Panasonic GX9

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Unfortunately @Márcio Kabke Pinheiro you were right and I doubt we will ever see an updated GX8. 

Much worse EVF, no mic input, no HLG, scaled back IBIS...

Naming it GX9 was a mistake - only if they will never do another proper GXx camera.

But as a GX85 upgrade, it is a interesting one.

• Super Members

Panasonic's nomenclature has bit them on the arse with this I think.

All of the previews I'm seeing of it are referencing the GX8 rather than the GX80/85.

Its a better GX80/85 for sure but if I'd been holding off buying one of those waiting for this then I'm not sure I wouldn't be at the shop looking for end of line stock and put the £250 saving towards lenses.

It would have been awesome for my needs if it had the GX8 body and high bitrate plus resolution for HD up to 60p. I think this camera will not sell well. I find this camera weird since there is a GX85, which is only 4MP short of 20MP.

28 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

It seems like they have kept what I liked in my GX7 and improved on what I didn't like on the GX8.

This could turn out to be one helluva camera.

I think you might not find a difference in ergos compared to the GX85 which did not fare so well to your needs. Though if EVF is great then it could be interesting.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

It would have been awesome for my needs if it had the GX8 body and high bitrate plus resolution for HD up to 60p. I think this camera will not sell well. I find this camera weird since there is a GX85, which is only 4MP short of 20MP.

I think you might not find a difference in ergos compared to the GX85 which did not fare so well to your needs. Though if EVF is great then it could be interesting.

EVF is the same of the GX85. Tearing does not bother me, the size yes (for photos).

I think it will be a good seller. For photos, it is a very good upgrade from GX85, in MP count and control wise. Much better than the E-M10 MK III.
For videos, for starters / enthusiasts, good value too, as is the GX85. But for video guys that already have the GX85, maybe not so much, specially if you could not use the @BTM_Pix hack (and probably Panasonic closed that option).

• Super Members
8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

The grip brings it closer to the GX7 ergonomics. The lauout is GX8. And best of all, tilt EVF.

Imo this is an upgrade both for the gx8 and gx85. And it makes sense. Kill the middle line. Just like Nikon, Pentax and in a sense Canon has done.

• Super Members

I would even choose the GX7 over the GX80. For me usability is at the top of the spec list. I rather not give up control to save a buck. 

If the GX9 follows the GX80 price it will drop 50% on sale within a few months. 

If the 4K is cropped or not doesn't matter to me. Anything over 1" is fine.

40 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would even choose the GX7 over the GX80. For me usability is at the top of the spec list. I rather not give up control to save a buck. 

If the GX9 follows the GX80 price it will drop 50% on sale within a few months. 

If the 4K is cropped or not doesn't matter to me. Anything over 1" is fine.

Good for you if you don't mind the crop. I was just comparing the two offerings from Panasonic. I paid 599 Euros for my GX80 when it came out. I've seen it new for as low as 20% off, but I'd be surprised to see it for 50% off (link?). At $999 with the 12-60 Panasonic lens (too bad they didn't match it with the 20mm or even the 14mm and make it less expensive), the GX9 isn't as good of a deal IMO, unless the GX7's usability features were really important to you. The Panasonic 12-60 is too big of a lens for this camera IMO; it's a much better match for the G7, G8, G9, GH4, etc..

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The grip brings it closer to the GX7 ergonomics. The lauout is GX8. And best of all, tilt EVF.

Imo this is an upgrade both for the gx8 and gx85. And it makes sense. Kill the middle line. Just like Nikon, Pentax and in a sense Canon has done.

There will be a GX900, a low end model. I think they´ll drop the top (line:), with the GX9 being a middleground camera. Regarding grip, you might be right. One would have to hold it to be sure. To me it doesn´t look like an improvement in that regard. If EVF quality is the same as on the GX85, not so nice in my eyes.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Good for you if you don't mind the crop. I was just comparing the two offerings from Panasonic. I paid 599 Euros for my GX80 when it came out. I've seen it new for as low as 20% off, but I'd be surprised to see it for 50% off (link?). 

Was it made out of gold? ;)

Here Its constantly on sale for €300. Almost every month. Used but in mint condition we are in the low $200.
I bought it when new, I think a month after release, for something like $499 including the 20mm f1.7. Its just how it is here. These cameras are hard to sell.

23 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

There will be a GX900, a low end model. I think they´ll drop the top (line:), with the GX9 being a middleground camera. Regarding grip, you might be right. One would have to hold it to be sure. To me it doesn´t look like an improvement in that regard. If EVF quality is the same as on the GX85, not so nice in my eyes.

The GH5 is the top line in my book.
I loved the tilt EVF on the GX7 and I love it on my Ricoh GXR now. Its a feature I wish all cameras had.

51 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Was it made out of gold? ;)

No, just a pretty good camera for its time. That's all. ;) I'm not a professional camera reviewer. I get a camera and stick with it for 5 years or so until the tech gets a generation better. I shoot the things that please me and try to have fun with it. The GX9 isn't a generation better over the GX80 IMO. I had the GX7 for about a month and the GX80, in terms of footage, seemed a generation better.

52 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Here Its constantly on sale for €300. Almost every month. Used but in mint condition we are in the low $200.
I bought it when new, I think a month after release, for something like $499 including the 20mm f1.7. Its just how it is here. These cameras are hard to sell.

In Sweden, I guess. I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. Again, I don't need to get the money to buy another camera to review. I just shoot for pleasure.

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

You and me both. Thats why the gx80 had to go for the gx7. Pleasure of shooting trumps specs imo.

Well, if the tiltable viewfinder and focus button are what toots your horn, go for it! For me, it wasn't. Funny enough, you never did put the GX7 on your top 5 list, nor any other M43 camera. I'm beginning to think you don't even like the system. ;)  Again, I'm not a pro-reviewer... just a consumer on the lookout.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Funny enough, you never did put the GX7 on your top 5 list, nor any other M43 camera.

Yes I did.

4 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Again, I'm not a pro-reviewer... just a consumer on the lookout.

You and me both. I never have, nor ever will buy a camera just review it. But unlike you I could never ditch a camera after only a month unless I really hated it :)

44 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yes I did.

I was referring to your Feb 11 Youtube video.

45 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

You and me both. I never have, nor ever will buy a camera just review it. But unlike you I could never ditch a camera after only a month unless I really hated it :)

:astonished: I've watched a lot of your videos... you're either a pro camera collector or pro camera reviewer. Which one is it or both? I liked the GX7, but the camera strap ring was digging into my right hand when I held it... Amazon's return policy is 30 days in France. The GX80 was only marginally more expensive. That's all.

I would only upgrade my gx80 if the viewfinder was better. Too difficult to manually focus with EVF even with peaking.  The GH5 I just got is significantly better, as is every Olympus since e-m5 including the vf4 on my old pen cameras.  Shame panasonic hasn’t  implemented in-recording punch-in focus.

That being said, I do love the size and image quality of the gx80. You can pretty much shoot anywhere without being noticed.

The main advantages for me using the GH5 are the IBIS is significantly smoother (like olympus quality) with the PL12-60, the EVF is miles better, and the slow motion is outstanding. I was shooting Olympic halfpipe slowmotion 180 and 100fps (in 1080p ETC mode) with the 12-60 and 100-400 (at 1600 35mm equivalent) and the fact that I could actually even do so hand held is insane.