I lost my GH5! - Please help answer this!

Charlie

Hi all,

It's been a while, anyway I lost my GH5 and all my lenses like an idiot (dont ask how!)

I desperately need a new camera to keep my hobby going but dont have thousands to spend.

I've seen an amazing deal on the original Sony A7, great price!.....I realise it doesnt have 4k, IBIS, blah blah blah but i shot my best ever film on a GH2, better than anything ive done since I had the GH5. Just goes to show skills far outweigh gear!

Any reason you wouldnt get the A7 if you were on a budget?? (ive wanted to go full frame for a while anyway)

Secondly if you could only buy one (cheapish) Sony Mount lens to start with, which would you get.

PS. I just saw a video a guy shot with the A7 and it's amazing so in the right hands I know you can film great stuff. I can post the link if you want.

Thanks guys!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I only ever looked through the evf on A7s and A7r and I was not that impressed, granted it was only a short peek and no idea of setting but still. The A7r had some expensive Zeiss prime but was hunting and slow af.
I would say you need o try it and see for yourself if you can make it work well for you, I see no reason why it would not be able to take great pictures, but handling would be the number one thong that can go wrong, that and dead batteries.

9 minutes ago, no_connection said:

I only ever looked through the evf on A7s and A7r and I was not that impressed, granted it was only a short peek and no idea of setting but still. The A7r had some expensive Zeiss prime but was hunting and slow af.
I would say you need o try it and see for yourself if you can make it work well for you, I see no reason why it would not be able to take great pictures, but handling would be the number one thong that can go wrong, that and dead batteries.

It wont be for stills primarily, it will be for video......this is my reel - the first shots you see in the UK were all from the GH2 with cheap lenses....the rest in sunny Spain was the GH5. I doubt anyone would know the difference between the images!! :grin:

What’s your budget man? If the price on the A7 is driving your decision you might wanna look across the board and compare with others. On the other hand that can easily lead to getting lost in specs instead of shooting. Go with your gut and shoot the crap out of it. Great reel!

I know that feeling, I had my gh5 burned sensor from a laser while I was shooting a Dermatologist Ad. It was away for 5 months until they fixed. Bad service here in Cyprus

Anyway I was using the gh4 during the time and I was ready to shoot for an A7riii but that would set my budget behind a LOT! Also i was lost in specs and didn't shoot anything.

Don't let gear be the guidance. Let your gut and the drive take you there. Peace! 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

What’s your budget man? If the price on the A7 is driving your decision you might wanna look across the board and compare with others. On the other hand that can easily lead to getting lost in specs instead of shooting. Go with your gut and shoot the crap out of it. Great reel!

Thanks for the comment on the reel!!

There is no other full frame camera I can get for £600.00.......sure there are great cameras like the Pany G7 etc but if im honest, the low light thing has ALWAYS bugged me about micro four thirds. That and crop factors, having to add speed boosters etc etc.

Sure the A7 is no A7SII.......but then im not a pro, I dont get paid for my work unfortunately!!!!!.......and money is tight now.

£600.00 for an A7 with 12 month guarantee is a bargain!

Thanks for the helpful comments as always guys, I love this forum!!!

Now which lens should I get???? hahahahha

I can only afford one for now

50mm f1.8 or 28-70 f3.5-5.6???

Thats about all I can afford!

@Charlie Hallo, since you are asking. I would rather suggest a 5diii instead of an A7. I think A7 looks awful video wise. Or you can get a Lumix G6 for really cheap, having a nice gradeable codec and beautiful HD. If you did so great with the GH2, you will love the G6.

That, if video is your main goal. G7 has even better HD plus 4K and in 4K one stop better lowlight, iso 1600 being good enough. It might be the best deal for DSLM videoshooters.

Yeah, since you’re a hobbyist and if you could get a 5D Mark III within your budget, then I can not recommend it enough. Raw video will change your life... LOL. 

But if you don’t feel like messing with the workflow, have you seen Mattias’ D750 review? That’s another great option. 

Good luck with your new camera.

44 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@Charlie Hallo, since you are asking. I would rather suggest a 5diii instead of an A7. I think A7 looks awful video wise. Or you can get a Lumix G6 for really cheap, having a nice gradeable codec and beautiful HD. If you did so great with the GH2, you will love the G6.

That, if video is your main goal. G7 has even better HD plus 4K and in 4K one stop better lowlight, iso 1600 being good enough. It might be the best deal for DSLM videoshooters.

You cannot get a second hand 5D for £600...not even close. I answered all your other points above! :grin:

12 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Sony A6000 is good and super cheap. My girlfriend has a G7, which is fantastic for the price!

A6000 is good, true but does not interest me at all. The G7 is also good but I am TIRED of the M43 sensor. they are shite in low light, there is no denying it. I want the full frame, no more speed boosters, no more a 24mm is actually a 48mm field of view........I could go on :glasses:

@Charlie I see what you’re saying man. Yeah idk, if it was me and I was starting a new kit with $600 budget for a body, I think I personally would be looking at other factors besides full frame capability. I’d probably go with a used G85 if I could find it. But hey man best of luck, the choice is yours! 

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

@Charlie I see what you’re saying man. Yeah idk, if it was me and I was starting a new kit with $600 budget for a body, I think I personally would be looking at other factors besides full frame capability. I’d probably go with a used G85 if I could find it. But hey man best of luck, the choice is yours! 

Its M43 ahahahhahahha

I dont care about 4k, IBIS, V-LOG or any of that........I care about the art of filmmaking and those functions will not make a shit filmmaker good!!! hahahahha

A7 video - no 4k, IBIS, log etc

15 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Its M43 ahahahhahahha

I dont care about 4k, IBIS, V-LOG or any of that........I care about the art of filmmaking and those functions will not make a shit filmmaker good!!! hahahahha

A7 video - no 4k, IBIS, log etc

Right of course no camera will make a shitty filmmaker better. That’s why for every good example of a camera on YouTube you see a ton of bland/generic/shitty reels of footage. 

It really depends on your workflow/what you want/shooting style etc. If you have your heart set on that camera then get it! Shoot it. 

With the quality of camera bodies available to us my money is going more toward lenses/lighting these days. But yeah man get whatever you want and use it with all its unique quirks/pros/cons.

a6300+18-105mm is a very good cheap option if you don't need continuous shooting and you don't mind the terrible ergonomics (A7's ergonomics are terrible too if you consider the much heavier and bigger lenses). The lens is 4f but incredibly stabilized for such a cheap lens, and adequate for most things, being video or photography. a6300 has gone down, since the a6500 release and it will go down further not that A7 mk iii series is coming forward. I believe the ISO performance is even better than the A7, too. Honestly, I wouldn't look at older cameras than that, for some reasons.