I lost my GH5! - Please help answer this!

Charlie

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So called "full frame" (i.e. 135 format) doesn't automatically mean better lowlight. 
I'd rather use a BMPCC with a 1" / S16 sensor in lowlight than a "full frame" 5DmkII!

Exactly! Lowlight on the A7 is worse than on the G7. If you use G7 in 4K, it´s not even a contest. Plus the codec is one of the worst of the last five years of DSLMs. It has an image like the VG10, aliasing and mushy and falling apart quickly. It will look nice with blurred out background though. :)

32 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Ok folks, thanks again for all the comments!!!!......this is the best forum for filmmakers inmho!!

In the end I decided against the A7 (shock horror!)

I bought the Sony A6000!!....reason being, it's a great 1080 camera, its dirt cheap and I can upgrade to and A7S or whatever later when I have the money!!

There are some amazing videos on youtube shot with this camera, I was surprised how good!

Charlie, congratulations. I never filmed with one, but there is a lot of great footage outthere. Still I would have recommended the G7 :) But A6000 with a focal reducer will satisfy your interest in the look of 36x24mm sensor size. You might also consider the codec update to 50mbit XAVC, which gives you much more robust material. cheers

1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

If you liked the gh2 and gh5, why not go for a gx80 plus 12-60 kit lens, can be found for 650-700 in the eu.

4k does not interest you, but you can still misuse it to have really good full HD.

Hallo Yannick, HD on GX85 is not so nice unfortunately. G6 and especially G7 have much better and indeed very nice HD.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
38 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Exactly! Lowlight on the A7 is worse than on the G7.  Plus the codec is one of the worst of the last five years of DSLMs. It has an image like the VG10, aliasing and mushy and falling apart quickly. 

But A6000 with a focal reducer will satisfy your interest in the look of 36x24mm sensor size. You might also consider the codec update to 50mbit XAVC, which gives you much more robust material. cheers

They would be pretty much exactly the same accept for more moire in the a6000 and it costs more with a speed booster.

Again, it would be nice to see links to the stuff people shot that they where not satisfied with to figure out whats wrong.
And not bad stuff they have seen from others, that has no value what so ever. Im interesting in what they have shot themselves. Unless of course they have never used it and are just posting stuff they think they know about it. But that never happens on forums right..

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Ok folks, thanks again for all the comments!!!!......this is the best forum for filmmakers inmho!!

In the end I decided against the A7 (shock horror!)

I bought the Sony A6000!!....reason being, it's a great 1080 camera, its dirt cheap and I can upgrade to and A7S or whatever later when I have the money!!

There are some amazing videos on youtube shot with this camera, I was surprised how good

Congratulations. Its a great camera. Same image quality as the A7, maybe a hair more moire and smaller sensor. But its close enough. And imo, APS-C is almost starting to feel like a sweet spot bellow MF. I hope you have fun with it! :)  

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Remember to do the firmware update for the a6000, if it hasn't already had it. As then you gain XAVC (the lack of it initially in the a6000 is one reason I purchased the a5100 instead)

@Mattias Burling, out of likes for today. Your lengendary house of moire. We have one here in Berlin as well. It makes almost every camera look bad. It is used by the German docu films association. A great and fun watch:)

Like Iron and me have pointed out, the firmware update gives the A6000 50mbit XAVC. I have graded a friends A7 shots and A6000. A7 looks much worse. From images on the net I take as much info about quality like I did from your house of moire. A7 does not look like a good choice image wise. My suggestion would have been G70 with much better HD than A7, it is not even a contest, lowlight too, once 4K comes into play. But for FF lovers, Charlie did a good choice, since he has the focal reducer option plus 50mbit codec with the firmware update. Swivel screen, no, 24MP and photo quality, yes..

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@Mattias Burling, out of likes for today. Your lengendary house of moire. We have one here in Berlin as well. It makes almost every camera look bad. It is used by the German docu films association. A great and fun watch:)

Like Iron and me have pointed out, the firmware update gives the A6000 50mbit XAVC. I have graded a friends A7 shots and A6000. A7 looks much worse. From images on the net I take as much info about quality like I did from your house of moire. A7 does not look like a good choice image wise. My suggestion would have been G70 with much better HD than A7, it is not even a contest, lowlight too, once 4K comes into play. But for FF lovers, Charlie did a good choice, since he has the focal reducer option plus 50mbit codec with the firmware update. Swivel screen, no, 24MP and photo quality, yes..

I don't see the difference with my footage even after the upgrade. Also, in my experience the upgraded codec from the A7ii is actually worse that the original A7.
When looking around and specially when reviewing my own footage there definitely is a contest. I prefer the A7 image quality over the a6000. More detail and just cleaner. 

