Panasonic GH5 4:3 Anamorphic HDMI Out

jonathan1990

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi,

I have read the discussion about some people having trouble with black 'pillar bars' with the Small HD monitor but I am having this problem with the Ninja Flame, when trying to record the GH5's 3328 x 2496 'anamorphic mode' signal...instead of a 3328 x 2496 recording, I get a 3840x 2160 recording with the image in a box in the middle with black bars on either side.  Has anyone had this problem, or is anyone aware of what settings I may have wrong either on the recorder or the camera?  Thanks

On 4/4/2019 at 1:19 PM, rdollase said:

Hi,

I have read the discussion about some people having trouble with black 'pillar bars' with the Small HD monitor but I am having this problem with the Ninja Flame, when trying to record the GH5's 3328 x 2496 'anamorphic mode' signal...instead of a 3328 x 2496 recording, I get a 3840x 2160 recording with the image in a box in the middle with black bars on either side.  Has anyone had this problem, or is anyone aware of what settings I may have wrong either on the recorder or the camera?  Thanks

Yes. The HDMI protocol doesn't support above 4K signal (same issue as previously in this thread and also on GH4). 2496 high is more than 2160 which is 4K spec that GH5/4 sends over HDMI for recording.

see - https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4k.aspx

On 4/3/2019 at 10:19 PM, rdollase said:

Hi,

Yes. The HDMI protocol doesn't support above 4K signal (same issue as previously in this thread and also on GH4). 2496 high is more than 2160 which is 4K spec that GH5/4 sends over HDMI for recording.

see - https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4k.aspx

Thanks.  It's a shame, the actual pixel count is so similar.  I'll probably use the Atomos' recording anyway, though smaller, because I like the way the pro res looks vs what the camera records.

8 hours ago, rdollase said:

Thanks.  It's a shame, the actual pixel count is so similar.  I'll probably use the Atomos' recording anyway, though smaller, because I like the way the pro res looks vs what the camera records.

I've seen quite a few tests that show internal recording on the GH5 is better quality than anything done on an external recorder (except maybe 10it 60fps, which it can't do internal). Something to keep in mind.

When I used GH5 as my primary camera I just transcoded the footage to Prores later.