, so I'll give it another spin and report back. 

Yeah, it would be nice to check your input for the subject matter :-)