But its all subjective of course. All specs and images are. Not even resolution is written in stone that higher is better than lower. It always depends.

19 hours ago, Charlie said:

You obviously did not watch the example video i provided. Ridiculous comment!!!

21 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Any links to the footage you shot?

Could be interesting to analyze why your results are so bad when so many get good results.

I have not shot with the camera but in every video I've seen, it looks abysmal. Including the one Charlie posted. Otherwise I would have bought one by now.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

I have not shot with the camera but in every video I've seen, it looks abysmal. Including the one Charlie posted. Otherwise I would have bought one by now.

Ive seen plenty that looks awesome. I was just curious if you talked from experience since then we could see why yours looked so much worse than others.

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

@Mattias Burling More moire than the a7...?! I really don't think so :-)

BTW @Charlie how much did you pay for? In Spain?

(Going below FF I'd have chosen 4/3" instead: cheaper glass, more options and sweet spot in-between the G7 and GX85 without mention the potential use of affordable adapters towards to mimic larger formats)

I buy all my stuff from the UK. Electronics are expensive in Spain. I paid £450 for the A6000 with the kit lens. I'll definitely buy a fast prime too but I'm not sure which just yet.

23 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I buy all my stuff from the UK. Electronics are expensive in Spain. I paid £450 for the A6000 with the kit lens. I'll definitely buy a fast prime too but I'm not sure which just yet.

If you want to record in XAVC S 50Mbs codec then you are going to need a 64GB card in xFAT. For some stupid reason, a 32GB card won't work (even if formatted in xFAT). Has to be a 64GB card (I am 99% sure of this but always pays to double check).

No picture profiles on the a6000, but I have been happy using the portrait creative style and reducing saturation and contrast by -2 and detail by -1, then doing minor grading. Definitely reducing contrast in the creative style of your choice will help increase dynamic range a bit (one stop???)

No mic jack, but sony makes shotgun mics that plug into the hotshoe. Don't know if that matters to you or not.

The kit lens is useable for 1080p. Sony e mount lenses are pretty expensive (compared to their older A Mount lenses). It MIGHT be worthwhile to look for an LA-EA1 adapter (Sony A mount to Sony E mount) so that you can mount older / cheaper A mount lenses (although they will technically autofocus, the autofocus won't be that good). At least you will be able to mount some minolta MF lenses as well with an LA-EA1. I bought my adapter for $50 US and use it on my a6500 with the very capable and very inexpensive Sony A Mount 85mm f/2.8 SAM.

Sony A mount lenses DON'T have built in stabilization, so using them on an LA-EA1 adapter won't help keep things less shakey. On the other hand, there are a few sigma and tamron lenses for Sony A Mount that DO have stabilization built in, so that might be helpful.

@CharlieHey Charlie, now you can get your camera rollin again. If you are happy with S35 format, which is still the most used one for Hollywood movies, you can just use an ordinary cheap adapter for 15eu that you can buy on Ebay.co.uk or Ebay.de to avoid taxes.

I would then recommend getting the 28mm Canon FD for the moderately wider look. It´s my favorite focal length on S35. The Canon 28 FD is the best bargain lens I can recommend. Awesome performance if you don´t mind flares in backlight situations. In harsh sunlight it needs to be graded though, due to chroma. If you get one for 30usd/eu or less, don´t think twice. It can be shot wide open and is still razor sharp. I got the newFD version.

Guess what folks......I FOUND MY GH5 AND ALL MY ZEISS LENSES!!!!!! :grin::grin:

Here's the story.....last week I got incredibly hammered in many bars!!!!!

I must have hidden my camera bag because I just found it in a suitcase in one of my wardrobes!!!!

Moral of the story......drink is evil!! hahahhahahahahahh

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sell it now and go Full Frame.  But congrats on finding it... that must have felt horrific. 

Jjajajajjajaj......I'll keep it for now, other than the low light issue and I think the stills autofocus sucks.....I actually like my set up.

I have a set of vintage zeiss primes and a speed booster.

I could sell the GH5 and speedbooster though but I still wouldnt have enough money for an A7SII which is what I really want.

I would never risk to loose my equipment to drink! and I did a lot of pub crawling in my time, in Midlands, the greater Manchester area, and Edinburgh! But when I had equipment with me, I never lost control, and in times I was carrying 2-3 cameras early in the morning in dodgy streets after really crazy parties and events.

Congratulations for your find though, that would be the best day of your life, for sure!

If you sell the GH5/booster and the a6000 I am 80% positive that you could find a used Sii.