Panasonic GX9

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Is the GX8 dead then? https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-compact-system-cameras/dmc-gx8m.html

The GX85 wasn't a replacement for the GX8 but a lower-end model.

Now the GX9 seems to be a replacement for both! Unless they do a GX10?

Bleah, I take back what I said earlier. Looks like Panasonic have no idea what they're doing with their product nomenclature.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, leeys said:

Bleah, I take back what I said earlier. Looks like Panasonic have no idea what they're doing with their product nomenclature.

They are kinda using the same nomenclature as Canon and Nikon. Higher number is lower end segment. First number is generation.

Gx8, gx80, gx800

7D, 70D, 700d

Etc

In none of the photos is possible to see the model number. Hope that this is the GX90 (and we can remember that the GX85 is called GX7 MKII in Japan).

Because it is more a GX85 upgrade than a GX8 upgrade. Body based in GX85, notably - grip too small for heavier lenses, not weather sealed for sure, probabaly the same smallish abttery. The EVF looks like the same from GX7 / GX85, which is very small in these days (I have the GX85). Less custom buttons than the GX8 too. It is not the "top photo rangefinder style" as the previous GXs.

If it is indeed the GX90, than it is much more interesting, specially if it is the same price range. Back are the tilt EVF (like it a lot), the focus mode switch, the AE/AF Lock button looks like more usable now, and the EV dial allow to use the back dial for other purposes.

Killing the GX8 and its potential upgrade makes a lot of sense. 

The camera market is shrinking. Panasonic don't need a pro and enthusiast DSLR style body, a pro and enthusiast rangefinder, pro and enthusiast compacts, and now specialty offshoots of the GH line as well. It's overkill. 

I don't think the GX8 sold well, and if the G9 really is replacing the G85 as has been rumoured, they need to focus something on the lower end of the market. Pushing a few models that each have a specific section of the market in mind makes way more sense than releasing a whole bunch that trample on each other's intended demographic. Makes it harder to market too. 

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, Brother said:

Hoping for a mic jack and no 4k crop but other than the "new" 20 mpix sensor not much seems to have changed since the GX80. $999 seems a bit to much but time will tell.

Didn't the GX8 already have that? If so they probably will keep it. 
The only thing missing in the GX8 imo was IBIS in 4K. It even had cinelike  D.

Wex in the UK have the GX9 on pre-order at £699 body-only - https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panasonic-gx9-digital-camera-body-1652892/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=4416669&utm_campaign=1652892-b&eid=781996

...and the spec is up on dpreview - https://***URL removed***/news/8865133559/panasonic-lumix-gx9-offers-20mp-with-no-low-pass-filter-improved-shutter-mechanism (looks pretty much like a GX85 with 20MP sensor, tilting viewfinder and more physical controls, so basically a hybrid of the GX85 and GX8).

Photographyblog's preview said that the camera is a GX85 upgrade, not a GX8 replacement - than it makes much more sense.

Prices in USA:

$997 in kit with the 12-60 3.5-5.6 (lot the Leica one)
$699 body only

There will be kit with the 20mm 1.7 and the 12-32 pancake.

And now it have and optional external grip, which solves one of my biggest gripes (pun intended) with the GX85.

panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9-hand-grip.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No Cinelike D on it.

I'll have to pop into a shop with this and see whether it can be persuaded then eh?

New_Controller.jpg

Look who's back! :)  (or you appeared in another topic?)

Interested in this little box...

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What is it?

Its the distillation of my hardware Panasonic controller experiments from last year.

Self contained, internal battery, pocketable, magnetic base for mounting.

It acts as the central interface to the camera so can be used standalone to change settings or as the middleman to pass on commands from more ergonomic controllers for focus and aperture control etc.

And it actually sort of kind of works as well.