Panasonic GH5 4:3 Anamorphic HDMI Out

jonathan1990

hey folks,

i am planning to shoot a piece with the GH5 and a 2x SLR Magic anamorphic adapter.

I would like to record internally with either of the following settings:

Anamorphic 4:3, 3328x2496, 24p, 400Mbps, 10Bit 4:2:2, All-Intra, MOV/MP4

Anamorphic 4:3, 4992x3744, 24p, 200Mbps, 10Bit 4:2:2, Long GOP, MOV/MP4

Will i be able to output a signal via HDMI to a Small HD 502 f.e. or will the output be DISABLED while i am recording internally? In this case i have to go with an Atomos Ninja i guess.

Looking forward to any answers, cause i can't find a clear info on that topic online.

best regards,

jonathan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I got an answer.

I just tested the Panasonic GH5 with the newest firmware and the Small HD 503 / Atomos Shogun Inferno.

First of all. If you want to record with the folllowing settings internally:

.. you WILL NOT have a picture on both monitors.

If you records with the other setting:

Anamorphic 4:3, 3328x2496, 24p/25p/50p, 400Mbps, 10Bit 4:2:2, All-Intra, MOV/MP4

.. you HAVE a picture on both monitors.

But the Small HD has a scaling issue. It is basically a picture-in-picture. You can punch in via the DSLR scaling, but it still has black bars left and right.

The Atomos Inferno was fine and looked great.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Jonathan

19 hours ago, jonathan1990 said:

I got an answer.

I just tested the Panasonic GH5 with the newest firmware and the Small HD 503 / Atomos Shogun Inferno.

If you records with the other setting:

Anamorphic 4:3, 3328x2496, 24p/25p/50p, 400Mbps, 10Bit 4:2:2, All-Intra, MOV/MP4

.. you HAVE a picture on both monitors.

But the Small HD has a scaling issue. It is basically a picture-in-picture. You can punch in via the DSLR scaling, but it still has black bars left and right.

The Atomos Inferno was fine and looked great.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Jonathan

On SmallHD monitor you can scale the image after you have the anamorphic stretch chosen.

When I shoot with my 2x anamorphic + gh5 + SmallHD Focus I put the scale value to 75 (width). Then it fills up the whole screen. I believe this custom scale setting is in all SmallHD monitors.

The ”6k” anamorphic (4:3, 4992x3744) mode can’t be viewed when recording from SmalllHD which is a bummer. You will see it when not recording but after hitting rec you lose the signal.

5 hours ago, Teemu said:

On SmallHD monitor you can scale the image after you have the anamorphic stretch chosen.

When I shoot with my 2x anamorphic + gh5 + SmallHD Focus I put the scale value to 75 (width). Then it fills up the whole screen. I believe this custom scale setting is in all SmallHD monitors.

The ”6k” anamorphic (4:3, 4992x3744) mode can’t be viewed when recording from SmalllHD which is a bummer. You will see it when not recording but after hitting rec you lose the signal.

Interesting. I don't have that scaling option on the 502. I normally just select Canon 5D scaling and it helps fill out anamorphic, although not 100%.

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Interesting. I don't have that scaling option on the 502. I normally just select Canon 5D scaling and it helps fill out anamorphic, although not 100%.

Really? I thought it would be setting that is in all SmallHD monitors. And to be precise its ”cropping” what I am doing. But that is under menu called ”Crop&Scale”. I noticed if I use the DSLR scale it will not show the exact frame for some reason. At least on GH5 in anamorphic mode. It will punch in the image slightly and don’t even fill entire screen as @AaronChicago described.

On 15. Februar 2018 at 8:31 AM, Teemu said:

That's actually awesome. I thought i had gone through the whole menu. Perfect!

On 15. Februar 2018 at 8:31 AM, Teemu said:

@Teemu and just to be sure. You are working with a Small HD focus and record internally with the following settings:

Anamorphic 4:3, 3328x2496, 24p/25p, 400Mbps, 10Bit 4:2:2, All-Intra, MOV/MP4

And everything works fine?

On 16.2.2018 at 9:37 PM, jonathan1990 said:

@Teemu and just to be sure. You are working with a Small HD focus and record internally with the following settings:

Anamorphic 4:3, 3328x2496, 24p/25p, 400Mbps, 10Bit 4:2:2, All-Intra, MOV/MP4

And everything works fine?

That’s correct! :)

On 15.2.2018 at 8:31 AM, Teemu said:

@Teemu sorry, i don't wanna be a pain in the arse, but i need to follow up on this one more time. I've just thrown a signal from our A7sII on the Small HD 503 and as it is fullscreen already, the scaling tool only allowed to scale it down from 100. Reversely that means the monitor registers the smaller 4:3 signal and gives a starting point of 50 and i can scale up? It this the way it works for you? And to you have separate controls for height & width? Because i just got SIZE.

5 hours ago, jonathan1990 said:

@Teemu sorry, i don't wanna be a pain in the arse, but i need to follow up on this one more time. I've just thrown a signal from our A7sII on the Small HD 503 and as it is fullscreen already, the scaling tool only allowed to scale it down from 100. Reversely that means the monitor registers the smaller 4:3 signal and gives a starting point of 50 and i can scale up? It this the way it works for you? And to you have separate controls for height & width? Because i just got SIZE.

It is Crop&Scale menu inside the pages menu. Not in the main setup of the monitor (where the anamorphic desqueeze is for example). I ment to say cropping earlier not scaling.

1 hour ago, Teemu said:

It is Crop&Scale menu inside the pages menu. Not in the main setup of the monitor (where the anamorphic desqueeze is for example). I ment to say cropping earlier not scaling.

But if the picture is just too small for the frame how does simple cropping help? I don't get it, because i theory i need to scale up, right? If you could do a quick handy video on how you do it, that would be awesome.

On 16.2.2018 at 5:33 PM, AaronChicago said:

I'm eating my words. I talked with SmallHD and there actually is a crop and scale setting inside the page menu (not the main menu). Awesome!

@AaronChicago did you make it work on your 502?

30 minutes ago, jonathan1990 said:

But if the picture is just too small for the frame how does simple cropping help? I don't get it, because i theory i need to scale up, right? If you could do a quick handy video on how you do it, that would be awesome.

@AaronChicago did you make it work on your 502?

Because you have to crop the black area away that it includes to the sides of the image. It feels quite stupid thing but it woks. I don’t have my gear at home. I try to remember and shoot small video when at studio next time.

• 1 year later...

Is that a GH5 thing or will it work on another monitor like the Ninja V?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 11:17 PM, tweak said:

It's a HDMI limitation. You can't output a 5K signal over GH5 HDMI.

This is bad, as I stay in "6K" HLG mode MOST of the time.

Panasonic should really fix this, by offering a 4k, or smaller signal out to HDMI at the same time.